Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I mean, Teresa found a birth certificate and everything.
    Can be faked easily.

Even a photo of her when she was a baby.
    Could be her real photo if it's just her. If its with the Parkers, it's photoshop.

Doesn't get more confirmed short of a DNA test.
    If they wanted to, they would use a DNA Test from the start and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Can be faked easily.

Could be her real photo if it's just her. If its with the Parkers, it's photoshop.

If they wanted to, they would use a DNA Test from the start and everything.
    Why are you so against the idea of Peter having a sister? And Zdarsky confirmed it, so unless you want to argue with him, be my guest.

Why are you so against the idea of Peter having a sister? And Zdarsky confirmed it, so unless you want to argue with him, be my guest.
    I think it's more because she hasn't been in the main title yet so it doesn't feel like it's a set in stone thing. That's probably what this arc is for.

That being said, this IS marvel and they kinda pulled this before with his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    I think it's more because she hasn't been in the main title yet so it doesn't feel like it's a set in stone thing. That's probably what this arc is for.

That being said, this IS marvel and they kinda pulled this before with his parents.
    Well, I'll give you that. It just seems like people are vehemently against the idea of Teresa even existing, that's all. But yeah, I wouldn't put it past Marvel to change something with Peter's parents.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post

Spider-Man is more than just its main title.

BANNED

Why are you so against the idea of Peter having a sister?
    I find Teresa a likable character just as Ben Reilly was likable. I can like a character and still be against the concept. The reasons against Teresa are three: Aesthetic/Narrative/Execution.

Aesthetic: The reason a lot of people have issues with Peter's parents being SHIELD agents. It makes the Parker family super-special and so on, and ventures towards a family romance (i.e. narratives where the orphaned kid finds out he has special parents, lost relatives, and so on). Peter is supposed to be an orphan and May Parker is meant to be his only family (a Parker by marriage and not by blood, which illustrates the depth of their bond, since May doesn't have to see Peter as a surrogate son but she does). That gets diluted if you have a flesh-and-blood sister involved. Remember how the Garfield Spider-Man movies got pilloried for making a big to-do about Richard Parker and so on...and how reviewers and others felt it took something away from Peter's story (while also diminishing Ben) by focusing so much on his parents that he felt like New York Harry Potter and not Amazing Spider-Man? Aesthetically, those are my main issues with it.

Narrative: On a story and narrative level...Teresa Parker poses a problem that has no real good, satisfying answer.
    -- Why did Richard and Mary Parker never tell Ben and May about their daughter and make satisfactory arrangements for her the way they did for Peter?
    -- If Ben and/or May knew about Teresa, why did they never tell Peter about his lost sister?
    -- How can Richard and Mary (and potentially Ben and May) be sympathetic if they essentially failed to provide for Teresa and/or otherwise separated her from her brother?

Execution: The reason I don't buy Teresa as being Peter's sister is that there's no sense of occasion. If Marvel were serious, truly serious, that Peter and Teresa were brother and sister, then this would be done in a big story. It would be a multi-story arc that lasts for a year in the main title and build a mystery and so on. Instead, Teresa is introduced casually in some OGN that was virtually forgotten and consigned to footnote which some even considered non-canon (mostly because it implies that Kingpin knows Peter's identity which in Post-OMD ought to be a bigger deal than it is and which later writers haven't followed on or acknowledged). Then she appears in a second series run without acknowledgement and feature in the main ASM title.

Ben Reilly was a likable character but he got three strikes on this count too. Same goes for Teresa.

And Zdarsky confirmed it, so unless you want to argue with him, be my guest.
    I doubt Zdarsky is that fixated on Teresa for it to be a bridge for him to die on. He needed stuff to work with, and found Teresa Parker and decided to put his spin on it. And part of that involved making Peter convinced that Teresa is his sister. Since Peter's the POV character, obviously it must be convincing to readers and need a little pushback to see that it's far from clear cut. Most of his run in Spectacular is about Peter's relationship with Jonah after all.

Okay I honestly didn't need the full analysis. I was really just looking for a simple answer...

BANNED

Okay I honestly didn't need the full analysis. I was really just looking for a simple answer...
    Well I take you very seriously so I think you deserve a full response, that's all. And I thought it was important to make a broader point about storytelling.

Take Winter Soldier. When Bucky was presented as alive all along. Brubaker sold it, he pulled out all the stops to convince the reader that this was Bucky. I think if you want a bombshell as big as Peter having an actual biological sister you need to sell it the same way.

Well I take you very seriously so I think you deserve a full response, that's all. And I thought it was important to make a broader point about storytelling.

