Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Is Carol Danvers secrely a mutant?

Back in the 90's, Barbara Kesel and Leonard Kirk introduced the character Ultragirl to Marvel readers. Half-human, half-Kree, all mutant, Suzy would develop a similar power-set to Carol thanks to her x-gene. Relatively recently Carol was revealed to be half-
    Kree, her powers (that are way beyond those of the average Kree) being the result of an "ancient Kree defense mechanism" that activates in times of stress, similar to x-gene mutants. Carol's mother isn't an idiot and probably saw that mutant hatred was on the rise, so is it possible she "masked" her x-gene? If an Earth scientist can accomplish this, surely a Kree agent could do the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BANNED

Yes carol is a mutant this has been confirmed

The Kree are all Inhumans

How did Marvel dodge the Fox licensing for the movie, then?

BANNED

Jokes aside, I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned her to mutant since kree genes dont exactly confer powers or can be passed along like that.

Carol's not a mutant, and Ultra Girl needs retconning to not be one either. If Inhuman genetics originate from the Kree, and the X-gene and Inhuman gene cancel each other out (which was only established in the 2000s, I think?), shouldn't a Kree mutant be impossible?

Colossus just misdiagnosed the source of Carol's powers.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-18-2019 at 06:40 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If Inhuman genetics originate from the Kree, and the X-gene and Inhuman gene cancel each other out (which was only established in the 2000s, I think?), shouldn't a Kree mutant be impossible?
    The only case I know of that happening is Luna, and she underwent terrigenesis years before it was revealed that her father Quicksilver isn’t a real mutant.

Extraordinary Member

Carol's not a mutant, and Ultra Girl needs retconning to not be one either. If Inhuman genetics originate from the Kree, and the X-gene and Inhuman gene cancel each other out (which was only established in the 2000s, I think?), shouldn't a Kree mutant be impossible?

Or just do like they did with Abigail Brand...her human parent carried the X-Gene.

I hope not.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefly View Post
    Back in the 90's, Barbara Kesel and Leonard Kirk introduced the character Ultragirl to Marvel readers. Half-human, half-Kree, all mutant, Suzy would develop a similar power-set to Carol thanks to her x-gene. Relatively recently Carol was revealed to be half-
    Kree, her powers (that are way beyond those of the average Kree) being the result of an "ancient Kree defense mechanism" that activates in times of stress, similar to x-gene mutants. Carol's mother isn't an idiot and probably saw that mutant hatred was on the rise, so is it possible she "masked" her x-gene? If an Earth scientist can accomplish this, surely a Kree agent could do the same.
    Assuming mutant hatred was well-written in context to all of Earth-616 in general.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 10-18-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Mighty Member

I wouldn't see any tie to Inhuman genes here. Inhumans exist because the Kree experimented on humans. That has nothing to do with Kree genetics. We know from Operation Galactic Storm that the Kree are or were at an evolutionary dead end. Personally, while I can see the retcon of Carol being half Kree working at a story level, that it gives her powers does NOT.

Nobody ever confused Colossus with a geneticist.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Yes carol is a mutant this has been confirmed
    The fact that Colossus is saying "now" a mutant tells me that she isn't really a mutant but a mutate (especially since it was just genetic manipulation by the Brood). It's also much more in the metaphorical sense to justify the invite to join the X-Men.

The idea of a mutant-Inhuman hybrid cancelling each others powers out was established much earlier than the 2000s. It was in the Byrne run of the Fantastic Four. That being said, it wasn't actually true. Luna was born without the X-Gene, but she was still an Inhuman and gained powers through Terrigenesis. Of course, one could also consider the Quicksilver retcon here if one wished to...
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    [...] Luna was born without the X-Gene, but she was still an Inhuman and gained powers through Terrigenesis. Of course, one could also consider the Quicksilver retcon here if one wished to...
    She could develop the X-Gene later on in life, but since she's gonna be 9 years old forever, we'll never know since she'll never reach puberty. If they retconned her to not being a human, they can do so much more considering she's the only mutant-inhuman hybrid (Pietro's bound to become a mutant again). I'm sure there'll be a lot of mutant-inhuman couples that have children, but we'll never hear about them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    She could develop the X-Gene later on in life, but since she's gonna be 9 years old forever, we'll never know since she'll never reach puberty. If they retconned her to not being a human, they can do so much more considering she's the only mutant-inhuman hybrid (Pietro's bound to become a mutant again). I'm sure there'll be a lot of mutant-inhuman couples that have children, but we'll never hear about them.
    I think you are born with the X-Gene...you don't develop the gene later in life. It is powers that tend to not show up at birth.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I think you are born with the X-Gene...you don't develop the gene later in life. It is powers that tend to not show up at birth.
    She wasn't born with the inhuman gene, but they retconned that. They'll do whatever for a story.