Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    It’s why we Brits loved Alan drawing Excalibur, London looked like London. Kitty went shopping in an M&S in frickin’ Liverpool.
    I know it’s donkey ‘s years ago, but it sticks in the mind.
    My wife does a worldwide comedy team thing, and there is a team based in Blackpool, England. When pressed to do American accents, they always do extreme southern redneck. Apparently redneck is to British people what cockney is to Americans.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    My wife does a worldwide comedy team thing, and there is a team based in Blackpool, England. When pressed to do American accents, they always do extreme southern redneck. Apparently redneck is to British people what cockney is to Americans.
    Wouldn’t surprise me (I’m appalling at accents so never try).

It was so memorable, to see somewhere recognisable outside of London and in the North!

Wouldn’t surprise me (I’m appalling at accents so never try).

It was so memorable, to see somewhere recognisable outside of London and in the North!
    I have nothing against cockney accents, don't get me wrong. I would personally enjoy listening to a female cockney Brit read the phone book. But I understand that isn't everyone's cup of tea (or pint of lager).

It’s why we Brits loved Alan drawing Excalibur, London looked like London. Kitty went shopping in an M&S in frickin’ Liverpool.
    I know it’s donkey ‘s years ago, but it sticks in the mind.
    I could kind of understand before, but with access to the internet there's no excuse except laziness, it would take an artist or an editor what, a couple minutes to find photo references of any place in the world? And yeah, writing accents phonetically is just stupid, some locals expressions or idioms are fine, but trying to write out how you think somebody sounds is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 10-19-2019 at 02:30 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    And yeah, writing accents phonetically is just stupid, some locals expressions or idioms are fine, but trying to write out how you think somebody sounds is ridiculous.
    I think phonetic accents are fine, especially with cockney brits because they barely even speak English.

I notice Kitty was not offered a seat on the council here, only the captaincy, but maybe this was not the full pitch.

BANNED

If the story takes place in Rusia, it is always snowing, no matter what time of the year is supposed to be there (basically all of Rusia is Siberia for american writers). If it takes place somewhere in South America, it will look like Tijuana or the middle of the Amazon, even if the story is supposed to be taking place in a big city (I love X-Force/X-Statix, but that issue that took place in Buenos Aires was hilarious. Nobody could get Allred some reference material? The place look like it was some tropical slum, which B.A. definitely doesn't look like).
    Eastern Europe always looks like something from the Middle Ages.

BANNED

And lets not even talk abt writers trying to depict Africa or the Middle East.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    I notice Kitty was not offered a seat on the council here, only the captaincy, but maybe this was not the full pitch.
    Good catch. I am also thinking/hoping there will be a "different" conversation between them (tying into the Limo scene perhaps) where it gets more serious and begins to explore Kate's possibly changing role and mindset.

I still think this book is going to have its hands full juggling the tonal clash between Iceman/Storm on the one end and Emma/Shaw/NuKate on the other but we'll see how it goes

One thing I did like about this conversation between Emma and Kitty was it sort of shows us a "humbled" Kitty, there were a few digs made at her that she basically accepted. Probably much-needed after GOLD for readers to get on board with her leading a team

Still wanting to find out the deal with her apparently-permanent bruise and nose issue
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I could kind of understand before, but with access to the internet there's no excuse except laziness, it would take an artist or an editor what, a couple minutes to find photo references of any place in the world? And yeah, writing accents phonetically is just stupid, some locals expressions or idioms are fine, but trying to write out how you think somebody sounds is ridiculous.
    Heh. I am old as the hills. When I first started drawing, if I wanted a picture of, oh, dunno, a sea otter? i would have to go to,the library to research (I even had special access to the children’s library; more picture books). Artists today don’t know how lucky they are, I can google an otter, and filter on the right size, orientation, line drawing or photo etc etc.
    There are parts of the UK, remote bits of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the North which still feel deliciously old fashioned. And by old fashioned, I mean the 70s/80s. Not the 1870’s.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

One thing I did like about this conversation between Emma and Kitty was it sort of shows us a "humbled" Kitty, there were a few digs made at her that she basically accepted. Probably much-needed after GOLD for readers to get on board with her leading a team
    Yeah I noticed that, as well. Overall, Kitty seems like shes at a low point when Emma gets in contact with her. I'm curious as to whether we'll even see what was up with her before this or if we'll just jump straight into the plot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Which Bobby is that?

I’ve always seen Iceman as being similar to Spider-Man in build. Athletic and muscular, without being “jacked” or leaning into “gymnast” physique like Nightcrawler. He’s like a Lantern in a lot of ways. His powers are based on creativity, not abdominals.

Amazing Member

Since they brought up that it was already winter in Russia I am hoping that Iceman gets to show off why picking a fight with him in a climate known for harsh winters is a Omega level bad idea especially with Storm providing back up.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I reject the idea that a Twunk is a 'Twink hunk' lol. That's some sad masculinist bs. Everyone knows a Twunk is just an old Twink that's failed to try another aesthetic. It's truer to the culture. There are way more of those than there are lol 'Twink hunks'. Thanks bye.