View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

83 33.20%
  • ★★★★

84 33.60%
  • ★★★

55 22.00%
  • ★★

18 7.20%
  • 10 4.00%
Page 79 of 107 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1591

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    No one is saying you can’t criticize Hickman. Just stop verbally punching down at minorities and calling it criticism. That’s all I’m saying. Stop categorizing POSSIBLE character decisions you personally have a moral disagreement with as ‘gross’ or ‘perverted’ or ‘not possible’ and I’ll be cool. Maybe even apologize for doing so so many times Already instead of making excuses. That’d be nice too, though it isn’t necessary.
    When I was punching minorities?

When I said it is not possible or OOC, it is because it is truth. Try to force something that doesn't fit character only screw up what you are trying to do

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

When I said it is not possible or OOC, it is because it is truth. Try to force something that doesn't fit character only screw up what you are trying to do
    Every time you refer to POSSIBLE (not confirmed) polyamory as ‘gross’ or ‘perverted’ or ‘forced’ or ‘impossible’ or ‘wrong’, you are punching down at real people, real fans, because you dislike a thing. Words have meanings, and those are words that sexual minorities hear ALL THE TIME.

In this situation, what you are doing isn’t ‘criticism’ based on story or character, as many have presented ways in which this POSSIBLE direction might be possible/reasonable within what we know. It is your personal prejudice. That is my only objection. I can disagree with you about plotting or characterization and just shake my head and move on, but casting ‘moral’ aspersions on a lifestyle/sexuality you personally disagree with isn’t cool.
    Last edited by zinderel; 10-19-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Ooooh. You mean like those crackships from Age of X-Man?

You were vehemently against those in the name of good plotting and characterization, right?

I’m with you! But back to The issue..

It was a solid #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I’m with you! But back to The issue..

It was a solid #1.
    I thought it let down a bit. and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Ooooh. You mean like those crackships from Age of X-Man?

You were vehemently against those in the name of good plotting and characterization, right?
    It's a AU, there isn't needed for justificative. Not that I think all of them were crackships

You can't really criticize Hickman yet because the criticism are kinda silly at the moment imo. People are OOC based on what? 13 issues of books. And normally that would be enough except HoX and PoX was telling a general story never focusing on any character. Ony Moria got a book of development. There is no character arc in HoX and PoX, Nobody grows and develops in those books. We see ONE X-men-mission. It is fine not to like the initial direction and criticize the feel of the book those are fair complaints but they complaints can only go so far because they why of many things haven't been explained and they will be explain over several books.

People are complaining that this doesn't feel like the old characters. Well they are living mutant island where nobody can die and they have had a big shift in philosophy. Everybody should feel different because that big of life change would do that. People want characters to be static who they were before with massive life alternating changing in their life. The characters being different is not completely valid complaint. It will become a valid complaint if the books don't flesh out why people are acting different in this new environment.There are valid complaints but most complaints are about things that haven't happened yet.

Also people aren't looking big picture,Hickman has done the lord's work with world building and franchise repair.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-19-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I just remember something about the poster I quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You can't really criticize Hickman yet because the criticism are kinda silly at the moment imo. People are OOC based on what? 13 issues of books..
    Ok, enough. You can absolutely judge a book with "only" 13 issues. Dude, most series don't even last 12 issues in this era. So what, you can't say all of those were good or bad, just were?

This is actually one of the worst stances you can have. "Oh you can't decide anything because we've seen so little!"

BANNED

You can show a great character work in a couple of dialogue-less panels, nevermind 13 whole issues.

Also, the major characters and villains were coming back whether the writer was Hickman or Chuck Austen, simply because Marvel got their precious movie rights. We were going to get long-term planning regardless of the writer for the same reason.

Also, there were good books in the ResurrXion era. Hickman didn't invent X-Men.

I'm not opposed to Hickman and am slightly intrigued by what has been set up, but the books so far are not absolutely above reproach....the characterization is mostly questionable, frankly, even given a stat quo shift.

The cult-like *snicker* demanding that literally everyone worship the run and show deference is goofy. Relax. Some people are not going to be enthralled. Some will be contrarian at times, sometimes only for the heck of it *points at self*. It's ok.

Repeating: X-Men was going to see a major marketing investment and refocusing whether we got Hickman or stole the freaking Avengers writer. Calm down.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 10-20-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Ok, enough. You can absolutely judge a book with "only" 13 issues. Dude, most series don't even last 12 issues in this era. So what, you can't say all of those were good or bad, just were?

