Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What did you think of Parker Industries?

A controversial element of the latter half of Dan Slott's run was Peter Parker's status as a Tech CEO. One of the complicating factors in the arguments is that we didn't really know the endgame.

Now that it's been about two years since the fall of Parker Industries, what did you guys think of this status quo/ period of the comics?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I like the idea on paper but the execution left much to be desired. Biggest failing point IMHO is it felt like barely any of the employees got fleshed out so there was no real since of "identity" for Pete's new found workplace.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Thought it was fine Peter handle bigger events while Miles handle NYC. Peter was successful as Peter and as Spiderman but unfortunately it wasn't the stupid status quo so it had to go.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The concept is cool, and under the hands of a better writer it might have been the new status quo now. Different, yes, but this could effectively give Peter that reward he deserves for a life of struggle, and from our perspective, give us a cool take of "Spider-Man as Batman". The execution on the other hand left a lot to be desired. It just wasn't nearly as cool as it could've been.

iMan 42s

The concept was fine but the execution was more than a little lacking.

For the longest time we didn't really know what Parker Industries even did outside of things Otto was up to. I believe Parker Industries did bid on making a prison and then made light-bulbs, did some charity work, and made phones. The company as a whole didn't really play into Peter's strengths. A phone is a useful tool, but none of that played into things that had been useful to first response teams or security services, things Peter actually knew about. It came off more as just an excuse to sell some new merch and justify some gadgets Peter used more than it had anything to do with his character. Parker Industries also suffered for being the trial run for Slott's Iron man. While that isn't necessarily a problem, it comes off as more Slott wanting to write Tony Stark more than it is Peter Parker and he couldn't quite mesh the characters. The progression was definitely there even if he wasn't the greatest CEO, but Slott couldn't quite get it to work. Peter outside of his costume didn't spend much time there and so it's more a toy ad if anything.

Zodiac wasn't particularly great and the only reason I find people remember this was because it was setup for GDS, setup you can actually overlook entirely or skip.

The costume itself was actually pretty good. As a modern update I like it even if I still don't understand why it has the Halloween costume glow in the dark functionality. The downside was that it's abilities are woefully inconsistent or outright ludicrous like the fall from space which by no means Peter should've survived

I don't hate the era (that much), but my dislike of it mostly stems from its wasted potential or just the dumb things it did which seems to overshadow the good that was there.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Lightbulb

The concept was fine but the execution was lacking. I think it would have worked better if Peter and MJ were together at the time, plus if he would have drafted most of his traditional supporting cast to help him run various departments. Meanwhile, Miles could have taken over in NYC while being connected with PI so if he ever needed help or guidance Peter would be there for him.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-02-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

The entire idea never really worked because it didn't have any sense of reality to it nor have anything tied to the characters.

Did Peter have plans to develop a startup before or any time leading to it? No. Since Peter never really expressed a desire for it, didn't work towards it, there was no real satisfaction when he got it, nor sadness when he lost it. In fact, the general sense and reaction was relief across-the-board. When Peter taught at high school there was tragedy to it because a) Peter liked the job, b) Was good at it, c) Lost it because of his Spider-Man stuff, d) As is clear in a moment in Back in Black, missed it when he lost it.

The entire seed of development seems to stem from "if you're so smart why aren't you rich", I mean it was started by Otto-In-Peter and the whole idea is "Otto is smart and evil so if he were in Peter's body he would start a business company because he's smart and evil". Erik Larsen said on twitter that if Otto had that kind of business acumen before how come he couldn't start Octavius Industries all by himself? So there's a kind of grade-school logic behind that conception that doesn't really work.

Likewise, Parker Industries never really dealt with any of the logical story potential in that concept. Like what would Peter Parker be like as a businessman with his sense of ethics? That was the entire point of JMS' run on Spider-Man with Peter teaching high school, it was about showing how Peter's ethics fit that milieu. If you wanted to, you could make a tragic story about how hard it's to be a good guy and be a businessman. There's a Frank Capra-like angle there. Instead Peter brazenly does deals with China without any of the ethical issues involved.

needed more of peter snorting “the good stuff” before each board meeting
    troo fan or death

I really liked the first Worldwide arc. It set up the new status quo really well, brought alot of new twists to how "Rich Spider-Man" would look like, it was fun and creative, and really had the potential to be different and new.

I think the biggest issue is the couple story arcs right after I felt weren't as interesting as they could've been (The Dark Kingdom, Scorpio Rising, Power Play), The Clone Conspiracy had it moreso in the background and had its own separate issues, The Osborn Identity thought was a step back in the right direction utilizing the status quo and telling an engaging story, but then it was followed by Secret Empire, which destroyed in a quick and ultimately underwhelming way. So didn't feel it got to live up to what exactly it could've done.

Felt like in some instances, the other Marvel books did a better job fleshing out PI's world building and connection to the rest of the universe than the main book did.

Dan Slott really wanted to write Iron Man by this point.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I loved it. It was good to see Peter successful but yeah would have liked it better if the company had been built up more before going Worldwide.

Incredible Member

Peter Parker's place is with the Daily Bugle.

Amazing Member

Both concept and execution are awful and there lowest point of Dan Slott's run.

Peter does not need to be Tony Stark.
    It is no coincidence that Slott was asked to work on Iron man.

Astonishing Member

Hated Parker Industries in TASM (Vol 3 and Vol 4) under Peter Parker. I dropped the book from my pull list 5 issues into Vol 4. Should have done it sooner.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 10-02-2019 at 11:28 PM.

I am the only person alive who thinks turning Spidey into Steranko Nick Fury for a minute was dope.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate