Mighty Member

Default reading Spider-Man

Ok, so the only Spider character I'm interested in reading plus his appearance in Marvel events is Peter. I know we've got Miles, Doc Ock Spider-Man plus in Spider-Verse a host of others. Doc Ock I'll follow because he was directly tied into Peter with Parker Industries and Ben Reily (but only Clone Saga). Am I missing anything storywise by not following the other Spider-Men?

Incredible Member

No.

For Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man is all you need, for the continuing adventures of Peter Parker, Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    No.

For Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man is all you need, for the continuing adventures of Peter Parker, Spider-Man.
    Correction.

Anything BUT Amazing Spider-Man is good for reading about Peter Parker.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Correction.

Anything BUT Amazing Spider-Man is good for reading about Peter Parker.
    Read original post.

I am not trying to troll here.

Nobody is telling you "You have to read Amazing Spider-Man", you may be more of a "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" kind of person, but the fact is, that title, and all the other "Spider-Men / Women" titles, are satellites.

And satellites, they can be the main story to you, or whoever is into them, but the original post is asking for the mainstream "Main Story", Spider-Man-wise, which we all know, has always been on Amazing.

Even back in the days I preferred Spectacular / Peter Parker over Amazing, the main stories has always been on Amazing.
    Last edited by ngroove; 10-16-2019 at 05:48 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

You're not missing anything by skipping Miles Morales Spider-man if you don't want to read a Spider-man comic where that Spider-man is Miles Morales.

Seriously, though, I'd say don't necessarily write off the other Spiders if you haven't read them. Miles is a great character, especially when used right, and has absolutely earned the name Spider-man in this fan's eyes.

That said, if your budget/time doesn't stretch to anything other than ASM, you're going to be fine for the most part.

The Amazing Mary Jane miniseries is continuing the Mysterio story from ASM, so if you want to follow that thread you'll need to pick that book up.

I'd be very surprised if Spider-man: Full Circle didn't tie in at some point, as it is also written by Nick Spencer (the current ASM writer).

Superior Spider-man is ending next issue (#12, I think), so you probably don't have to worry about that one.

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man is also ending soon, and hasn't really tied in much at all.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Amazing Member

To the OP : the main story is on Amazing.
    But if you want to read everything Peter Parker, then Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is also a good read.

This for the 616 universe (main universe).

Mighty Member

Yeah in regards to why only Peter, it's not that I don't agree that Miles isn't an interesting character, I just think that Peter rightly is and should be the only Spider-Man. The way he's been written over the past 50+ years is complex and nuanced with his trials and tribulations of protecting his loved ones and being a hero, and to try to replicate that with a second Spider-Man just couldn't work to me.