Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spencer and the Spider-Villains!

Hey guys! I've noticed that Nick Spencer has been showcasing a lot of the older villains haven't appeared in a long time. I'm talking deep cuts. I thought it'd be fun to not only find which ones, but talk about them!

Here's what I got:
    Issue 2: Man Mountain Marko, The Ringer
    Issue 4: Mendell Stromm, Tri-Sentinel, Stegron, Cylcone, Hydro-Man, Looter
    Issue 6-7: Boomerang, Bar With No Name: Trapstr, 8-Ball, Brothers Grimm, Squid, Scorcher, Spot, Man-Bull, Kangaroo II, Mirage, The Answer (my favorite part of this story), Killer Shrike, Superior Foes (Beetle, Shocker, Speed Demon, Overdrive)
    Issue 11: Hippo, The Enforcers (Fancy Dan, Ox, Montana)
    Issue 12: Human Fly (?), Spider-Slayers
    Issue 13: Big Man III (Frederick Fosswell Jr.), Tarantula, Cobra
    Issue 17-23: Too many to count...Gibbon, Owl, Armadillo, Toad, Beetle, Pandamonium (!), Puma, Iguana, Leap Frog, and so many others
    Issue 25-28: Sinister Syndicate (Lady Octopus, Scorpia, Electro, Beetle, Trapstr, White Rabbit)
    Issue 32: The Foreigner
    Issue 33: The Hitman

I didn't count bigger name villains like Kraven, Chameleon, Carnage, Goblin, etc. because they're not unknown/underutilized. Same reason I didn't include Kindred either.

What do you guys think? Do I miss anyone? Do you like the fact that Spencer is going deep into Spider-Man history too?
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 11-07-2019 at 12:55 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I love this, it really fleshes out Spider-man's villain roster. I've always liked the idea that Doctor Octopus operates in the same underworlds as, say, the Kangaroo and White Rabbit.

Also there is such potential in having a huge array of B/C-tier losers who, with the right touch, could be a break out character in waiting. How many of us were just waiting for Boomerang's next appearance before Superior Foes? Now we all love him.

Over in Batman, everyone now knows the name Kite-Man (hell yeah!).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm waiting to see Lightmaster and Will o the Wisp... maybe Rocket Racer.

I would love to see Corona again too.
    Last edited by Hugo Strange; 10-18-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    I'm waiting to see Lightmaster and Will o the Wisp... maybe Rocket Racer.

I would love to see Corona again too.
    I could have sworn we did see Will O the Wisp for something

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I love this, it really fleshes out Spider-man's villain roster. I've always liked the idea that Doctor Octopus operates in the same underworlds as, say, the Kangaroo and White Rabbit.

Also there is such potential in having a huge array of B/C-tier losers who, with the right touch, could be a break out character in waiting. How many of us were just waiting for Boomerang's next appearance before Superior Foes? Now we all love him.

Over in Batman, everyone now knows the name Kite-Man (hell yeah!).
    Yes! I love Spider-Man having this deep villain roster where he can use new and exciting characters. I definitely think that the Sinister Syndicate have more potential, and so do the Savage Six

Amazing Member

Superior foes of Spider-Man is what really revitalized the c- and d-list villains.

Spencer simply continued his work from SFOSM to Amazing, adding more panels to Peter/Spider-Man. He even kept Boomerang as a living memento of his iconic run.

Till to this day, Spencer is more renowned for Superior Foes of Spider-Man rather than "Hail Hydra".
    It's a well deserved merit.

About the villains themselves, none of them is really interesting di per sé, but... That's what makes them interesting nonetheless.
    They have like a couple of appearances and a vague origin story. For the rest they are a bunch of blank states waiting to be filled. Spencer is the right man to do so because he clearly loves to twist/highlight secondary traits of the characters he is working on.

Astonishing Member

The thing I kinda dislike about how Spencer treats the villains is how the feel like jokes. It feels reminiscent of the Disney cartoons. So what if they’ll never be A-Listers! They’re still dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The thing I kinda dislike about how Spencer treats the villains is how the feel like jokes. It feels reminiscent of the Disney cartoons. So what if they’ll never be A-Listers! They’re still dangerous.
    To be fair, some of these guys haven't been treated as jokes. For the ones who appear in Hunted, they're still very dangerous, and for guys like the Enforcers and the Big Man, they took down Spider-Man. Most of them are treated as jokes, and that could get old, but Spencer does a good job of showcasing them and their personalities that people overlook that a bit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    To be fair, some of these guys haven't been treated as jokes. For the ones who appear in Hunted, they're still very dangerous, and for guys like the Enforcers and the Big Man, they took down Spider-Man. Most of them are treated as jokes, and that could get old, but Spencer does a good job of showcasing them and their personalities that people overlook that a bit.
    Obviously the main villains of each arc are treated seriously, but that Beetle/Randy subplot felt cringeworthy as if Spencer was trying to parody soap operas. If he was, then good job. It’s just not the type of humor that I like.

Obviously the main villains of each arc are treated seriously, but that Beetle/Randy subplot felt cringeworthy as if Spencer was trying to parody soap operas. If he was, then good job. It’s just not the type of humor that I like.
    Well to each their own in this matter.

I don't like too. I hope this Beetle/Randy subplot brings Tombstone back into Robertson Family's lives.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I could have sworn we did see Will O the Wisp for something
    He was in Absolute Carnage vs. Deadpool, if I recall.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He was in Absolute Carnage vs. Deadpool, if I recall.
    That explains it!

I checked out issue#5, where was Looter? Was it some random cameo or do I need to buy glasses? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I checked out issue#5, where was Looter? Was it some random cameo or do I need to buy glasses? Lol
    My mistake: he made a small cameo in issue #4