View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

83 33.20%
  • ★★★★

84 33.60%
  • ★★★

55 22.00%
  • ★★

18 7.20%
  • 10 4.00%
Page 76 of 107 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1591

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    The fact is the X-Men's worldview and ethos have shifted because the real world has shifted. They have always been an allegory for minority rights. What we have seen over the last two decades is a shift in state power and recognition of many minorities, at times for the better, and at other times for the far worse. Brown and black people are caged or shot down in the streets. Laws are enacted to attempt to roll back rights to marry or adopt. Other nations around the world actively persecute and attempt to exterminate queer people or a slew of ethnic minorities, indigenous peoples or political dissidents.

The fact is the old ways of peaceful protest and open dialogue only get us so far. The X-Men have become radicalized because real people like them began to have to adopt more aggressive methods to fight for their own rights and survival. There is no going back to how it was in the '80s and '90s. They are different because we are different.
    Hickman is certainly very different from Claremont. I personally don't need cynical and hopeless stories that trap people in a endless cycle of violence. I leave that to readers that feel nourished by that. "A brave new world", indeed… It's also a novel I read a long time ago.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Hickman is certainly very different from Claremont. I personally don't need cynical and hopeless stories that trap people in a endless cycle of violence. I leave that to readers that feel nourished by that.
    I found most of the last 15 years cynical and hopeless. This is the opposite IMO. It is proactive, complex, subversive and radical but also hopeful and full of new ideas and possibilities.

I found most of the last 15 years cynical and hopeless. This is the opposite IMO. It is proactive, complex, subversive and radical but also hopeful and full of new ideas and possibilities.
    It's cynical and hopeless because the mutants don't seem to feel… They look like puppets in the hands of Hickman.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

It's cynical and hopeless because the mutants don't seem to feel… They look like puppets in the hands of Hickman.
    That's your opinion. I disagree.

That's your opinion. I disagree.
    As you have the right to. I find satisfaction from seeing people enjoying their purchase.

This new take isn’t hopeless like what had been present but it certainly is still quite cynical but in a different way. Sure they seem celebratory, but there’s a coldness to the whole thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    This new take isn’t hopeless like what had been present but it certainly is still quite cynical but in a different way. Sure they seem celebratory, but there’s a coldness to the whole thing.
    YMMV. I think there's a subversive element but a lot of hope in equal measure. It's just that we also know there is more to it, a lot of moral and conceptual ambiguity, and we're meant to feel two ways or conflicted about the X-Men. Some of us do, some don't. But there is a reason Hickman said HoX had the same amount of heroes and villains. It's a matter of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I will agree that there are cracks in the foundation of the new direction. I believe that as a writer Hickman put those cracks there on purpose because they will be part of the overall story.
    • Moira does not agree with how Charles and Erik have interpreted her lifetimes, she is not 100% on board with how they are running things.
    • Magneto is starting to have his ego go way out of hand already and it's pretty early, and I imaging Charles is in step with him where ego comes into play.
    • Apocalypse has his own agenda and we don't know what it is yet, this probably won't come into play till a year or two out, I think Apocalypse is going to bide his time bringing his plan into play.
    • Sinister is not an ally, and he cannot be trusted, and he will betray them sooner than later.
    • Mystique might actually be on board if she could get Irene back, but once they deny her Irene she will start a resistance against them.
    • Sabretooth is going to return and either Sinister or Mystique will probably be the ones to free him.

So yeah, cracks in the foundation.

But for the majority of the mutants with the current state, this is a chance to finally saviour freedom for a little while and hope! I think this is a moment where they can finally feel like they are proactively dealing with some of the intense racism and genocide that is being inflicted on them world wide. They finally have enough political power to give people pause in attacking their nation so they have a tentative peace.

But those cracks are still there and they will come up eventually.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

After subsequent re-readings...I love this first issue.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Yeah they don't feel like characters I know, they just have the name

people say that Hickman writing is robotic, but I remmeber much better writing from FF and Avengers

I saw this on Reddit and I chuckled.

a9b07e1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Yeah they don't feel like characters I know, they just have the name

people say that Hickman writing is robotic, but I remmeber much better writing from FF and Avengers
    People are saying that after 12 issue book that didn't focus on anyone and 1 issue of X-men. Cyclops got some time to get flesh out in X-men 1.Literally nobody but Storm, Magneto, Cyclops, Wolverine, Doug, Emma, Xavier, Jean, M, Angel, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinster Nightcrawler and X-men 1 Lorna, Havok, Vulcan, Rachel, kid cable, CeCe Reyes have gotten lines. You don't feel like the characters you know we haven't spent any real time with characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People are saying that after 12 issue book that didn't focus on anyone and 1 issue of X-men. Cyclops got some time to get flesh out in X-men 1.Literally nobody but Storm, Magneto, Cyclops, Wolverine, Doug, Emma, Xavier, Jean, M, Angel, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinster Nightcrawler and X-men 1 Lorna, Havok, Vulcan, Rachel, kid cable, CeCe Reyes have gotten lines. You don't feel like the characters you know we haven't spent any real time with characters.
    I disagree anout Emma she got anough lines. Doug also is himself.

Still it all look weird and doesn't feel x-men at all

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I disagree anout Emma she got anough lines. Doug also is himself.

Still it all look weird and doesn't feel x-men at all
    There is nothing to disagree with nobody has gotten enough time, Of course they are people who are written better in short period of time than others but nobody has gotten enough time to be fleshed out in the new status quo. Of course, it feels different and weird it is a brand new status quo and new direction. HoX and PoX weren't stories trying to set up characters,It was a story to set up new status quo.

People aren't wrong the characters feel a little different but we are on X-men 1. I mean shouldn't we give characters a couple of story arcs to get a feel for what is actually happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    There is nothing to disagree with nobody has gotten enough time, Of course they are people who are written better in short period of time than others but nobody has gotten enough time to be fleshed out in the new status quo. Of course, it feels different and weird it is a brand new status quo and new direction. HoX and PoX weren't stories trying to set up characters,It was a story to set up new status quo.

People aren't wrong the characters feel a little different but we are on X-men 1. I mean shouldn't we give characters a couple of story arcs to get a feel for what is actually happening.
    I have seen many new status quos, and no one ever felt so artificial and OOC like this one.
    And I read new52 on DC haha

From what I seen that is how he gonna write these characters, he basically rebooted x-men without really rebooting