View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

83 33.20%
  • ★★★★

84 33.60%
  • ★★★

55 22.00%
  • ★★

18 7.20%
  • 10 4.00%
Page 1 of 107 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default X-Men #1 Discussion Thread [Spoilers]

Sorry if my summary sucks, first time doing it and not a native English speaker. I tried my best.

• The comic book opens up with a flashback to Xavier giving Scott his ruby quartz glasses. Charles tells Scott that He doesn’t have to go through life blind just because he’s not one of them [humans] °
    • The attack on Orchis starts the same as the preview. We get a nice scene of Magneto opening up the ceiling of the Orchis base and being snob. He asks Polaris to make sure he gets no rubble and no rabble beneath his feat when he lands. Polaris follows his request and opens up the floor while also immobilizing all the Orchis soldiers with a single gesture (nice showing for our girl Lorna).
    • There’s a vibranium door between the team (Storm, Cyclops, Magneto and Polaris) and the datacore containing precious Orchis information. A soldier asks the lead scientist whether or not they should destroy the core since there’s redundancy between that particular datacore and other Orchis servers, but the scientist refuses to lose all that knowledge. They inject themselves with a serum that turns them into human/gorilla hybrids (posthumans experimentations I guess) while Magneto opens up the vibranium door.
    • Magneto starts fighting the Gorilla Men, while the other three go looking for mutants that are held captive in there. There’s a nice scene with Storm planting a Krakoan flower and using her powers so it grows into a portal. Suddenly one of the tubes holding mutant hostages opens up and a black and white girl comes out of it. She tries to mindcontrol them, but it doesn’t work. Polaris suggests that she’s from the future and she’s apparently a posthuman (Black Telepath maybe?) but she’s not fully formed. Before they can interrogate her, she teleports and disapperars. They do not follow her because they first need the Council to make her the priority for the mission of the team (that has been going nonstop for a week attacking Orchis bases). Instead, they go on and save the mutant children that Orchis had trapped in the base.
    • The children are brought to Krakoa were Cecilia Reyes checks them out. She says they now live in a paradise full of telepaths, empaths and healers, so any physical and psychological trauma is going to go away. Everyone is happy and safe now.
    • Storm keeps being a bit too happy to fight for Krakoa, while Magneto is essentially treated like a god/celebrity among the Krakoans. Polaris and Scott comment on that. Polaris seems a bit skeptical about it all, while Scott makes a big speech on finally having realised the dream. And he believes it 100%.
    • Back to the Orchis Forge where Director Devo is holding a funeral for the men that died in the X-men attack in HoX 4-5, while also spitting hate towards mutants. Omega Sentinel is there, and she’s much more balanced in her report of the attack. She says that conflict was unavoidable since mutants and humans are two species sharing the same environment, and one species (the humans) making such bold moves as creating the Mother Mold would cause the other species (mutants) to take action. Director Devo explains that he adapted the Stark-Richards design of the Sol Hammer to turn it into the Forge, so he takes the blame for the mutant repercussion but he seems to be pretty passionate about keeping fighting.
    • We’re on the moon, where both Cyclops and Corsair have arrived. The Blue Area of the Moon Krakoan Biome is the Summers House, where the Summers Clan (plus Jean and Wolverine) live together and it also serves as a departure point for attacks (as seen in HoX 4). A Summers Clan/Starjammers dinner is held, and we have some funny moments here (particularly Vulcan/Logan and Cable/Raza moments are quite fun). The most important thing is that Havok gives Corsair a Krakoan Flower that will connect the Starjammer and that particular Krakoan Biome (not the main Island as far as I understood).
    • Infographics with the infamous Wolverine/Jean/Cyclops rooms lol.
    • Talk between Corsairs and Cyclops with Scott displaying Krakoan dishwashing tech. Mostly about Scott still being a fighter but finally being happy with his family.
    • Last scene is Doctor Gregor and Director Devo talking. Devo was born blind, but with tech he was able to gain enhanced vision (posthuman stuff always lurking). Gregor wasn’t at the funeral because she was working on a secret project… bringing back his husband through a crystal that I suppose could be a Nimrod thing(?) or something similar to a M’Kraan Crystal(?). She’s mad. Quite mad.

Let's Discuss!
    Last edited by Veitha; 10-17-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

As someone who was very excited to hear from Vulcan, I was a bit let down that he was comic relief. Very odd choice for him but I'm sure Hickman has a plan. And it was quite funny comic relief so I can't be too mad...

Serafina has such a gorgeous design so I'm happy to see her. I too immediately pegged the Children of the Vault as Homo Novissima but then again, are they? It's been a long time since I read Carey's run but weren't they just placed in a sped up environment? Homo Novissima is planned genetic altering, the Children were still altered by their environment, they just lived in a different one.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

Spectacular Member

I thought the Cable dialog was such crap. This is something I would expect to see in a What IF story. Can someone shoot him already and grow back Old Cable?

Serafina!

This is not a drill.

This was really good. Great character moments. Fun surprises. The X-men really felt like a family. I was very entertained by HoX/PoX but a bit apprehensive about the status quo, but this put all my fears to rest. I'm very excited to see what the other writers bring.

So Polaris' costume changed throughout the issue right? I'm not crazy

How nice that Jean's room in the Summer House is placed right between Scott & Logan

Why Logan even has a room there...yeah, odd.

Woo this was good, this is what my soul needed. Maybe i just feel sensitive today but i actually cried reading this and was shocked. It was just filled with so much compassion and tenderness that i really wasn't even really thinking about let alone expected. Storm's voice is beautiful in this imo. Another great suprise. And Scott, OMG, this man, this character just exudes awesome in this issue. If Lorna didn't falll in love with his ass from that speech i sure as hell did. lol

And Hickman is turning me into a Storm/Scott BFF Stan. lol. Can't wait til she's over at Summer House.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-16-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Serafina!

This is not a drill.
    Was that Serafina? I assumed so but I couldn't remember too much about her other than your love for her.

Also, Kid Ursula was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    How nice that Jean's room in the Summer House is placed right between Scott & Logan

Why Logan even has a room there...yeah, odd.
    And those 3 rooms are the only rooms that have communicating doors inside. So we know they all "sleep" at Jean's place.

OMG SERAFINA YES

Hope she is going to stick for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Was that Serafina? I assumed so but I couldn't remember too much about her other than your love for her.

Also, Kid Ursula was great.
    Yep, Storm makes a reference to the Vault, and the woman is wearing Serafina's clothes. The hair shouldn't be blond, but that looked like an effect of the process she's been through at Orchis.

So I'm guessing the Children are Homo Novissimos.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Storm is wearing herself thin. She should focus on her ritual cult activities and hone her magic. These missions are unnecessary, and Cyclops knows it!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I wondered why the Mutants acted like destroying the Mother Mold ended the threat and here we are. They left the space station, computers and scientists around to just start again and be better prepared for next time. It never made sense to me, so I'm glad that it is shown as a strategic mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    The only adjoining rooms with doorways for easy and private access.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    And those 3 rooms are the only rooms that have communicating doors inside. So we know they all "sleep" at Jean's place.
    Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The only adjoining rooms with doorways for easy and private access.
    I completely missed that they were adjoining

It was alright. Nothing too spectacular