Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

She certainly hung around the team a lot in the 80s..

And technically a piece of her mind was in Rogue for several years so in that way she was kind of a mutant in a weird way.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Carol's not a mutant, and Ultra Girl needs retconning to not be one either. If Inhuman genetics originate from the Kree, and the X-gene and Inhuman gene cancel each other out (which was only established in the 2000s, I think?), shouldn't a Kree mutant be impossible?

Colossus just misdiagnosed the source of Carol's powers.
    The Kree at this stage of their evolution in theory no longer "evolve." However, there have been Kree mutants in the past, just as there are are Kree Eternals, Deviants, etc. Unless they've changed this entire history of genetics, the Celestial experiments played a major role in the evolution of many species across various worlds. As such, you may see some of the same genetic offshoots on other planets that you see on Earth.

The Inhumans, of course, are a different story, since basically the Kree experimented on humans just like the Celestials experimented on everyone else.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

And to answer the OP's question, no, Carol isn't a mutant. They might change that later, but Peter's misquote aside, she's never registered as a mutant to Cerebro. Ever.

Also, let's keep in mind that Marvel's mythos is that all humans will eventually evolve to the point where everyone has powers, esp., the psionic variety. That should not be confused or conflated with all humans being mutants. Those are two entirely different and exclusive developments by virtue of the so called X-gene.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    She wasn't born with the inhuman gene, but they retconned that. They'll do whatever for a story.
    I was just talking about your"She could develop the X-Gene later on in life," comment. I am just saying it has been established that you are born with the x-gene...it does not show up later. IIRC...there was a storyline back in X-Factor (.gov team) that had a doctor who could test for it in utero and then abort the kid. I think it turned out to be Tempo's father.

As far as writers retconing and doing whatever they want....that will always be the case.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I was just talking about your"She could develop the X-Gene later on in life," comment. I am just saying it has been established that you are born with the x-gene...it does not show up later. IIRC...there was a storyline back in X-Factor (.gov team) that had a doctor who could test for it in utero and then abort the kid. I think it turned out to be Tempo's father.

As far as writers retconing and doing whatever they want....that will always be the case.
    I think the reason that they originally made Luna human was to punish/teach Magneto to care for humans since his own family ended up being human, but that didn't last very long.

I'd prefer her to not have an x-men connection beyond the one she has now.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I think the reason that they originally made Luna human was to punish/teach Magneto to care for humans since his own family ended up being human, but that didn't last very long.
    Nah, it was John Byrne being metaphorical with the Inhumans leaving the Earth. Magneto didn't have involvement until Englehart got involved.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?