Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Secret identities don't exist, not in the way they exist in a superhero universe. It's a contrived and flawed concept which belongs to a different era of comics. As it often happens with this kind of concepts, there's a lot of room for maneuver to force it into any kind of possible metaphors. Think about it as if it was a metaphor for undercover agents, and revealing the ID publicly is clearly dangerous and improvident. Think about it as an occasion to reveal your real being, as some sort of coming out, and it suddenly makes sense. There is not one right answer. One thing's for sure - it is true that public identities have become a rare trope in a lot of superhero comic books. And I don't think that characters really suffered because of it. If they want to make it work, it will.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The “danger” his friends and family are in is as contrived as anything else though. It’s ridiculous to say the Daily Planet is now a target because they now know Superman literally works there instead of just spending 90% of his apparent free time hanging out on the roof. Arguably the DP, Lois, Jimmy, Perry and the rest are safer now that the connection is explicit as opposed to assumed. As Bendis established early on the Invisible Mafia wouldn’t even say Lois’ name because of the perceived connection.
    That's assuming all there would be is "danger" though. The difference between Lois being a married friend to Superman and the wife of Superman is pretty big if we're talking about the quality of life.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Secret identities don't exist, not in the way they exist in a superhero universe. It's a contrived and flawed concept which belongs to a different era of comics. As it often happens with this kind of concepts, there's a lot of room for maneuver to force it into any kind of possible metaphors. Think about it as if it was a metaphor for undercover agents, and revealing the ID publicly is clearly dangerous and improvident. Think about it as an occasion to reveal your real being, as some sort of coming out, and it suddenly makes sense. There is not one right answer. One thing's for sure - it is true that public identities have become a rare trope in a lot of superhero comic books. And I don't think that characters really suffered because of it. If they want to make it work, it will.
    I think masked vigilante's being a thing in real life (if not to the extent of Superheroes) is probably the closest metaphor to Superheroes and their secret identities.

I can only really think of spies as well, but they're still beholden to their specific governments rather then have the autonomy I think people associate with Superheroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think masked vigilante's being a thing in real life (if not to the extent of Superheroes) is probably the closest metaphor to Superheroes and their secret identities.

I can only really think of spies as well, but they're still beholden to their specific governments rather then have the autonomy I think people associate with Superheroes.
    Masked vigilantes in real life, generally speaking, are just seriously deranged people. And a spy is not the most recognized person in the whole world the way Superman is.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Masked vigilantes in real life, generally speaking, are just seriously deranged people. And a spy is not the most recognized person in the whole world the way Superman is.
    I know, but they basically operate the same way Superheroes do, minus the deranged part. Which is probably why Batman, who is the most similar to them in MO, is usually the one hero most people point out as being a bit of a crazy person (even if he really isn't).

Spies aren't public figures, yeah, but I was just thinking in the sense of people who ostensibly fight against evil of a sort without the general public knowing exactly who they are.

Astonishing Member

I know, but they basically operate the same way Superheroes do, minus the deranged part. Which is probably why Batman, who is the most similar to them in MO, is usually the one hero most people point out as being a bit of a crazy person (even if he really isn't).
    Sure, but that's one specific case in an entire universe of perfectly sane and generally well-accepted masked guys. I agree that that the metaphor psycho Batman/vigilantism is a good idea which was the basis for a lot of good stories.
    Spies aren't public figures, yeah, but I was just thinking in the sense of people who ostensibly fight against evil of a sort without the general public knowing exactly who they are.
    That's exactly my point. The secret IDs can be used as a metaphor for a lot of different things, very different from each other. But they don't exist in real life.
    Last edited by Myskin; 11-15-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Sure, but that's one specific case in a entire universe of perfectly sane and generally well-accepted masked guys. I agree that that the metaphor psycho Batman/vigilantism is a good idea which was the basis for a lot of good stories.
    I think it depends how you play it. I think most people prefer a more well-adjusted Batman, at least relatively.
    That's exactly my point. The secret IDs can be used as a metaphor for a lot of different things, very different from each other. But they don't exist in real life.
    I don't think they have to. Neither do Superheroes .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The “danger” his friends and family are in is as contrived as anything else though. It’s ridiculous to say the Daily Planet is now a target because they now know Superman literally works there instead of just spending 90% of his apparent free time hanging out on the roof. Arguably the DP, Lois, Jimmy, Perry and the rest are safer now that the connection is explicit as opposed to assumed. As Bendis established early on the Invisible Mafia wouldn’t even say Lois’ name because of the perceived connection.
    The truth is the exact opposite. Some villain wants to pick a fight with Superman? Put some pressure on his friends at the Planet or his wife. Some villain want revenge on Superman? Attack and kill his friends and associates. Need a hostage to keep Superman away? Why settle for Joe Random when you can go after Ron Troupe or Jimmy Olsen? Superman is a target, therefore everyone who is close to him is a target. That is literally the whole point of the Superman identity, to keep Clark's use of his abilities and the dangers that involves entirely separate from his personal life.

