View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

83 33.20%
  • ★★★★

84 33.60%
  • ★★★

55 22.00%
  • ★★

18 7.20%
  • 10 4.00%
Page 43 of 107 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    These characters have story, nothing say they are poliamor much the contrary, thery are mono. Anything else is fan wishing and cheap retcons
    Once upon a time Iceman was straight. Things change. A lifetime of monogamy doesn’t preclude one day becoming poly. Everyone who’s poly was once monogamist until they weren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    God forbid relationships or characters evolve past your own prejudices...
    It has nothing to do with prejudices

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Once upon a time Iceman was straight. Things change. A lifetime of monogamy doesn’t preclude one day becoming poly. Everyone who’s poly was once monogamist until they weren’t.
    He has been hinting as gay for decades. Completely different case

All I see is people trying to force thing for the sake of whatever. Bad look

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Yes, a love triangle that now seems to have moved past nostalgia into three or four dimensions, thanks to the Sinister Secrets, some key panels in HoX, and this issue.
    People really think love triangles go away.

And a secret that isnt about those characters
    Last edited by spirit2011; 10-16-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It has nothing to do with prejudices
    Of course not...neither does Mike Pence!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zinderel; 10-16-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I don’t see much out of character here.
    I'm actually a bit interested in how it seems in character? As someone who thinks polyamory doesn't seem like a natural progression for these characters, I'm a bit interested in this view. I think there are characters in the X-men it might make sense with, but I'm not too sure with these four. I'm interested in your opinion if you wouldn't mind sharing?
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by djoki96 View Post
    Nope. The Main Four (Scott, Jean, Logan, and Emma) are pretty much at fault for everything (especially Scott, though).

But, fine, I'll admit, they're better than Xavier. Whether this version of him, or any other version of him.
    I feel like you are arguing for the sake of it. This is not some wild interpretation. Scott was manipulated by Sinister who wanted to breed his clone of Jean with him.

If we are into speculation territory I would argue Maddie never had a real soul and that when the phoenix brought her lifeless husk to life it effectively allowed Jean’s soul to temporarily inhabit the soulless body. Therefore, if Hickman ever explores the story he will more than likely use it as an example of soulless resurrection and the problems that can bring. In other words justice for Jean and Scott.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I can’t think of a bigger catalyst for characters to change - even in unexpected ways - than newfound immortality (or, if not eternal life, at least the likelihood of living a full one thanks to the occasional resurrection). I sure as heck would have slept around a hell of a lot more in my single days if I knew I didn’t have to worry about diseases (e.g. if I could just have Goldballs whip me up a new body if things went awry). We can’t definitively say what these characters we know would or would not do - we can guess based on past experience, but who knows how any of us would act in such a radically different world? Fear of death motivates plenty of my decisions on a daily basis. Without that? A lot of the old hang ups wouldn’t mean much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bkart1978 View Post
    I can’t think of a bigger catalyst for characters to change - even in unexpected ways - than newfound immortality (or, if not eternal life, at least the likelihood of living a full one thanks to the occasional resurrection). I sure as heck would have slept around a hell of a lot more in my single days if I knew I didn’t have to worry about diseases (e.g. if I could just have Goldballs whip me up a new body if things went awry). We can’t definitively say what these characters we know would or would not do - we can guess based on past experience, but who knows how any of us would act in such a radically different world? Fear of death motivates plenty of my decisions on a daily basis. Without that? A lot of the old hang ups wouldn’t mean much anymore.
    It seems a giant and also ressurrection isnt forever, they gonna dier. Immortaliy for me would mean slow down and pick better relationships

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I'm actually a bit interested in how it seems in character? As someone who thinks polyamory doesn't seem like a natural progression for these characters, I'm a bit interested in this view. I think there are characters in the X-men it might make sense with, but I'm not too sure with these four. I'm interested in your opinion if you wouldn't mind sharing?
    Mainly, because they are fictional characters, literally anything the author has them do is ‘in character’ unless we are informed otherwise by editorial fiat or twists and turns of storytelling.

