Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Another Secret Wars style reboot, Mutants in very big trouble

I haven't seen comments anywhere picking up on the clues Hickman is dropping, and only one comment from anyone old enough to remember Krakoa. I don't think any of this is secret, or spoilery. For those too young to have seen it, Krakoa is not new. It was introduced in the late 70's after X-Men had been cancelled for a few years and Marvel wanted to try a relaunch with new characters. It was a “mutant island” created by nuke testing. The original X-Men were lured there, tentacles stuck in them, and the island fed off them. Cyclops memory was altered and he was sent back thinking that he had escaped and had to form a new team for a rescue. He had really been sent back for more take out. Hence the Uncanny X-Men. In some way not adequately explained having Wolverine and Storm there (it’s not clear what Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Thunderbird were doing) allowed them all to escape from Krakoa.

Now, either Hickman has retconned Krakoa’s motives along with it’s origin, making it as ancient as Apocalypse, or there’s something more mysterious here than everyone suddenly giving up on Xavier’s dream of coexistence. What is Krakoa getting out of all this other than than the warm fuzzies? Why are they all acting like they’re on drugs and suddenly cooperating with one and other? Why are humans that haven’t been properly prepared not allowed through the gates?

What do we know? Kitty Pryde, precogs, and unprepared humans are not allowed on Krakoa proper. Krakoa is devious, has it's own self-interest, can monkey with mutant minds, and can feed off them. We've seen at least one mutant "sent to a deep place" where he will be aware but helpless (like the trapped original X-Men were). The mutants are all acting like pod-people and very focused on getting all mutants onto Krakoa. They've come up with a way of making even more mutants by resurrection, and are making it a priority to make more mutants the old fashioned way. The X-Men are now in opposition to the rest of the Marvel universe. And most importantly, the whole thing has a great big reset button. Looks very much like Secret Wars in broad outline.

Extraordinary Member

There have been comments all over the threads about this relaunch talking about this. A lot of them by me, so I basically support your thought here.

BANNED

This is old hat and has been hashed over numerous times in various threads. You are late to the party but it is certainly a interesting speculation.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I’m old enough to remember, and not to trust Krakoa either. The idea of a mutant nation is good, but I find it’s execution to be creepy, there is clearly Something Up and I look forward to finding out what.

It remains to be seen whether we end up in Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wicker Man or heaven forbid, Lord of the Flies...

I'm just enjoying what i'm enjoying until it changes. I didn't enjoy the terrigen mists but i made it through and found what little pieces i could that i really enjoyed. Here, that is so easy so if it happens it happens.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Thank you for synthesizing these points of interest and summing it all up in one post. We'll see if that's the direction Hickman ends up taking it.
    I'd add that part of why Moira has a No-Space would then be because Krakoa is trying to prevent Wolverine, Destiny, etc. from resetting her.

All-New Member

I'm thinkin more Matrix batteries.

All-New Member

No Destiny any more, and no precogs at all allowed. They can see something Krakoa doesn't want them seeing.

This would be a good reason for Polaris not being deeply involved with or trusting the plan with Krakoa. If handled well, it could feed into how she launched Krakoa (with powering up help from Storm, Cyclops and Havok), and of course her history with Genosha and not wanting to repeat millions dying like that.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Niffleheim

So make more mutant babies really means maybe make more mutant food for Krakoa lol!
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-24-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

yea I wasnt around when the issue was actually released but I do most certainly remember the giant size issue and I think that is why omega level mutants being considered a natural resource resonated with me - that is the most powerful mutants were desired because it could essentially feel krakoa. I think you are on to something and I don't think all is as appears there. maybe this is why kitty isnt allowed because her abilities would allow her to phase into the no-space area.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    This would be a good reason for Polaris not being deeply involved with or trusting the plan with Krakoa. If handled well, it could feed into how she launched Krakoa (with powering up help from Storm, Cyclops and Havok), and of course her history with Genosha and not wanting to repeat millions dying like that.
    Is this why Scott chose moon as his home instead of earth?

I'm going to be honest: this is a very boring theory.

I'd like to think Hickman has higher ambitions than Giant-Size X-Men's plot with more steps.
    Last edited by Harpoon; 10-24-2019 at 06:24 PM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

The thing is, Krakoa was chosen for convenience. It's a part of Moira's grand design, but for all that it brings to the table like the gateways and the drugs, it's just another piece on the board. "The dog was the mastermind all along!" is not in play.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

I do Wonder what the goal of the island itself is, since it's sentient.
    Companionship is one answer commonly given, but really, is it enough for Krakoa? The spreading of its eco-system throughout space might be its real point of interest. Something that Xavier and the mutants Following him enabled by reaching places Krakoa would never have been able to do so.
    Is there sinister motives behind that, or is it just instinct at play, who knows.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."