Default Wonder Woman in SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE by Frank Miller & John Romita Jr. (SPOILERS)

God bless Frank Miller: spoilers:
    I was happily surprised at Diana's appearance for the conclusion of this Year One Superman story, and to see her as the person who forms and creates the Trinity.

Bonus points for having Kal "leave[] a big chunk of himself with [Diana]" and Diana thinking of Kal as her "sweet little Adonis" as the book concludes.
    end of spoilers

Did not expect that at all, but was very glad those panels appeared in this book.

Well, that sounds like something I'd dislike a lot (the second one). The first one is fine, but not a big deal and I'd have made Superman get that shot in his story, if it had to happen. I think he fills the role better, too. spoilers:
    The Trinity, as a team or particular friends, is not that much thing to me. Bruce and Clark - definitely, since World's Finest. Diana and Clark - sure, I see it. Less agreement with Bruce and Diana as buds, and most especially I don't perceive three as group, despite the comic and their status in mythology. If I did, Clark would be the link between Bruce and Diana.
    end of spoilers Fortunately, after the first issue, I decided not to read Superman: Year One. Didn't like how it treated Martha, especially. Moms always get the short end of the stick in Superman stories. Other stuff, too, though.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-16-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Diana, you've know Clark for what, an hour tops?
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 10-17-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

Diana, you've know Clark for what, an hour tops?
    Did she demand he punch her in the face first? I recall Frank Miller once had Diana declare she could only love Superman because he "threw her down and claimed her as his own."

Spectacular Member

This is one of the many reasons i don't want Miller to go anywhere near wonder woman. Hopefully he will never get his hand on her book...I miss Rucka...

Fantastic Member

I like it!! Give me more!!

Gross. Miller should never be allowed to write Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Ditto. I'm so over Rucka. Hope he never returns to the title.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Gross. Miller should never be allowed to write Wonder Woman.
    In my opinion, he never does.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

This is slight improvement over how he usually writes Diana, but I've never been a fan of his characterization for her.

All-New Member

This is pretty gross (Diana just comes off like a clingy, desperate, obsessive girl while Supes gets to be all cool and aloof), but it sounds pretty on brand for Miller.

For real though, can Wonder Woman just be written as someone who is actually friends with Superman? And not someone who secretly desires him/pines after him even when he's clearly not interested? What part of this makes her look good? If we MUST endure it, at least make them both equally into it.
    Last edited by TheAnn; 10-21-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This is slight improvement over how he usually writes Diana, but I've never been a fan of his characterization for her.
    Pretty much how I feel. Outside of the cheesy tear for someone she literally just met, I liked that she was fairly even keeled and not remotely like the All-Star Batman And Robin version. That's all I was most concerned about avoiding, and it did that. But again, probably should have held off on forcing the Diana falls for him immediately thing if you had no time to really do much with it. He'll have the opportunity to work on that in The Golden Child, so it wouldn't have been the end of the world to leave it out if constrained for time.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-21-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Yeah. I like it too. Despite its flaws (ie it left me with the impression that Clark and Diana had met before, rather than a first encounter, so that was a bit jarring) the scenes looked and read terrific.

BANNED

hmm... Wonder Woman craving for some Papa Clark... heh First Papa Bruce in the animated series, now, Papa Clark in the comics... Is there an end to Wonder Woman's thirst.... lol jk jk jk don't hit me ! :P
    Last edited by Gurz; 10-24-2019 at 08:32 PM.