Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    “Foreigner” was a great character with an unfortunately dumb name.

Loved stories with him in the 80s and missed him. Don’t think he’s appeared since the early 90s. Looking forward to seeing him again.

One thing I don’t understand is him about to match raw punching strength with Spidey. Foreigner never had super strength iirc.
    No, but he has low-level hypnosis that makes it look like he can phase through time. So I'm guessing that's how he'll match strength. When he and Spidey first fought, it was pretty even

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Them not telling Ben and May is because they started to get paranoid and keep secrets from everyone, considering that Ben and May are in no way trained agents, and that Ben and May only found out about them being secret agents after they died and were outed as traitors, yeah, that would include them too.
    They trusted Ben and May with their son, so why not their daughter?

Comic books nowadays try to play a lot safer with stuff that can be a game changer,
    Winter Soldier didn't play stuff safe. Or you know Damian Wayne. Bruce Wayne having a son with Talia was a bold game-changer and that happened in the comics. We got an explanation and everything for where Damian was and wat was he up to and so on...and Damian being Bruce's kid was a big deal.

If there's a positive from this retcon, it's Polaris, she never got much attention as Magneto's daughter since Wanda and Pietro were higher profile, so now she's getting more attention, since she's getting some scenes in Hickman's run.
    I love that "Bring your daughter to work" moment between the two in Hickman's X-Men #1.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    No, but he has low-level hypnosis that makes it look like he can phase through time. So I'm guessing that's how he'll match strength. When he and Spidey first fought, it was pretty even
    The battle was more "Foreigner whooped Spidey's ass until Spidey figured out his gimmick", then he went down fast lol.

Thinking of it, that was pretty much a Stand battle in Spider-Man...

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    They trusted Ben and May with their son, so why not their daughter?
    From what Fury says, they started to get paranoid and keep secrets over time, they still trusted Ben and May to take care of Peter, but they keep it quiet when it comes to information, 'cause again, they never mentioned that they're secret agents, so it seems Richard and Mary trusts them, but only to a certain extent, and they wanted to keep Mary's pregnancy a secret from everyone, so not telling them is understandable, imagine if they told 'em, May and/or Ben told other people, then Richard and Mary's bosses would be wondering why they kept that a secret.

But if you mean why they didn't bring Teresa to live with Ben and May, like I said before, the whole situation after she was born is vague, since we don't know how long it took for them to die after she was born, hell, they were working as triple agents against Red Skull of the day they died, where the hell was Teresa during that? So yeah, that's a plot hole, a significant one.

Then we have how they got so paranoid about keeping Teresa a secret, but haven't done anything to protect Peter as much, since it was known that they a kid, at least to Fury, so he could be in more danger, by extent Ben and May too, so why not try to protect them more? Maybe they couldn't do anything without looking suspicious? Would they have stopped all of that secrecy once Teresa was born because they wanted Mary to give birth safely? Enemies learning that a secret agent is pregnant could have them becoming more agressive after all. Were they just crap parents who favored Teresa over Peter before she was even born? Since it's established they were becoming more secretive, what were they planning to do? Were they planning to disapear eventually with Peter and Teresa, which might be why they kept everything about Teresa a secret, but they died before they could do that? Who knows? The characters are vague enough for explanations to this and other stuff be made, but doesn't change the fact we have these plot holes, Zdarsky's explanations are more on the "decent enough" category I guess lol.

Winter Soldier didn't play stuff safe. Or you know Damian Wayne. Bruce Wayne having a son with Talia was a bold game-changer and that happened in the comics. We got an explanation and everything for where Damian was and wat was he up to and so on...and Damian being Bruce's kid was a big deal.
    Good point, so not everyone plays safe, but that still doesn't change that if they choose to, they will, and Teresa is just a case of playing safe, 'cause hey, it makes sense, I like the character and all, but "secret sibling" retcons are annoying by default, they work better if the character never met their parents and doesn't have any contact with his family, and while Peter never met really met his parents, he still lived with Ben and May, so a secret sibling showing up is weird because he had contact with his family who were close enough to his parents, so her entire existence relies on "Secret agent parents being secret agents", and we know that Peter's parents being secret agents is controversial on the fanbase, so odds of her working are against her, of course, Marvel could've done a YOLO style confirmation like "Hey! This is Peter's sister! Not a Hoax! Not a dream! It's 200% confirmed!" or something like that, but they chose not to, and they have more than enough reason to play safe in this case.

I love that "Bring your daughter to work" moment between the two in Hickman's X-Men #1.
    And since X-Men is looking like it's gonna have family moments, specially since they're allowing Cyke's human father around, I think there'll be more moments between Magneto and Polaris too.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-18-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Has anyone read this issue Im surprised no one post anything about today by now. it was enjoyable and the art was amazing. nice cliffhanger athough the synopsis said JJJ was involved but he was no where to be seen or mentioned.

Foreigner was one of my fav Spidey villains. Last story I read was a Spectacular one where he gave up and turned himself in or something.

Haven't read those stories in awhile, but he seemed like a real problem.

BANNED

This issue felt really weak for me. Until now, I didn't think there was a bad issue in Spencer's run (obviously some were better than others, but everyone was solid) but I felt this was a bad issue for sure.

For a story that's supposed to set up a "mini-event" it really didn't have any real hook. It felt scatter-brained and unfocused. If the point of 2099 is that "the future is dying" then Miguel O'Hara should have been the focus and it should be about how he connects to Peter. If that setup was going to be in 2099 Alpha or whatever...well then that issue needed to come first, so this issue could more easily segue and tie-into it.