The Superman identity will literally become redundant once it's out in the open. It serves no further purpose.

If you don't think anonymity is useful, try asking people who get doxxed and suddenly have crazy protesters camped out on their private residence whether or not being unknown was a good thing.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    The truth is the exact opposite. Some villain wants to pick a fight with Superman? Put some pressure on his friends at the Planet or his wife. Some villain want revenge on Superman? Attack and kill his friends and associates. Need a hostage to keep Superman away? Why settle for Joe Random when you can go after Ron Troupe or Jimmy Olsen? Superman is a target, therefore everyone who is close to him is a target. That is literally the whole point of the Superman identity, to keep Clark's use of his abilities and the dangers that involves entirely separate from his personal life.

The Superman identity will literally become redundant once it's out in the open. It serves no further purpose.

If you don't think anonymity is useful, try asking people who get doxxed and suddenly have crazy protesters camped out on their private residence whether or not being unknown was a good thing.
    How many times has jon been kidnapped? Exactly. Secret identity meant squat to protect jon or his personal life. People already go after jimmy to get to superman. Same with lois, perry and others. Lois lane is seen as superman's ex or scandalous relation. Its very public. Lois doesn't need superman to get into trouble .
    Superman is the title given to clark. It's the real clark kent or kal el. It can never be redundant.
    To be fair to you, i am just playing devil's advocate. I don't particularly have a skin in the game.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-15-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't think they have to. Neither do Superheroes .
    Apparently this is the case these days.
    Personally speaking, I see the reveal as the natural next step after a long period of adjustment an outsider like Superman took to become part of a society. I don't even need many reasons to make it happen. As far as I am concerned, he could simply say that the time has come to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post

But it’s already known he’s friends with and generally close with the people at the Planet. Its not like they are supposed to be strangers. Superman’s connection to the Daily Planet is common knowledge. It’s not really that big of a difference for him or Lois. Lois has been assumed to be his girlfriend for decades anyways. Rucka hit on that in his first Adventures of Superman run 15 years ago.

Plus the point of Superman is it doesn’t matter who the hostage is, he’s going to try to save everyone regardless. Tom King just spent a year laying that out.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Apparently this is the case these days.
    Personally speaking, I see the reveal as the natural next step after a long period of adjustment an outsider like Superman took to become part of a society. I don't even need many reasons to make it happen. As far as I am concerned, he could simply say that the time has come to move on.
    I said this in the other thread. It should have been done when clark was comfortable in his own skin and personal life. Then it would have felt like the next step. This feels more like a reaction.

I don't put as much stock into the protection aspect. If the lore wants to play that, fine. If they don't, fine enough as well. The secret ID to me is far more key in regards to just his general characterization. Its a selling point, its a part of him, and the duality when actually utilized makes him interesting. In-story to me its far more about down time and normalcy; protecting himself in that sense. Its so much more ingrained than any other superhero that's its not interchangeable like it would be for others that Bendis has done this with before. Its a different ball-game, and that will be the downfall of this endeavor because he doesn't get that. When it comes to Superman and his mythos, the real-world excuses to use to explain away getting rid of it don't hold an ounce of water. I'd make the joke that they might as well call him something other than Superman now, but the equally sad thing is that its not even a joke, as he's really not going to be Superman for much longer. From that frame of mind I guess maybe the timing of this ruination fits.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-15-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I said this in the other thread. It should have been done when clark was comfortable in his own skin and personal life. Then it would have felt like the next step. This feels more like a reaction.
    I don't agree. Nothing is really forcing to take this choice. There are just many little details, but nothing definitive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't put as much stock into the protection aspect. If the lore wants to play that, fine. If they don't, fine enough as well. The secret ID to me is far more key in regards to just his general characterization. Its a selling point, its a part of him, and the duality when actually utilized makes him interesting. Its so much more ingrained than any other superhero that's its not interchangeable like it would be for others that Bendis has done this with before. Its a different ball-game, and that will be the downfall of this endeavor because he doesn't get that. When it comes to Superman and his mythos, the real-world excuses to use to explain away getting rid of it don't hold an ounce of water. I'd make the joke that they might as well call him something other than Superman now, but the equally sad thing is that its not even a joke, as he's really not going to be Superman for much longer.
    There isn't any real-world excuse as far as I am concerned. I am against real-world metaphors to give different interpretations of secret IDs. To me, it's not different from Peter Parker stopping being the Daily Bugle photographer after 50 years, or Superman revealing his identity to Lois Lane.