Take Winter Soldier. When Bucky was presented as alive all along. Brubaker sold it, he pulled out all the stops to convince the reader that this was Bucky. I think if you want a bombshell as big as Peter having an actual biological sister you need to sell it the same way.
    That I understand. But remember that Marvel launched those graphic novels as in-continuity and was intending for it to be a lot bigger than it was (I wish it were). So for them, that WAS a big deal: it just fell apart like a lot of their Initiatives. But I can agree about the actual confirmation needing to be in a bigger story. And let's not forget: this ASM story is 2099, the biggest ASM story thus far in Spencer's run. So maybe he's got plans for her here.

BANNED

That I understand. But remember that Marvel launched those graphic novels as in-continuity and was intending for it to be a lot bigger than it was (I wish it were). So for them, that WAS a big deal: it just fell apart like a lot of their Initiatives. But I can agree about the actual confirmation needing to be in a bigger story. And let's not forget: this ASM story is 2099, the biggest ASM story thus far in Spencer's run. So maybe he's got plans for her here.
    The implications of Teresa Parker being actually Peter's sister is enormous...because suddenly she, and not May, becomes the most person in Peter's family. I mean biological baby sister > old aunt, in the same way that when you are married with children it's Children > Wife > You in terms of priorities. It would totally change the dynamic of the Parker family or at least it should if that's what they want to do with it. As it is, they need to find a new costume that doesn't make her look like Ultimate Jessica Drew.

2099 and its tagline "future is dying" seems to be a coda for Miguel...obviously 2099 is much nearer to us then it was in 1992 when the title was launched. This year is 80 years of Marvel and 2099 is 80 years away and it's not inconceivable that the floating timeline will one day take place in 2099 in the same way that Iron Man 2020 was futuristic in the eighties but next year not so much (which is the point of Slott's upcoming event). So that means that 2099 can never actually be the future of Marvel Universe.

The implications of Teresa Parker being actually Peter's sister is enormous...because suddenly she, and not May, becomes the most person in Peter's family. I mean biological baby sister > old aunt, in the same way that when you are married with children it's Children > Wife > You in terms of priorities. It would totally change the dynamic of the Parker family or at least it should if that's what they want to do with it. As it is, they need to find a new costume that doesn't make her look like Ultimate Jessica Drew.

2099 and its tagline "future is dying" seems to be a coda for Miguel...obviously 2099 is much nearer to us then it was in 1992 when the title was launched. This year is 80 years of Marvel and 2099 is 80 years away and it's not inconceivable that the floating timeline will one day take place in 2099 in the same way that Iron Man 2020 was futuristic in the eighties but next year not so much (which is the point of Slott's upcoming event). So that means that 2099 can never actually be the future of Marvel Universe.
    The second point doesn't make much sense so I'm just sticking with the first one:

Peter having a sister wouldn't change the dynamic overall. May would very much love both her niece and nephew. Peter would not automatically stop loving May because Teresa exists (how would that make sense?). May would still be Peter's priority, and Teresa can take care of herself nonetheless (she's a superspy, they're kind of trained).

A story where Peter/JJ/Teresa hop across time and space and so on. And published in the second series. Not very convincing.
    A story in which she goes back in time and finds actual proof and evidence that they're siblings.

And this is the same "second series" in which Jonah finds out Peter's identity, which has also stuck, not to mention Teresa was re-introuced in Spencer's run in such a quick fashion they're assuming you read the book as well, so that excuse doesn't cut it at all.

None of your other points even come close to disproving what's happened in the stories, other than you personally thinking it's a bad idea. She's his sister. Unless somebody else decides to change it later on, no matter how much you dislike it will change it currently.

I don't really care much for Teresa or the purported sibling relationship, but it doesn't bother me too much.

But she's not the kind of thing I see really catching on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really care much for Teresa or the purported sibling relationship, but it doesn't bother me too much.

But she's not the kind of thing I see really catching on.
    Frontier, it seems to me, based on other posts you've made, that your ideal Spider-Man seems very vanilla. Is that close to an accurate statement?

BANNED

The implications of Teresa Parker being actually Peter's sister is enormous...because suddenly she, and not May, becomes the most person in Peter's family. I mean biological baby sister > old aunt, in the same way that when you are married with children it's Children > Wife > You in terms of priorities.
    Have you gone through life with no family of any kind? Based on how you perceive family relations, the answer would seem to be yes.

Having Teresa in his life would not put May in a secondary position for Peter. She may technically be his Aunt but in every way that matters, she's his mother. Discovering he has a sister would not suddenly diminish May's importance - much less because she's old, of all things.