Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

I want it gone for none of those reasons. In just the marriage specific, I don't find ALL superhero marriages boring, but this one is. I liked the Peter/MJ marriage for instance, in all its imperfections. Once Lois and Clark got married though, it was just a largely Rockwellian life. Amped up to 11 with the kid and Tomasi's run in fact. But beyond that, I want it gone so Superman can go back to having to deal with his dual identity on his own, with no one to rely on. Is that a little lonely, a little sad? Yes. But its also depth, conflict, things that make a character interesting. The pitfalls that come with necessity of not being able to completely be himself in one way or another at all times adds so much. I think that makes for the most nuanced, intriguing version of the character. And that doesn't equal wanting him to be a brooding sadsack. Quite the opposite. That he is generally a happy, positive man who deals with his hardships is also part of his appeal. He can and should have relationships too, friends, try at romance. But all the same ones he has to keep at least somewhat at a distance. Can't completely let them in. Its the price he pays for being who he is. Being dour is not who he is nor what I want. But I do want emotional challenge in his very unique life. Phenomenal cosmic powers...itty bitty living space. To quote a famous genie.

Of course to those who disagree and look to the character for something else, to each their own.
    The problem with that is Clark doesn't have to deal with having dual identity on his own. He has many Superhero friends with dual identities that can confide in as well as his cousin who has the same powers as him and a "Super" based superhero identity. He can be himself with anyone in the Superhero community.

Also (in my opinion) Superman having to deal with the hardships of being a Superhero on his own would get so stale after a while. It was the same with Spider-Man in the 1980's. This is something that came up regularly in 1980's Spider-Man comics and it got so boring after a while.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

This is true, this is why in my ideal, he wouldn't have those superhero friends to rely on either, because they wouldn't know. Far too many people know outside his own books as well. Batman wouldn't know, Wonder Woman wouldn't know, etc. Just Kara would know when she eventually arrived. And Krypto, but he's not talkin'. The absolute minimal amount of people who know, the better. If you need to shake things up and add someone new to the mix on occasion, okay, but at the same time provide an out. Because imo, everyone and their mother knowing who he is becomes stale far quicker and far longer than the idea of it being a well-kept secret in the long run. But we're in a time in which the secret identity appears to be seen as outdated. And maybe for some characters it is. Maybe for some shaking that up makes sense. It doesn't for Superman. Its just too key. And too damned interesting when the effort is put in.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-18-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, Jessica Jones and Ironheart don't have secret identities. Ultimate Peter Parker was only outed when he was killed off though, and Miles's identity is still secret (though his parents know, plus Ganke and about a dozen superheroes).
    Bebore that,there is a large amount of people in story that figured it out that he is Peter Parker.

This is true, this is why in my ideal, he wouldn't have those superhero friends to rely on either, because they wouldn't know. Far too many people know outside his own books as well. Batman wouldn't know, Wonder Woman wouldn't know, etc. Just Kara would know when she eventually arrived. And Krypto, but he's not talkin'. The absolute minimal amount of people who know, the better. If you need to shake things up and add someone new to the mix on occasion, okay, but at the same time provide an out. Because imo, everyone and their mother knowing who he is becomes stale far quicker and far longer than the idea of it being a well-kept secret in the long run. But we're in a time in which the secret identity appears to be seen as outdated. And maybe for some characters it is. Maybe for some shaking that up makes sense. It doesn't for Superman. Its just too key. And too damned interesting when the effort is put in.
    That would be even worse in my opinion. Again, it reminds me of Spider-Man in the 80's. In my opinion, Superman needs friends in the Superhero community who knows who he is and who he can confide it. And that also goes for people who are not in the superhero community. Superheroes having to deal with the weight of being a hero on their own got stale and that is why I think most heroes grew past it.

It feels like such as static status quo to me, I have seen heroes have to deal with that before and it never goes anywhere interesting. Having people know who the hero is, on the other hand, does a lot for a character as it is good for a character to have someone who they can bounce their feeling off of and get the same in return instead of keeping them inside of themselves and only having themselves to internalize and process their feelings. They can give a different idea or new perspective that the hero has not seen and this can help the character develop or it can be used to move the plot forward. Superman can still have a secret identity to the world while still having a lot of close friends who know who he is.
    Last edited by KC; 10-18-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I’m guessing he’s not really around which ....is unfortunate.
    It's definitely unfortunate, and really highlights the missed opportunity that came from aging Jon up. Having ten year old Jon deal with his secret identity being out could have been immensely interesting, particularly in how it changed his relationship to his friends. Would he be allowed to hang out with Damian outside of Damian being Robin or would Bruce fear that would compromise Damian's own secret identity? Would Jon's friends at school treat him differently? Would his school even allow his to go there? It's an interesting dynamic that Tomasi could have really played with in the pages of Super Sons. Unfortunately, Bendis did Jon dirty.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Amazing Member

Actually it probably won't be. 5G after the Crisis will have Jon taking over the role. So there will really be no reason to put the secret identity back. In fact there's more incentive to keep it as the clear aim in all of this is to build up the Jon-as-Superman eventual status quo, and the plan for Jon's future appears to be being publicly known as the son of Lois and Superman. It rather has to be, to accommodate there not being questions about his age ups. It'll be known he's the son of Superman, and time travel adventures are why he's aged. This isn't planned as temporary by comic book standards. Only its eventual and hopefully quick failure will end it. The Crisis is looking to be designed in part to double down on it. It will end someday, of course, all I mean is that it doesn't seem like this is being done because a Crisis is coming to erase it.
    Was that confirmed anywhere? Or just a rumor from Bleeding Cool?

