Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

They didn't learn a thing with "Truth", did they? And how many times have we had stories confirming that Superman needs Clark just to have some downtime, to get out of the spotlight? But go ahead, DC, screw things up and leave it to future writers to come up with some convoluted way to put the genie back in the bottle. It won't be the first time.

My biggest question is: will it really be a permanent change or just stick around for a few years before being undone. perhaps by a shift to another new continuity?
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    My biggest question is: will it really be a permanent change or just stick around for a few years before being undone. perhaps by a shift to another new continuity?
    Seems like Bendis doesn’t plan to undo it within his run. Afterwards there’s never any guarantees obviously.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    They didn't learn a thing with "Truth", did they? And how many times have we had stories confirming that Superman needs Clark just to have some downtime, to get out of the spotlight? But go ahead, DC, screw things up and leave it to future writers to come up with some convoluted way to put the genie back in the bottle. It won't be the first time.
    It's not much of a downtime,if he has to act like the village idiot all the time. He basically has to be all clumsy, timid, terrified and basically completely wierd with everyone. Even the ones who he is pretty close to like perry and jimmy. Perry is the godfather of their kid,this was a long time due.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It's not much of a downtime,if he has to act like the village idiot all the time. He basically has to be all clumsy, timid, terrified and basically completely wierd with everyone. Even the ones who he is pretty close to like perry and jimmy. Perry is the godfather of their kid,this was a long time due.
    Except... He never acted like that during Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Except... He never acted like that during Rebirth.
    It's pretty much a given. This guy is supposed to be amalgam of sorts. It is left ambiguous .it comes and goes depending on the people writing. For example, when people who like precrisis persona writes it. clark plays the clumsy guy. For example, in rebirth when clark appeared in green arrow he played the idiot. Clark is'nt that clumsy persona. It is something clark created. The real clark is a nerd or a jock or a goth.he can't fit into those boxes. He ifits into all of them and none of them. He is an outsider.

Look at the last set of panels. He plays the idiot to stop the mugger, paint and help the old lady.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It's pretty much a given. This guy is supposed to be amalgam of sorts. It is left ambiguous .it comes and goes depending on the people writing. For example, when people who like precrisis persona writes it. clark plays the clumsy guy. For example, in rebirth when clark appeared in green arrow he played the idiot. Clark is'nt that clumsy persona. It is something clark created. The real clark is a nerd or a jock or a goth.he can't fit into those boxes. He ifits into all of them and none of them. He is an outsider.

Look at the last set of panels. He plays the idiot to stop the mugger, paint and help the old lady.
    No he doesn't. He subtly interferes. There's no apologizing, making excuses for his clumsiness, or anything like that. He doesn't trip over anyone, bump someone away, or anything like that. He basically goes "yoink!" the entire time.

No he doesn't. He subtly interferes. There's no apologizing, making excuses for his clumsiness, or anything like that. He doesn't trip over anyone, bump someone away, or anything like that. He basically goes "yoink!" the entire time.
    Subtlety is because of the writer is good. That doesn't change the fact that it is his persona. He is playing the idiot there. In all star superman too he plays the idiot. he trips over the mugger. He does apologise. its just not given a bubble because those panels are from a different perspective. It is from green arrow's perspective. Also, the fake clark kent(mxy) was an clumsy idiot too.
    Plain sight hiding without the persona is stupid. It just doesn't hold any depth clark has as a person. It is something that started postcrisis byrne reboot.
    For the record, if you think superman does this to imitate being human or parody being human. That is cynical person's interpretation like lex's.And That is wrong. That personality is something inherent in the real clark. It is just exaggerated by Clark's skill as an actor.but that doesn't mean that is the real clark.The way i see it clumsy clark persona is sort off like hinata from naruto.Real Clark kent isn't hinata-esque. He is more like naruto himself.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-26-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Supes was always sly with his interference as Clark when I was reading as a Kid like he was winking at the Audience (which he also did, a lot). The Bumbling came from Reeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Supes was always sly with his interference as Clark when I was reading as a Kid like he was winking at the Audience (which he also did, a lot). The Bumbling came from Reeve.
    Every Fleischer cartoon episode basically ended with that wink. Actually, the golden age clark kent persona was basically a wimp at first. Much worse, lois had a reason to not care about that guy.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This pretty much cements in my mind that a big reboot is coming. DC is just saying do whatever you want because it is all not going to matter in a year or two so go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This pretty much cements in my mind that a big reboot is coming. DC is just saying do whatever you want because it is all not going to matter in a year or two so go crazy.
    I think this time around.they are going to reboot differently. Rather than erasing every they are going to split them up as different generations. Start a new generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    At this point I hope so, but I'm really not all that certain. They're going to have the Crisis that leads into 5G, and at the very least in the past, Crises led to start over points of a sort. So to me in their head, 5G is that start over. So I'm not convinced that at least in their plans, another big reboot is forthcoming anytime soon. Maybe they'll be forced to if this crashes and burns, which I think it will (DC fans are more resistant to change than Marvel fans, and even for Marvel ANAD was very controversial and didn't last long term). But I don't think its in their heads at the moment.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I was also thinking about what he'd be known as. Like, we assumed "President Superman" was the go-to, but given the reveal, "President Kent" sounds more likely.

But, it just now hit me that he could opt to be called Clark as early as issue 18 or 19. He may leave the Superman name vacant fairly soon. Though, I'm sure many people will still want to call him Superman as a force of habit, and we'll get a few "Super--I mean, President Kent, sir"
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I was also thinking about what he'd be known as. Like, we assumed "President Superman" was the go-to, but given the reveal, "President Kent" sounds more likely.

But, it just now hit me that he could opt to be called Clark as early as issue 18 or 19. He may leave the Superman name vacant fairly soon. Though, I'm sure many people will still want to call him Superman as a force of habit, and we'll get a few "Super--I mean, President Kent, sir"
    Superman is the title given to clark by the people. It is something consistent throughout history of the character. The president thing is not. He is not democratically elected one. I would hate for clark to lose "superman" for being this kind of president as a title .
    Which reminds me, if jon is going to be superman. I hope that bendis shows jon to earn the title from the people like his father. Not get handouts from his father. Superboy was a different kind of title. It didn't require jon to earn it from the people. He was superboy by virtue of having the powers like Connor or clark before him.
    Edit-what i mean is. I want jon to have his iron giant moment.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-26-2019 at 03:37 PM.