Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Rock and Pop Female Singers

Who do you think have been the best rock and/or pop female singers?

I really like Ann Wilson from 'Heart' and Whitney Houston. Also Celine Dion and Stevie Nicks.

Can't remember others right now.

Belinda Carlisle
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Pat Benatar (nominated a few days ago for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame)
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Stevie Nicks.

Nikka Costa.

Janis Joplin, best Rock singer, ever.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Anna Mae Bullock AKA Tina Turner.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Deborah Harry
    Agnetha Fältskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad, ABBA
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Floor Jansen, current lead singer of Nightwish, and its not even close. She can literally sing anything from opera to pop to death metal growls and do it amazingly. There is even a term for people being exposed to her for the first time called a "Floorgasm" as their minds are blown by her power and range.

If you've never listened to her or Nightwish do yourself a favor and listen to this song, its nearly 10 minutes but even if you decide symphonic metal isn't for you I doubt you'll be able to deny what an amazing singer she is especially from about the 6:30 minute on and especially at 9:22 which is the best known Floorgasm moment.

Floor was also one of the featured singers on a Dutch show called Beste Zangers over the last two months. Its basically a reality TV show in the Netherlands where they bring in a bunch of singers from different genres to sing the songs of other people on the show. While its not technically a competition show she basically won the show going from largely unknown in her home country (Metal isn't popular there) to being a superstar as she literally sang everything from opera (one of the other singers is an opera singers) to pop and of the eight songs she sang, four of them were in different languages.

For instance, here is an opera song she did for the old guy on the couch as he's an opera singer. Its in Dutch so I have no idea what she's saying but you can see her versatility just by her singing it. I highly doubt there are many other pop / rock singers who could go opera without breaking a sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Stevie Nicks.

Nikka Costa.
    Oh, cool to see some love for Nikka! I was listening to 'Get Off My Sunshine' off Butterfly Rocket, still holds up very well!
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

And one last one just so everyone can get a gauge on her based on something they know. The old guy, Henk Poort, on the show is an opera and theater singer and played the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera for many years in European productions. So on the last night they did duet and Floor and Henk did the song Phantom of the Opera. There are a few well known pop / rock singers like Ann Wilson who could probably pull this off but not many.

Joan Jett!

Chrissie Hynde!

At one time a long lost member would say Celine Dion.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

While Floor is better I'd also throw Simone Simons in the mix. She is the lead singer of Epica and can sing anything from pop to opera as well. Since like Nightwish they are largely unknown in the US so here is a live video of them. This also has Floor in it as they invited her on stage to sing with them.

Last edited by TriggerWarning; 10-16-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Pat Benatar (nominated a few days ago for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame)
    Long overdue. She is one of the biggest snubs from the Hall especially after Stevie Nicks got in before her. Stevie Nicks is a legend but thats mostly from her Fleetwood Mac stuff so putting her in as a solo artist before Pat Benatar was a complete travesty.