Specifically regarding the Emma-Scott-Jean-Logan situation, all we REALLY have in-universe is speculation based on art cues. Based on that speculation, we have real-life people who think it’d be great to see something akin to their own experience represented on page. I think that’s fantastic. It’s not as personal an issue to me as when Iceman came out later in his life, after numerous unhappy heterosexual relationships led people to speculate IRL about his sexuality. Or when being a RicStar shipper based on dialogue and art cues was something that got me laughed at. I guess that just...seeing people **** on other people’s joy bothers me.

I personally couldn’t care less how The quadrangle works out, myself. I find the entire soap opera drama of the foursome to be overwrought and tedious. But I have to admit that seeing polyamory represented in a positive way, one that shows adults doing what adults do and working things out between them, no matter what anyone else says or thinks, is pretty cool. This foursome has a history of swapping and longing and cheating. Why not take the next step and stop cheating and just...do the thing that makes them all happy and doesn’t break hearts? Who does it hurt?
    Last edited by zinderel; 10-16-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Mainly, because they are fictional characters, literally anything the author has them do is ‘in character’ unless we are informed otherwise by editorial fiat or twists and turns of storytelling.
    Shhh Stop dropping facts around here, Leave to us pick and choose the fiction we deem correct as the truth. So no more facts please

Specifically regarding the Emma-Scott-Jean-Logan situation, all we REALLY have in-universe is speculation based on art cues. Based on that speculation, we have real-life people who think it’d be great to see something akin to their own experience represented on page. I think that’s fantastic. It’s not as personal an issue to me as when Iceman came out later in his life, after numerous unhappy heterosexual relationships led people to speculate IRL about his sexuality. Or when being a RicStar shipper based on dialogue and art cues was something that got me laughed at. I guess that just...seeing people **** on other people’s joy bothers me.

I personally couldn’t care less how The quadrangle works out, myself. I find the entire soap opera drama of the foursome to be overwrought and tedious. But I have to admit that seeing polyamory represented in a positive way, one that shows adults doing what adults do and working things out between them, no matter what anyone else says or thinks, is pretty cool. This foursome has a history of swapping and longing and cheating. Why not take the next step and stop cheating and just...do the thing that makes them all happy and doesn’t break hearts? Who does it hurt?
    I don't agree with the hate being aimed at polyamory. I hold the belief that people should do as they want so long as it isn't harmful to themselves or others. That being said with fictional characters, I would like previous work and continuity to at least be respected in some regard. They may be fictional, but a level of respect should be kept, especially if they are used to spread positive influence. If not, then what's the point? I don't think previous work should be openly ignored.

In regards to them moving forward together, too many years of bad blood make it seem odd. Add to that their personalities.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Double post
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Shhh Stop dropping facts around here, Leave to us pick and choose the fiction we deem correct as the truth. So no more facts please
    You mean decades of characterization facts

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    While this is an indisputable fact, characters tend to have voices and personas. Writing that tends to go against established personas usually gets viewed as terrible writing. I'm not saying this applies to the current discussion, but I think it's an important aspect to consider.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I don't agree with the hate being aimed at polyamory. I hold the belief that people should do as they want so long as it isn't harmful to themselves or others. That being said with fictional characters, I would like previous work and continuity to at least be respected in some regard. They may be fictional, but a level of respect should be kept, especially if they are used to spread positive influence. If not, then what's the point? I don't think previous work should be openly ignored.

In regards to them moving forward together, too many years of bad blood make it seem odd. Add to that their personalities.
    I think finally having a sense of hope and a feeling of security after a lifetime (or more, in Wolverine’s case) of being on the run and waiting for the next round of murderbots and religious fanatic kill squads to destroy your home again go a long way towards mending fences and putting little dramas into perspective. Krakoa is a new beginning for EVERYONE. WE. Know things aren’t as great as they seem. WE know there are serpents in the garden. But right now, the people we love and have followed most of our lives are seeing everything they’ve fought for comingvto pass. To them, it’s a brave new world and a perfect time to cast off human prejudices and just find ways for themselves to be happy.

I think that’s pretty fantastic, and I’m all for it. Prudery and holier-than-thou judgement of others based on Bronze Age morality is tiresome. It’s time to stop letting what some shepherds and nomads thousands of years back thought about how adults should act tell us how to live.