Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default X-Men Can't Have Nice Things

So in following the new status quo of Hickman's run and the concept of Krakoa Mutant Nation, they've set up some really important components for mutant survival dependencies in this new era:

- Krakoa: Super important. Without him, the mutants wouldn't have any of this power or the ability to create warp gates to travel as they do now. I'd hate for something to happen to the island, because it provides so much nurture and power for the mutants. Plus I thought Kid Krakoa was adorable and I thought Kid Krakoa's relationship with Quentin Quire was adorable.
    Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 2.29.29 PM.jpg

- The 5: Hope and the other mutants that bring mutants back to life after combat or mutants who were victims of genocide and hate crimes. This commodity is as precious as it gets. If one of them goes, the whole jig is up. No more regenerations.

- Prof X + Cerebro: He literally stores and backs up every mutant essence recorded. What if he dies? Or Cerebro runs out of batteries or gets kidnapped and possessed by the wrong hands? How are they gonna back up anyone if Xaviar + Cerebro is the only one who can do it? How long can he even do it for? Xavier being the only solution for this does not seem like a sustainable, long-term solution
    - side worry: Forge - he built the tech, so his knowledge is a liability

- Prof X/Magneto's brotherhood. Without this union of strength, commitment and vision, none of this would be possible. It's always interesting to see these two on the same side on occasion, but seriously, how long can this bromance last before the next schism happens?

- Doug Ramsey: the only mutant who can communicate with Krakoa. If he gets taken off the board again, the entire population of mutants is royally fucked.

- Apocalypse being sane and rationale. He's not out to just slaughter weak mutants (yet) which is great. But does he take orders from a council, really? I think he's got more of an emperialistic personality where democracy seems like something he's just "trying out" for the moment.

- Moira: if this woman dies again, its game over.

- Sinister: we already know he fugs some **** up somewhere along the line with the Great Betrayal or whatever. But having him sit quiet for now was kinda nice. How long do we get of this?

- Krakoa's dish washing bacterial solution: because, how else would the dishes be so clean?

Now, we all know that the mutants can't ever be allowed to be happy (hell they can't even board an X-Jet without it blowing up on them every time they try to go somewhere) Which of these precious things are you afraid of the mutants losing the most? Do you see any other potential risk items for the mutant nation to look out for?

~
    Last edited by Tunasammiches; 10-17-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Prof X + Cerebro.

Jeansus will freak the efff out when she finds out Xavier took away her powers-boosting cosmic chicken lesbianic BFF and brainwashed her into sharing her boy toy(s?). Alternatively, the Marauders might eventually figure out the insane "East India Company GOOOOOD!!!" joke Xavier pulled on them and take offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    So in following the new status quo of Hickman's run and the concept of Krakoa Mutant Nation, they've set up some really important components for mutant survival dependencies in this new era:

- Krakoa: Super important. Without him, the mutants wouldn't have any of this power or the ability to create warp gates to travel as they do now. I'd hate for something to happen to the island, because it provides so much nurture and power for the mutants. Plus I thought Kid Krakoa was adorable and I thought Kid Krakoa's relationship with Quentin Quire was adorable.

- The 5: Hope and the other mutants that bring mutants back to life after combat or mutants who were victims of genocide and hate crimes. This commodity is as precious as it gets. If one of them goes, the whole jig is up. No more regenerations.

- Prof X + Cerebro: He literally stores and backs up every mutant essence recorded. What if he dies? Or Cerebro runs out of batteries or gets kidnapped and possessed by the wrong hands? How are they gonna back up anyone if Xaviar + Cerebro is the only one who can do it? How long can he even do it for? Xavier being the only solution for this does not seem like a sustainable, long-term solution

- Prof X/Magneto's brotherhood. Without this union of strength, commitment and vision, none of this would be possible. It's always interesting to see these two on the same side on occasion, but seriously, how long can this bromance last before the next schism happens?

- Doug Ramsey: the only mutant who can communicate with Krakoa. If he gets taken off the board again, the entire population of mutants is royally fucked.

- Apocalypse being sane and rationale. He's not out to just slaughter weak mutants (yet) which is great. But does he take orders from a council, really? I think he's got more of an emperialistic personality where democracy seems like something he's just "trying out" for the moment.

- Sinister: we already know he fugs some **** up somewhere along the line with the Great Betrayal or whatever. But having him sit quiet for now was kinda nice. How long do we get of this?