This feels like a tie-in issue and a lead-in issue to an event at the same time, and the cross-registers shows. So we have Peter as Grad student, pining after MJ, then suddenly Teresa takes him to an event...where we come across Foreigner and the Chameleon, and then Silver Sable for this Defalco-PAD reunion concert tour, and then separate and apart from all of this you have Miguel O'Hara who isn't tied to any of the stuff in Peter's story.

Either the Teresa-Chameleon story should have lead directly to Miguel's (which it still might, granted) or Spencer should have kept that on the back-burner before introducing Miguel because it feels smorgasbord-ish.

Spidey harem gotta love it Mj gone Silver says hi. Also a reference to Parker Industry which i find funny as last week people were arguing its relevance to the story.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

This was such a good issue! The art was sooooo good! The character reveal was awesome, and we got Lyla and Miggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    This issue felt really weak for me. Until now, I didn't think there was a bad issue in Spencer's run (obviously some were better than others, but everyone was solid) but I felt this was a bad issue for sure.

For a story that's supposed to set up a "mini-event" it really didn't have any real hook. It felt scatter-brained and unfocused. If the point of 2099 is that "the future is dying" then Miguel O'Hara should have been the focus and it should be about how he connects to Peter. If that setup was going to be in 2099 Alpha or whatever...well then that issue needed to come first, so this issue could more easily segue and tie-into it.

This feels like a tie-in issue and a lead-in issue to an event at the same time, and the cross-registers shows. So we have Peter as Grad student, pining after MJ, then suddenly Teresa takes him to an event...where we come across Foreigner and the Chameleon, and then Silver Sable for this Defalco-PAD reunion concert tour, and then separate and apart from all of this you have Miguel O'Hara who isn't tied to any of the stuff in Peter's story.

Either the Teresa-Chameleon story should have lead directly to Miguel's (which it still might, granted) or Spencer should have kept that on the back-burner before introducing Miguel because it feels smorgasbord-ish.
    Methinks Spencer changed the plan when he was writing. The solicit mentions Miguel more than Peter and JJJ was in it, but Jonah was nowhere in this story. Otherwise, I'd agree, though I liked this issue for the action and the setup of his Empire State friends

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Spidey harem gotta love it Mj gone Silver says hi. Also a reference to Parker Industry which i find funny as last week people were arguing its relevance to the story.
    I sometimes wonder if they plan to bring Parker Industries back in some form. only this time with Peter's three classmates as his new partners.

This issue was weak.

It looks like Spencer's focus was with Miguel, as his story develops properly, but Peter's story, it seems Spencer was setting up something with PI tech remaining (Which shouldn't be surprising, considering Aunt May has one of the PI tech she used in ASM#14, so some **** survived somehow), but then once Teresa arrives, the pacing speeds up like an overweight elephant falling down a cliff, suddenly they're in an stakeout seeing Chameleon and Foreigner doing business, then they are fighting a bunch of Jack O' Lanterns, then in the very next page, they're all gone and Spidey is fighting Foreigner (Spidey's quips were good though), then Silver Sable from outta nowhere.

This one is probably Spencer's weakest issue, feels like a 4/10, the pacing just ruined it.

This issue was weak.

It looks like Spencer's focus was with Miguel, as his story develops properly, but Peter's story, it seems Spencer was setting up something with PI tech remaining (Which shouldn't be surprising, considering Aunt May has one of the PI tech she used in ASM#14, so some **** survived somehow), but then once Teresa arrives, the pacing speeds up like an overweight elephant falling down a cliff, suddenly they're in an stakeout seeing Chameleon and Foreigner doing business, then they are fighting a bunch of Jack O' Lanterns, then in the very next page, they're all gone and Spidey is fighting Foreigner (Spidey's quips were good though), then Silver Sable from outta nowhere.

This one is probably Spencer's weakest issue, feels like a 4/10, the pacing just ruined it.
    I wouldn't say 4/10, that's a bit harsh. I'd go 6/10.

I wouldn't say 4/10, that's a bit harsh. I'd go 6/10.
    At best I'd give it a 5/10, which is what I call "decent", but the pacing in the end? Eh... Like I said, ruined for me.

6/10 is what I give to something I find actually good, which Spencer has quite a few in his run for me, this just isn't one of them.

At best I'd give it a 5/10, which is what I call "decent", but the pacing in the end? Eh... Like I said, ruined for me.

6/10 is what I give to something I find actually good, which Spencer has quite a few in his run for me, this just isn't one of them.
    I will give you that. It seemed to escalate pretty quickly. I wasn't even expecting the person at the end to show up so quickly.

I think if he would have taken out Miguel's part and devoted that specifically to the Spidey 2099 tie-in, and focused this on Peter with hints of the 2099 event, that would've made this issue 5x better. As it stands, it's rather unfocused, much like I've viewed Spencer's current issues since 2099 was teased. I hope that with issue #37 onwards, we'll go back to regular normal issues of Amazing Spider-Man without event tie-ins and focusing on the main plot.

I think if he would have taken out Miguel's part and devoted that specifically to the Spidey 2099 tie-in, and focused this on Peter with hints of the 2099 event, that would've made this issue 5x better.
    Which, funnily enough, he had already done in ASM#25, of course, that one was a longer issue, but the 2099 stuff was just a tease in the end of the issue.

As it stands, it's rather unfocused, much like I've viewed Spencer's current issues since 2099 was teased. I hope that with issue #37 onwards, we'll go back to regular normal issues of Amazing Spider-Man without event tie-ins and focusing on the main plot.
    It's too bad, ASM was avoiding tie-ins, and then when we got two in Absolute Carnage, but they worked because it was still telling his story while using AC's events, but 2099 stuff is isolated so far, so we have two stories happening at the same time with not enough pages for both.

Hopefully Spencer improves the next issues though, it'd suck to have meh stories for four more issues.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-23-2019 at 08:33 PM.