That would be even worse in my opinion. Again, it reminds me of Spider-Man in the 80's. In my opinion, Superman needs friends in the Superhero community who knows who he is and who he can confide it. And that also goes for people who are not in the superhero community. Superheroes having to deal with the weight of being a hero on their own got stale and that is why I think most heroes grew past it.
    I'm mixed. I do think heroes need some people who know - they don't have to be from the Superhero community to me. Though it's fine if they are. But there's something to be said for not every hero knowing every other hero's identity, too (though that's not what you are suggesting, I know). Just gotta find the right number of people/which individuals should know each hero's identity. And determine how close they are. Bronze age JLA, everyone knew each other's identities, but it didn't make them all super-close friends that would confide in each other most of the time. Which is fine.

Bruce and Diana work well for finding out Clark early, IMO. Dick will be right in there, too. Unsure if Jason or Tim would know as early - depends on what relationship Bruce and Clark have at the time they are Robin and, of course, Tim wasn't Bruce's kid for a long time and so wouldn't be with him when traveled (and ran into Clark) the way Dick was. Damian will have to know because of Jon. If you ship it, I expect Lois, Steve, and Selina would end up learning the other hero secret identities, too, in the long run. But beyond them, it just depends what background you have for the characters? Original JL, maybe, but would Billy Batson or John Stewart or Jaime Reyes or Ralph Dibny or Tora Olafsdotter need to know Superman's identity? Original Teen Titans would know all mentors' identities - just how they were, but there was no Super in that bunch.

I will admit other than skimming some issues in the store I dipped out the second didio hired bendis.

Rebirth felt like the books were on the right track finally but somehow dan claws his way back into the drivers seat. I truly believe the only way to get enjoyable stories from DC is to fire the people from dan down to all his bad hires. I doubt this will sell well for long once the issues hit the stores and the 5 g doesn't sell. Within 6 months I bet it all starts to collapse.

I look forward to the day dan getting fired is more than a rumor or wishful thinking. Thank god for back issues. One issue to go on Superman Year One will have to hold me for quite some time it seems.

Astonishing Member

Welp, there goes my support for Bendis’ run.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

"Clark Kent", as portrayed classically, doesn't really serve a purpose narratively once he has a wife and children. The role of a journalist has also immensely changed in 2019, and a guy like Superman just couldn't hold a position at CNN...but wouldn't make a living as a writer.

I've long said that the concept of "Clark Kent" needs to be modernized. Lobdell, of all people, had this idea- with Clark telling off Morgan Edge who owned the Planet and starting his own online outlet with Cat Grant.

As I see it Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter, either can be scraped in favour of SUPERMAN ALL THE TIME and SUPERMAN AND SON stories (neither of which excite me) or he can undergo a creative overhaul. I'd love to see a SUPERMAN where he's an enigmatic Metropolis fire fighter and a writer, a Lois Lane who is a hard living journalist, a James Olsen who works for the major news outlet The Daily Planet and is a pal of Clark Kent.

I'll be interested to see where Bendis takes this, and if it has similar DNA to his DAREDEVIL stuff which was dope as hell.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-18-2019 at 03:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Welp, there goes my support for Bendis’ run.
    Ok I can’t believe I’m about to do this but I’m going to defend Bendis for a minute: I’m not entirely convinced this was his idea or his fault.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Ok I can’t believe I’m about to do this but I’m going to defend Bendis for a minute: I’m not entirely convinced this was his idea or his fault.
    Ther fact that new 52 Superman revealed his identy right before Rebirth happened and now this Superman is revealing his identity as 5G rumors are swirling just seems like too much of a coincidence. I definitely thinks this is Didio at work trying to make headlines before the reset happens. Heck, another somehwat similar thing happened before flashpoint with Superman walking around the country. I wasn't even reading comis at the time, but I remember reading headlines about that. It seems like they always do random things like this before something big.

I'd be monumentally shocked if this wasn't Bendis's pitch which of course Didio signed off on. The whole initiative is just way too much like ANAD Marvel to be a coincidence. I just can't buy for a second Didio came up with this and Bendis is just along for the ride. It doesn't feel like a Didio creative choice. He likes the classic characters, he just likes doing controversial, dark things with them. If anything he has an anathema to legacies and generally ignores them when he's the idea man. I think its most likely this is just how Rebirth formed. Instead of Johns, Didio went to Bendis this time and said we need a shakeup, give me the formula.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-18-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Pretty soon Peter Parker and friends will be the only superheroes who do the whole dual identity thing lol.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-18-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I’m confident Bendis will tell some great stories with this new status quo. Personally, I think the secret identity concept is outdated. That this pushes Superman into some new territory I think will be exciting. No way someone is going to put glasses on and blend in without people recognizing him. If he went to a complete disguise then I’d buy that. I can’t except glasses. I don’t really like secret identities on anyone. People will find out! That’s a guarantee.