Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mago dos Gatos View Post
    It was not a just a small amount of people in the Ultimate Spider-man comics.The population at large didn't knew,but at sometime or another,most of the named characters knew he was Spider-Man.
    Like I said, this was pretty common in superhero comics at the time. A hero's identity was either public or several characters were in on the secret. Batman alone had numerous supporting characters not to mention other superheroes who knew his secret identity. And 616 Peter had MJ, Aunt May, Felicia, Norman, Ben Reilly, Kaine, Madame Webb, Eddie Brock and Daredevil as being aware of his secret identity.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-19-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'm of two minds - I want to see where this goes, but I also don't want it to be permanent. So I'm half with you, there. And... I'm 39, aren't you younger than me? lol
    About the difference of seven years. I think you get my base for Superman because of that, and how the one thing despite years of credibility for the creators was that deal breaking electric phase.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

Does the general population on DC care about Superman private life,to this reveal of Clark Kent's identity,change the opinion in-universe view of Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Like I said, this was pretty common in superhero comics at the time. A hero's identity was either public or several characters were in on the secret. Batman alone had numerous supporting characters not to mention other superheroes who knew his secret identity. And 616 Peter had MJ, Aunt May, Felicia, Norman, Ben Reilly, Kaine, Madame Webb, Eddie Brock and Daredevil as being aware of his secret identity.
    I'ill rant about Bendis's writing on Ultimate Spider-man later

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mago dos Gatos View Post
    Does the general population on DC care about Superman private life,to this reveal of Clark Kent's identity,change the opinion in-universe view of Superman?
    Maybe. People have always admired Superman as a hero, and they trust him. Now they will learn that he hasn't been completely honest with them. Many people will consider this to be a form of betrayal, and some will consider his having lived among them all this while as tantamount to his being a spy. Is he the advance scout for a Kryptonian invasion?

Is anyone else starting to get a "Funeral For A Friend" vibe here?

We've got the big huge, status quo changing story. Then we've got the little tie-in specials exploring how the world reacts to it, from heroes to villains to regular people on the street to the civilian supporting cast.

It feels a lot like Funeral For A Friend to me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    About the difference of seven years. I think you get my base for Superman because of that, and how the one thing despite years of credibility for the creators was that deal breaking electric phase.
    Oh, absolutely. I just had to make that joke.

Though, looking back now, knowing that the electric phase was just that.. makes me want to go back and read that as the temporary thing it actually was, instead of the "new normal" it was hyped as. At the time, I was freaking out! lol... and the best part was that year's Superman Celebration - they had a lot of weird storms that year and a LOT of heat lightning (moves horizontally, for anyone who may not know) and we'd always joke "Oh, look! There goes Superman!" lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

We've got the big huge, status quo changing story. Then we've got the little tie-in specials exploring how the world reacts to it, from heroes to villains to regular people on the street to the civilian supporting cast.

Big time - I had that thought earlier today, actually. And then I had another thought: first, they reacted to all the crap Superman's trunks get, and "New Coke'd" his trunks so now (most) people are fine that they're back. Now, it would seem they're doing the same thing to his need of a secret identity. That may or may not be the intention, but I have a feeling that's what the effect will be.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Now that you mention it, yeah, you're totally right.

I really like the idea of getting two one-shots specials dedicated to this shift, and exploring a few sides of it. Makes it feel like the event it should be, plus, extra Superman for two months.

Looking forward to seeing who the villain is that changes their ways. So far I'm guessing it's out off Toyman, Livewire, and Red Cloud. Livewire or Red Cloud would be kind of easy, imo, so I'd actually be really down for it to be Toyman. It'd be kind of wild if he kind of become the new Prof Hamilton/reverse Lex.

I also imagine Clark's gonna get all of his awards and such revoked. I noticed that on more than one occasion Bendis' brought up that Clark had won some awards including an Emmy.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

As with most big changes, if it makes for some good stories, great, if it doesn't and readers aren't digging it, they'll bring in Mxy again to handwave it all away again.

I'm hoping it'll make for some interesting Superman comics.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    As with most big changes, if it makes for some good stories, great, if it doesn't and readers aren't digging it, they'll bring in Mxy again to handwave it all away again.

I'm hoping it'll make for some interesting Superman comics.
    I hope they hand wave the arc with clark and lois sending jon away.

This can't and shall not be a permanent change. His dual identity is too integral to his appeal.

At the same time it might have potential. Who knows it can lead to some good and interesting stories. I am curious. What kind of stuff can come out of this? The bad thing about this might be sidelining the Daily Planet. I thought that was one part Bendis was doing the best.

For a temporary storyline, dealing with the fallout of Lois and Clark's integrity as reporters being called into question over such a big lie has potential. Especially in regards to Lois's character. Being a reporter is a big deal to Clark but its a bigger deal to Lois so that would be an interesting conflict for her to deal with. This is a situation that, if I didn't know what else was coming already and what this is leading to, I'd be excited of the possibility to explore that. With what I know though even if that does get explored, a shadow would be hanging over it all hurting my potential enjoyment.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For a temporary storyline, dealing with the fallout of Lois and Clark's integrity as reporters being called into question over such a big lie has potential. Especially in regards to Lois's character. Being a reporter is a big deal to Clark but its a bigger deal to Lois so that would be an interesting conflict for her to deal with. This is a situation that, if I didn't know what else was coming already and what this is leading to, I'd be excited of the possibility to explore that. With what I know though even if that does get explored, a shadow would be hanging over it all hurting my potential enjoyment.
    Clark's integrity wouldn't really matter. He will no longer be a reporter. He is going to be president. Isn't he?
    As for lois, this will be an up hill battle.but, she is not bystander and she is writing a book on it. I think she is going to release it after the ordeal or clark himself does without lois knowing it. The daily planet's reputation will be tarnished. Poor perry how on earth is he going to get out of this one. But, then again lois isn't a planet staff anymore.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Truth done without angst? Without t shirt and tethered cape badagge? Without depowered Superman? Without Lois being framed as a traitor? These new writers don't know what they are doing ��

Kinda excited.

Bendis doing the identity reveal with actual stakes and reprecautions is something I want to see.

Clark losing his ability to BE Clark? Being outed (even if he's the one doing it)? Becoming a career politician? Jon's general direction since Bendis took over? Lois and Clark being rather indifferent about him for the most part? Only one thing to say to all this;

thanksihateit.jpg

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    This can't and shall not be a permanent change. His dual identity is too integral to his appeal.

At the same time it might have potential. Who knows it can lead to some good and interesting stories. I am curious. What kind of stuff can come out of this? The bad thing about this might be sidelining the Daily Planet. I thought that was one part Bendis was doing the best.
    I don't think the Daily Planet will be sidelined. I'm sure it'll become a recurring target for Superman's enemies after his identity will be public.