Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

I want it gone for none of those reasons. In just the marriage specific, I don't find ALL superhero marriages boring, but this one is. I liked the Peter/MJ marriage for instance, in all its imperfections. Once Lois and Clark got married though, it was just a largely Rockwellian life. Amped up to 11 with the kid and Tomasi's run in fact. But beyond that, I want it gone so Superman can go back to having to deal with his dual identity on his own, with no one to rely on. Is that a little lonely, a little sad? Yes. But its also depth, conflict, things that make a character interesting. The pitfalls that come with necessity of not being able to completely be himself in one way or another at all times adds so much. I think that makes for the most nuanced, intriguing version of the character. And that doesn't equal wanting him to be a brooding sadsack. Quite the opposite. That he is generally a happy, positive man who deals with his hardships is also part of his appeal. He can and should have relationships too, friends, try at romance. But all the same ones he has to keep at least somewhat at a distance. Can't completely let them in. Its the price he pays for being who he is. Being dour is not who he is nor what I want. But I do want emotional challenge in his very unique life. Phenomenal cosmic powers...itty bitty living space. To quote a famous genie.

Of course to those who disagree and look to the character for something else, to each their own.
The problem with that is Clark doesn't have to deal with having dual identity on his own. He has many Superhero friends with dual identities that can confide in as well as his cousin who has the same powers as him and a "Super" based superhero identity. He can be himself with anyone in the Superhero community.

Also (in my opinion) Superman having to deal with the hardships of being a Superhero on his own would get so stale after a while. It was the same with Spider-Man in the 1980's. This is something that came up regularly in 1980's Spider-Man comics and it got so boring after a while.