Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 275
  1. #241
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    It’s why we Brits loved Alan drawing Excalibur, London looked like London. Kitty went shopping in an M&S in frickin’ Liverpool.
    I know it’s donkey ‘s years ago, but it sticks in the mind.
    My wife does a worldwide comedy team thing, and there is a team based in Blackpool, England. When pressed to do American accents, they always do extreme southern redneck. Apparently redneck is to British people what cockney is to Americans.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  2. #242
    Spectacular Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    My wife does a worldwide comedy team thing, and there is a team based in Blackpool, England. When pressed to do American accents, they always do extreme southern redneck. Apparently redneck is to British people what cockney is to Americans.
    Wouldn’t surprise me (I’m appalling at accents so never try).

    It was so memorable, to see somewhere recognisable outside of London and in the North!

  3. #243
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    Wouldn’t surprise me (I’m appalling at accents so never try).

    It was so memorable, to see somewhere recognisable outside of London and in the North!
    I have nothing against cockney accents, don't get me wrong. I would personally enjoy listening to a female cockney Brit read the phone book. But I understand that isn't everyone's cup of tea (or pint of lager).
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  4. #244
    Fantastic Member Technopriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    It’s why we Brits loved Alan drawing Excalibur, London looked like London. Kitty went shopping in an M&S in frickin’ Liverpool.
    I know it’s donkey ‘s years ago, but it sticks in the mind.
    I could kind of understand before, but with access to the internet there's no excuse except laziness, it would take an artist or an editor what, a couple minutes to find photo references of any place in the world? And yeah, writing accents phonetically is just stupid, some locals expressions or idioms are fine, but trying to write out how you think somebody sounds is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 10-19-2019 at 02:30 AM.

  5. #245
    Astonishing Member Vegan Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    And yeah, writing accents phonetically is just stupid, some locals expressions or idioms are fine, but trying to write out how you think somebody sounds is ridiculous.
    I think phonetic accents are fine, especially with cockney brits because they barely even speak English.

  6. #246

    Default

    I notice Kitty was not offered a seat on the council here, only the captaincy, but maybe this was not the full pitch.

  7. #247
    Chris-chan of X-fans Maestroneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    If the story takes place in Rusia, it is always snowing, no matter what time of the year is supposed to be there (basically all of Rusia is Siberia for american writers). If it takes place somewhere in South America, it will look like Tijuana or the middle of the Amazon, even if the story is supposed to be taking place in a big city (I love X-Force/X-Statix, but that issue that took place in Buenos Aires was hilarious. Nobody could get Allred some reference material? The place look like it was some tropical slum, which B.A. definitely doesn't look like).
    Eastern Europe always looks like something from the Middle Ages.

  8. #248
    Mighty Member tuck frump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    And lets not even talk abt writers trying to depict Africa or the Middle East.

  9. #249
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Americana
    Posts
    4,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    I notice Kitty was not offered a seat on the council here, only the captaincy, but maybe this was not the full pitch.
    Good catch. I am also thinking/hoping there will be a "different" conversation between them (tying into the Limo scene perhaps) where it gets more serious and begins to explore Kate's possibly changing role and mindset.

    I still think this book is going to have its hands full juggling the tonal clash between Iceman/Storm on the one end and Emma/Shaw/NuKate on the other but we'll see how it goes

    One thing I did like about this conversation between Emma and Kitty was it sort of shows us a "humbled" Kitty, there were a few digs made at her that she basically accepted. Probably much-needed after GOLD for readers to get on board with her leading a team

    Still wanting to find out the deal with her apparently-permanent bruise and nose issue
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

  10. #250
    Spectacular Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    I could kind of understand before, but with access to the internet there's no excuse except laziness, it would take an artist or an editor what, a couple minutes to find photo references of any place in the world? And yeah, writing accents phonetically is just stupid, some locals expressions or idioms are fine, but trying to write out how you think somebody sounds is ridiculous.
    Heh. I am old as the hills. When I first started drawing, if I wanted a picture of, oh, dunno, a sea otter? i would have to go to,the library to research (I even had special access to the children’s library; more picture books). Artists today don’t know how lucky they are, I can google an otter, and filter on the right size, orientation, line drawing or photo etc etc.
    There are parts of the UK, remote bits of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the North which still feel deliciously old fashioned. And by old fashioned, I mean the 70s/80s. Not the 1870’s.

  11. #251
    Condescending Member manymade1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

    One thing I did like about this conversation between Emma and Kitty was it sort of shows us a "humbled" Kitty, there were a few digs made at her that she basically accepted. Probably much-needed after GOLD for readers to get on board with her leading a team
    Yeah I noticed that, as well. Overall, Kitty seems like shes at a low point when Emma gets in contact with her. I'm curious as to whether we'll even see what was up with her before this or if we'll just jump straight into the plot.

  12. #252
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Which Bobby is that?

  13. #253
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,200

    Default

    I’ve always seen Iceman as being similar to Spider-Man in build. Athletic and muscular, without being “jacked” or leaning into “gymnast” physique like Nightcrawler. He’s like a Lantern in a lot of ways. His powers are based on creativity, not abdominals.

  14. #254
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Since they brought up that it was already winter in Russia I am hoping that Iceman gets to show off why picking a fight with him in a climate known for harsh winters is a Omega level bad idea especially with Storm providing back up.

  15. #255
    Mighty Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    I reject the idea that a Twunk is a 'Twink hunk' lol. That's some sad masculinist bs. Everyone knows a Twunk is just an old Twink that's failed to try another aesthetic. It's truer to the culture. There are way more of those than there are lol 'Twink hunks'. Thanks bye.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •