Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Have you gone through life with no family of any kind? Based on how you perceive family relations, the answer would seem to be yes.

Having Teresa in his life would not put May in a secondary position for Peter. She may technically be his Aunt but in every way that matters, she's his mother. Discovering he has a sister would not suddenly diminish May's importance - much less because she's old, of all things.
    That first part was totally uncalled for. You need to apologize.

When I checked this thread and saw that it had 4 pages worth of conversation, I thought other members were discussing Foreigner and/or other obscure villains returning, didn't think it'd be about whether or not Teresa's existance is a good idea lol.

And it looks like it's gonna become another thread where Jack and Warren do some discussion for two pages or so too .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    A story in which she goes back in time and finds actual proof and evidence that they're siblings.
    As per Marvel any time travel stuff only takes characters to an alternate timeline and not a true past. So it doesn't really count. All it means is that Peter went to a timeline that happened to have this evidence, but it doesn't definitively prove anything for 616 Peter. And again stuff like this can be faked and so on.

And this is the same "second series" in which Jonah finds out Peter's identity, which has also stuck,
    And Dan Slott incorporated that into ASM lickety-split in Go Down Swinging, since that was immediately popular and embraced by fans, editors, writers and so on...whereas Teresa didn't appear in GDS. Jonah also appeared multiple times in Spencer's run before this with that particular status-quo incorporated into the story. Whereas Teresa wasn't even mentioned until now.

Again, a plot point like Peter having a kid sister for real would be a major big deal for the character (a lifelong orphan with the guilt of losing his father figure who was also his blood relative). I mean think of how big a deal it was in the '50s when Superman, last son of Krypton, encountered Supergirl. That was huge, epic, massive and it meant a huge deal to the Superman fandom and it was treated that way at the time. If Teresa Parker is really Peter's sister...she sure as hell isn't being treated as such by the writers and others. So it follows that Marvel are still testing waters and on the fence basically having it both ways at this point...her not being introduced to Aunt May and so on. This is identical to Ben Reilly. The mixed message was apparent from the start. Writers believed that he was the real Peter and so on but then they do stuff like prevent him from visiting Aunt May's deathbed (and before you go she was an actress...remember that happened well after Ben died proving himself the clone definitively)...and that lack of commitment to their idea and concept confirmed for most people that Ben was never the real deal.

Have you gone through life with no family of any kind?
    All happy families are alike. My family was happy and they told me this. I don't know a great deal about the other kind...so perhaps you can enlighten me, or not. Your choice.

Having Teresa in his life would not put May in a secondary position for Peter.
    She's his actual biological sister...the first time he has a blood relative since Ben died. That's a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    When I checked this thread and saw that it had 4 pages worth of conversation, I thought other members were discussing Foreigner and/or other obscure villains returning, didn't think it'd be about whether or not Teresa's existance is a good idea lol.

And it looks like it's gonna become another thread where Jack and Warren do some discussion for two pages or so too .
    Lol I moved some of the minor villain conversation to another thread called "Spencer and the Spider-Villains" if you want to check that out!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    She's his actual biological sister...the first time he has a blood relative since Ben died. That's a huge deal.
    Yes. But that doesn't mean that May would suddenly become any less important to Peter. No sane, decent person would - upon learning they have a sibling - react to that by placing them of higher importance in their life than the person that raised them.

You can be excited to have that newly found person in your life without their presence causing your mother figure to become marginalized.

BANNED

So what is your opinion on Teresa Parker overall? Do you think she's his sister...do you think it will stick? Will Marvel let this stand or retcon it later?

What do you make of the narrative and Peter hesitating to introduce her to Aunt May. Because I absolutely do think that if they were serious about this, Peter needs to (or needed have) introduce Teresa to May and that has to be a big issue and story of some kind in order for this to stick.

BANNED

No, not this time.

Teresea is Peter's sister. Not much to argue or complain about until Marvel uses her in a way that prompts further discussion.

BANNED

So what is your opinion on Teresa Parker overall? Do you think she's his sister...do you think it will stick? Will Marvel let this stand or retcon it later?
    I don't see any reason to ret-con it (which doesn't mean that it won't be). It'll stand until there's a compelling reason to undo it - which may be never. I like the GN that introduced her. I thought it was cool that Dzarsky used her in Spectacular and confirmed her existence in continuity.

That's the extent of my opinion. I don't think Peter needed a sister but I also don't think there's any reason he shouldn't have one. The complaints and questions you have about her all sound like fodder for potential stories.

What the future holds for her, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Lol I moved some of the minor villain conversation to another thread called "Spencer and the Spider-Villains" if you want to check that out!
    Yeah I saw it, I'll be honest and admit I didn't even notice that Spencer was bringing back so many villains outside of Hunted and that Lady Beetle's Sinister Six, pretty cool to remember Spidey has so many villains, even among the non-popular ones.

Astonishing Member

What do you make of the narrative and Peter hesitating to introduce her to Aunt May. Because I absolutely do think that if they were serious about this, Peter needs to (or needed have) introduce Teresa to May and that has to be a big issue and story of some kind in order for this to stick.
    If Marvel decides that Teresa is really his sister ( and not a Scrull, Clone or some other fake plot device) then Pete will introduce her to everyone ( Aunt May included), and she will be welcomed. It does not need to be a large event, it can be done on a panel or two ( Amazing 42's introduction to MJ was done on one panel on the final page). As for Teresa, I like her presence. Why? She opens up new possible stories for Pete, without taking a chainsaw to continuity and( or) history as we have seen with comics such as 'Sins Past' and Silk's Origin.

As per Marvel any time travel stuff only takes characters to an alternate timeline and not a true past. So it doesn't really count. All it means is that Peter went to a timeline that happened to have this evidence, but it doesn't definitively prove anything for 616 Peter. And again stuff like this can be faked and so on.
    So they just HAPPENED to end up in an alternate past in which the Teresa of that world was his sister but 616 Teresa isn't? That's the kind of lazy writing and retconning everyone complains about when reveals like that happen to other characters.

Based on majority reception, here and pretty much everyone else I've seen, have looked at Teresa with an, "Eh okay", no absolute love and praise, but no absolute hate at the decision, so there isn't really a reason to go back, since that'll just make things worse. And they don't have to make her super important to stories, just whatever the writers feel like she'd be useful for, like Spencer's doing now with spy/Chameleon stuff.

So they just HAPPENED to end up in an alternate past in which the Teresa of that world was his sister but 616 Teresa isn't? That's the kind of lazy writing and retconning everyone complains about when reveals like that happen to other characters.
    It'd also look extra bad since it's an universe that, up until the characters went back, was identical to 616.

Like, if they traveled to a more different universe, like Ultimate, then it'd be more understandable if Teresa used that universe to find evidence that she's related to Peter, but then turns out she isn't, after all, the more different universes can do unexpected stuff like changing characters, making them related when they normally wouldn't be or whatever, so Ultimate gets stuff like Jessica being a Peter clone, and Liz being Firestar.

But that other universe being so identical to 616 is actually a plot point, since they went there to get info on how to stop the Vedomi, and Teresa just decided to use it to confirm if she's Peter's sister while she was at it, and the info actually worked, so having something that crucial work between different universes, which shows how similar/identical they are, and not have Teresa being related to Peter at the same time... It can be done, but it'd be questionable.

So yeah, it'd be shitty to just say "Oh, they aren't related" after all of that, stupid on the level of that reveal Wanda and Pietro not being Magnetos kids or mutants, though wouldn't be nearly as damaging, since Teresa is a C-lister at best, nor does she have much of a story, still would be stupid though.

Based on majority reception, here and pretty much everyone else I've seen, have looked at Teresa with an, "Eh okay", no absolute love and praise, but no absolute hate at the decision, so there isn't really a reason to go back, since that'll just make things worse. And they don't have to make her super important to stories, just whatever the writers feel like she'd be useful for, like Spencer's doing now with spy/Chameleon stuff.
    And with her being a spy/still having spy connections, she doesn't even have to be around much, she could easily go to limbo if writers don't feel like using her, and if they feel like using her/someone else decides to use her, they can just make her show up and say "Oh I was doing spy **** in the background", so her presence can be ignored if they feel like it.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-18-2019 at 06:09 PM.