- Krakoa's dish washing bacterial solution: because, how else would the dishes be so clean?

Now, we all know that the mutants can't ever be allowed to be happy (hell they can't even board an X-Jet without it blowing up on them every time they try to go somewhere) Which of these precious things are you afraid of the mutants losing the most? Do you see any other potential risk items for the mutant nation to look out for?

~
    Their little paradise is quite fragile… my bet is on Krakoa.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

What's Sinister even DOING on Krakoa? He's not a mutant, but a mutate who experimented on himself. Or did that get retconned?

Fantastic Member

He's
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    What's Sinister even DOING on Krakoa? He's not a mutant, but a mutate who experimented on himself. Or did that get retconned?
    He's apparently the mutant version of Sinister. Whatever that means.

He's

He's apparently the mutant version of Sinister. Whatever that means.
    He has thunderbird Mutant gene

Fantastic Member

~
    Well, it looks like they're tackling BOTH my #3 concern in X-Force and kind of starting to skim my #1 concern in New Mutants. I'm sensing the cracks starting to form already...

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    he gave himself a x-gene from proudstar

they probably have back ups, and some mutants to substitute. It would be a bit harder to end it

Prof X + Cerebro: He literally stores and backs up every mutant essence recorded. What if he dies? Or Cerebro runs out of batteries or gets kidnapped and possessed by the wrong hands? How are they gonna back up anyone if Xaviar + Cerebro is the only one who can do it? How long can he even do it for? Xavier being the only solution for this does not seem like a sustainable, long-term solution
    Other Telepaths can do it too, and they probably have other Cerebros to back up

Ultimate Member

Krakoa's a giant parasite that feeds off of mutants life-force. It's at an all-you-can-eat buffet. I wonder how long it's going to be able to restrain itself to just tasting all the nummy treats attracted to this mutant paradise and before some lesser-seen mutants start mysteriously disappearing...

BANNED

The recent interviews tackle the OP premise, which I fundamentally disagree with. I do think Krakoa has issues which will grow, but no, they’re not here to disassemble the mutants again and drive them into misery.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Now, we all know that the mutants can't ever be allowed to be happy
    And ramping this up with cases such as X-Tinction Agenda, Operation: Zero Tolerance, the Genosha genocide, and other atrocities will quite possibly make, at least for me, one unhappy, depressed, and unapproachable reading experience if it keeps going that route.

~

1. Nope Genosha and Utopia were just islands,Mutants have proven they can build conventional nations. Plus they have enough smart people to simulate Krakoa tech

2. Rogue, Mimic and Synch exists and they can copy Tempus,Egg and Elixirs power. They are couple of reality warpers like Franklin who could replace Proteus. Mr Sinister exists and he can do "interesting" stuff with cloning and maybe even Chimeras.

3. Quinton and Jean can use Cerebro

4. If something happens to Doug See 2. Plus Mondo, Fauna, Black Tom. This fiction someone else will be able to do it

Anyways they are multiple ways we can look at things not just bad. Hickman already said this isn't meant to pull the rug from under fans. This is the status quo for now if you are expecting to go up flames and be terrible that is not going to happen. That doesn't mean drama isn't going to happen but it is like expecting the mansion to blow up (yes bad example) and in spite of them destroying it over and over. You have no reason to assume that it will be blown up again without a good story reason. We never assumed the mansion was going to spontaneous combust ,Well neither will Krakoa. Krakoa is just the new X-Mansion. This is the status quo until someone else takes over and with Hickman being a long term planner that could take along time.

BANNED

Exactly. He's literally given multiple interviews about this in the last month, addressing the fan belief that the books will always pull the rug out and default to death and having to re-train the readers to move beyond it. It's not happening.

Eventually one of the mutants will get infected with nano-Sentinels before being backed up by Cerebro (could already have happened with Scott on the Orchis station), carrying the hidden Sentinel programming as a trojan to the backup servers, infecting the stored minds. After the infection takes hold and once activated, Krakoa will turn into the next Mother-Mold, producing Omega Sentinels.

Well, it looks like they're tackling BOTH my #3 concern in X-Force and kind of starting to skim my #1 concern in New Mutants. I'm sensing the cracks starting to form already...
    I honestly don’t think this is about cracks. This is about exploring and making stories out of these potential weaknesses. The weaknesses are now part of the new stakes, with the overall stakes being about building the nation and then getting back to some form of peace with humans.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.