This is actually one of the worst stances you can have. "Oh you can't decide anything because we've seen so little!"
    I think you have mistaken the point people are talking about characters being out of characters.

In those 12 issues who had actually page time for people to get a good feel of them. HoX and PoX were pure set up and not really indicative of what the X-men run is going to be. It was 12 issue set up chapter to a very long book that probably isn't going to be like that chapter. Here is the thing you can't tell me I am wrong and I can't completely say I am right "because we've seen so little". What people are doing, It is like judging the entire season Walking dead show on the first two episodes which was mainly a flashback before the apocalypse. And people are going well Rick is this nice guy and I don't think things are so bad in this world. People are going right now I already know what the show is going to be off these episodes.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-20-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I think you have mistaken the point people are talking about characters being out of characters.

In those 12 issues who had actually page time for people to get a good feel of them. HoX and PoX were pure set up and not really indicative of what the X-men run is going to be. It was 12 issue set up chapter to a very long book that probably isn't going to be like that chapter. Here is the thing you can't tell me I am wrong and I can't completely say I am right "because we've seen so little". What people are doing, It is like judging the entire season Walking dead show on the first two episodes which was mainly a flashback before the apocalypse. And people are going well Rick is this nice guy and I don't think things are so bad in this world. People are going right now I already know what the show is going to be off these episodes.
    I concur.

It way to early to judge. We don’t even know the direction the book is heading to.

Fine I will even rephrase it is early enough to judge but people should real wait until you have more information and better "feel" for what is happening in the story Hickman use a little of misdirection (see the librarian reveal). And get we answer to certain questions like who is the bad guy. If Moria or Xavier isn't the bad guy doesn't that change the whole thought process of the thing? We haven't seen anybody object yet, We haven't seen if people object but are going along for the great good. In new mutants Armor and her team are going out to people who didn't come to Krakoa. There might be actually answer to things you "feel" are wrong.

There is too much this "feels" off which often means I don't have enough evidence to present an actually case because if something was actually off you would point it as" here is what is wrong with the book". If people were actually coming with point A, point B, point C here is what is wrong the book I wouldn't have an issue. But instead we are talking about "feel" instead of Cyclops didn't something he would never do, Xavier did something he would never do. And let's talk Xavier yeah he feels off but that is the story. There is why he "feels" off that will be explained and will probably explain why others "feel" off. Don't you have better understand for Storm, Magneto and Cyclops after reading this issue? That is power of actually focusing on characters and not the general story.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-20-2019 at 01:37 AM.

Astonishing Member

79 pages...and it's really just the same tired recycled arguments carried over from HoX/PoX.

We need to do better. Like maybe actually discuss the contents of the issue rather than focusing on "not my xmen" sentiments or Jean's love life.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    79 pages...and it's really just the same tired recycled arguments carried over from HoX/PoX.

We need to do better. Like maybe actually discuss the contents of the issue rather than focusing on "not my xmen" sentiments or Jean's love life.
    Maybe we can't? Like this board is on a loop and we're all unwillingly stuck to keeping the loop intact...I meeeeean every 70 or so pages a poster does highlight the previous pages as the same ol' same ol'+Jean Grey
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post

I'm waiting eargerly for you to have a new shining idea that will reinvigorate this thread and bring it to new horizons…
    Otherwise, we can stop here.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    You can show a great character work in a couple of dialogue-less panels, nevermind 13 whole issues.

Also, the major characters and villains were coming back whether the writer was Hickman or Chuck Austen, simply because Marvel got their precious movie rights. We were going to get long-term planning regardless of the writer for the same reason.

Also, there were good books in the ResurrXion era. Hickman didn't invent X-Men.

I'm not opposed to Hickman and am slightly intrigued by what has been set up, but the books so far are not absolutely above reproach....the characterization is mostly questionable, frankly, even given a stat quo shift.

The cult-like *snicker* demanding that literally everyone worship the run and show deference is goofy. Relax. Some people are not going to be enthralled. Some will be contrarian at times, sometimes only for the heck of it *points at self*. It's ok.

Repeating: X-Men was going to see a major marketing investment and refocusing whether we got Hickman or stole the freaking Avengers writer. Calm down.
    True, we were about to get better quality and a direction on x-books. Hickman happened because he was slated for a long time to write X books.

why do discussions if we can't really discuss the book? we have to deal with positive and negative.

13 issues should be more than enough to form a opinion, sure it can always change. That is part of liking a ongoing work, many things I didn't liked and started liking