BANNED

So they just HAPPENED to end up in an alternate past in which the Teresa of that world was his sister but 616 Teresa isn't?
    Alternate timelines, amirite?

That's the kind of lazy writing and retconning everyone complains about when reveals like that happen to other characters.
    Lazy storytelling is dropping a long-lost sister into a narrative that never really needed that, and which does go against a lot of the established themes of the story by its very nature. For instance, Aunt May dying in ASM #400 was absolutely set up and logical and consistent with everything that came before...retconning her death was lazy storytelling.

In this case, Peter having a sister has no set-up and again the issues it raises about the Parker parents not informing Ben and May, or if they informed Ben and May and they didn't tell Peter...which is just ridiculous and has no good answer. And there needs to be one for this to stick. Remember pregnancy takes 9 months, so if Mrs. Parker was pregnant and carried Teresa to term...then that means her and Richard didn't inform Ben and May for that entire time, and not bothered to connect to little Peter to tell him he has a sister coming. They were both spies and in a dangerous profession and that's why they left Peter in the care of Ben and May...so for them to not do that for Teresa, suggests an incredible level of thoughtlessness and carelessness. To the point of being heartless like they wanted to abandon Peter to Ben and May and keep Teresa all to themselves. And again if it was safe for Mary to give birth then it was safe for them to contact Ben and May. And there's no good way to make that work.

I mean I suppose you could say Richard and Mary did tell Ben and May but some random mutant villain mind-wiped them or something...which is even worse as a retcon. And again flashbacks always implied that Richard and Mary were never apart from Peter for that long a stretch. They dropped Peter at Ben and May's and then shortly after that had died. So it's a product of another retcon there.

And they don't have to make her super important to stories, .
    If she's not super-important, then why is she Peter's sister? If she's Peter's sister, why isn't the story treating her that way?

So yeah, it'd be shitty to just say "Oh, they aren't related" after all of that, stupid on the level of that reveal Wanda and Pietro not being Magnetos kids or mutants, though wouldn't be nearly as damaging, since Teresa is a C-lister at best, nor does she have much of a story, still would be stupid though.
    Pietro and Wanda being Magneto's kids was itself a clumsy retcon introduced in the '80s. For the initial 20 years of those characters publication they weren't Magneto's kids. Of course, the manner in which Wanda and Pietro were untethered from Magneto was a result of the rights issues absolutely...and it was done in a stupid manner. But in the end it turned out for the best as in Hickman's run where Wanda is called a pretender and so on. And it works fine.

Astonishing Member

“Foreigner” was a great character with an unfortunately dumb name.

Loved stories with him in the 80s and missed him. Don’t think he’s appeared since the early 90s. Looking forward to seeing him again.

One thing I don’t understand is him about to match raw punching strength with Spidey. Foreigner never had super strength iirc.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-18-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Lazy storytelling is dropping a long-lost sister into a narrative that never really needed that, and which does go against a lot of the established themes of the story by its very nature. For instance, Aunt May dying in ASM #400 was absolutely set up and logical and consistent with everything that came before...retconning her death was lazy storytelling.

In this case, Peter having a sister has no set-up and again the issues it raises about the Parker parents not informing Ben and May, or if they informed Ben and May and they didn't tell Peter...which is just ridiculous and has no good answer. And there needs to be one for this to stick. Remember pregnancy takes 9 months, so if Mrs. Parker was pregnant and carried Teresa to term...then that means her and Richard didn't inform Ben and May for that entire time, and not bothered to connect to little Peter to tell him he has a sister coming. They were both spies and in a dangerous profession and that's why they left Peter in the care of Ben and May...so for them to not do that for Teresa, suggests an incredible level of thoughtlessness and carelessness. To the point of being heartless like they wanted to abandon Peter to Ben and May and keep Teresa all to themselves. And again if it was safe for Mary to give birth then it was safe for them to contact Ben and May. And there's no good way to make that work.

I mean I suppose you could say Richard and Mary did tell Ben and May but some random mutant villain mind-wiped them or something...which is even worse as a retcon. And again flashbacks always implied that Richard and Mary were never apart from Peter for that long a stretch. They dropped Peter at Ben and May's and then shortly after that had died. So it's a product of another retcon there.
    Them not telling Ben and May is because they started to get paranoid and keep secrets from everyone, considering that Ben and May are in no way trained agents, and that Ben and May only found out about them being secret agents after they died and were outed as traitors, yeah, that would include them too.

There was also something about Mary pretending to be pregnant in an infiltration mission in some place disguised as a hospital, but she was actually pregnant and gave birth to Teresa there, contact with the outside could be dangerous.

The questionable thing is that they went through all that trouble to keep Teresa a secret, but then did nothing to keep Peter safe, sure that if they started to get so paranoid they couldn't trust other agents to keep a watch on him, and they couldn't bring him with them, but it's still questionable they left their kid with some old farts with no way to guarantee his safety, Zdarsky on that info dump also never bothered to explain how long after Teresa was born that Richard and Mary died, nor how she ended in some orphanage, supposedly she could be old enough to know her own name, since she keeps the "Teresa" name, or maybe it's a coincidence she just happened to have it, or they found her with false documents (Could even be where "Durand" came from), but either way, not explained.

So basically Family Business only left the possibility of Teresa being his sister and didn't do much else, but Zdarsky is the one who made explanations to cover some holes, but there's still other plot holes around, and they're significant.

If she's not super-important, then why is she Peter's sister? If she's Peter's sister, why isn't the story treating her that way?
    Comic books nowadays try to play a lot safer with stuff that can be a game changer, even something as "guaranteed to work" as bringing Kara to post crisis in DC had a few ways to kick her out if needed (She had some memory loss, which is gone by the end of the story and she trully remembers her past with no awkward gaps, but clearly it was there to get rid of her in case the reaction towards her wasn't good, like the other Supergirls), so Marvel is playing safe by taking baby steps with Teresa, so we have her being established as Peter's sister, readers didn't hate it, then Zdarsky's run gets rid of her by having her confess to her crimes, with that, Spencer could choose whether or not he's gonna use her without ignoring her when he shouldn't ('Cause if Zdarsky's run still had her around but then she disapears without explanation post-Slott it'd be weird), and he chose to use her and seems she'll at least be a recurring character for the current arc, and I suspect he won't use her for a while to avoid the possibility of alienating readers.

So yeah, it's baby steps, maybe having her just already be a big deal in Peter's life could work, but that's too much of a risk to take.

Pietro and Wanda being Magneto's kids was itself a clumsy retcon introduced in the '80s. For the initial 20 years of those characters publication they weren't Magneto's kids. Of course, the manner in which Wanda and Pietro were untethered from Magneto was a result of the rights issues absolutely...and it was done in a stupid manner. But in the end it turned out for the best as in Hickman's run where Wanda is called a pretender and so on. And it works fine.
    If there's a positive from this retcon, it's Polaris, she never got much attention as Magneto's daughter since Wanda and Pietro were higher profile, so now she's getting more attention, since she's getting some scenes in Hickman's run.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    One thing I don’t understand is him about to match raw punching strength with Spidey. Foreigner never had super strength iirc.
    He did, you can see in the pages of their fight I posted in the first page of this thread, but it wasn't much, he hits hard enough to hurt Spidey, but he couldn't take much of a beating, Spidey only hits him twice and he's down, and the first hit you can argue that it was a clumsy one since Spidey was trying to free himself, second one seemed more focused, so that MK-style uppercut was enough to knock him down lol.

There was also a story where Fisk had put a bomb in the elevator he was riding, and he came out with only ripped clothes, we don't know how much of the explosion he took, but with the ripped clothes, he was hit by some of it at least, and wasn't really hurt.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-18-2019 at 07:31 PM.