Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am confused now. If superman is his real self. Wouldn't he be just be behaving like himself? The act is just a lie. It isn't real. If he is coming out. Wouldn't it make sense to be himself?

Mighty Member

this will give Luther another leg up on year of the villain

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am confused now. If superman is his real self. Wouldn't he be just be behaving like himself? The act is just a lie. It isn't real. If he is coming out. Wouldn't it make sense to be himself?
    Both Clark and Superman are his real selves. He's both. It's not an either/or situation.

He is Clark Kent of Smallville, who was raised by Jonathan & Martha Kent in Kansas to embrace Truth, Justice & the American Way and works as a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet in Metropolis.

He is also Kal-El of Krypton, who serves and protects humanity as Earth's Greatest Hero, Superman.

Neither of these is a disguise to him. Neither of them is a lie. The only deception was pretending that they weren't the same person for all these years.

The fun in this new direction is seeing how the character can balance those two parts of himself without that deception. It's going to be very, very difficult and he might end up regretting his decision, despite it allowing him to live his life on his own terms, rather than sticking to a promise he made to his parents when he was a child. He's a grown man with his own family now and I'm very curious to see how this idea plays out.

You know what? I'm excited to see who ends up doing the secret service detail.

This has just become the most interesting aspect of this entire "going public/politics" thing to me. Who do you get to guard President Kent and the First Family?

And whoever they get....how is that person gonna keep up with Lois friggin Lane?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Both Clark and Superman are his real selves. He's both. It's not an either/or situation.

He is Clark Kent of Smallville, who was raised by Jonathan & Martha Kent in Kansas to embrace Truth, Justice & the American Way and works as a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet in Metropolis.

He is also Kal-El of Krypton, who serves and protects humanity as Earth's Greatest Hero, Superman.

Neither of these is a disguise to him. Neither of them is a lie. The only deception was pretending that they weren't the same person for all these years.

The fun in this new direction is seeing how the character can balance those two parts of himself without that deception. It's going to be very, very difficult and he might end up regretting his decision, despite it allowing him to live his life on his own terms, rather than sticking to a promise he made to his parents when he was a child. He's a grown man with his own family now and I'm very curious to see how this idea plays out.
    I never said anything about clark.clark is his identity,fine.but that act isn't. He ain't mild mannered.

I never said anything about clark.clark is his identity,fine.but that act isn't. He ain't mild mannered.
    I think a part of him certainly is mild-mannered. The over-the-top clumsiness is a deception, definitely, but even that is grounded in his real feelings of being physically awkward in his youth due to his developing powers.

This all depends upon how you view the character, though. If you take the Bronze Age approach, Clark Kent is a creation of Kal-El. If you take the Post-Crisis interpretation, Superman is the creation of Clark Kent. I tend to stick with the more recent idea that they're both equally truthful parts of the same guy who carries himself differently depending upon the situation he's in. As a reporter in Metropolis, he's a much more mild-mannered guy because he's a journalist who doesn't believe he should be part of the story. As Superman, he's much more assertive and conscious of setting a good example for others. Back home in Smallville or with Lois & Jon, we see a different kind of man than the one we see sitting at his desk at the Daily Planet or giving a speech in front of the Hall of Justice.

It's no different than us. I'm a teacher and I behave differently in front of my students than I do when I'm out with my friends or at home with my parents or wife. They're all me, but they are different aspects of me. Superman & Clark Kent are the same deal.

I think a part of him certainly is mild-mannered. The over-the-top clumsiness is a deception, definitely, but even that is grounded in his real feelings of being physically awkward in his youth due to his developing powers.

This all depends upon how you view the character, though. If you take the Bronze Age approach, Clark Kent is a creation of Kal-El. If you take the Post-Crisis interpretation, Superman is the creation of Clark Kent. I tend to stick with the more recent idea that they're both equally truthful parts of the same guy who carries himself differently depending upon the situation he's in. As a reporter in Metropolis, he's a much more mild-mannered guy because he's a journalist who doesn't believe he should be part of the story. As Superman, he's much more assertive and conscious of setting a good example for others. Back home in Smallville or with Lois & Jon, we see a different kind of man than the one we see sitting at his desk at the Daily Planet or giving a speech in front of the Hall of Justice.

It's no different than us. I'm a teacher and I behave differently in front of my students than I do when I'm out with my friends or at home with my parents or wife. They're all me, but they are different aspects of me. Superman & Clark Kent are the same deal.
    If we go by postcrisis there won't be much of a loss cause there wasn't a persona. superman was clark kent in tights. But, that ain't the case. Bendis specifically goes for precrisis stuff.And no, Clark kent isn't a creation of kal el-pre crisis history. The persona is. Clark kent is his earth identity.superman was the real kal el . In goldenage clark kent is his main identity. But he still had the persona. Superman was the real clark kent. So, the question still remains. For postcrisis guy, it isn't much of a loss.clark is nerdy, clumsy.. Etc guy. There wasn't an act. But,the others didn't. Clark kent the persona is an act. He isn't the guy that would get mocked by lois. He was the guy that winked at camera.in postcrisis, the former barely existed and thereby no existence of dynamic.
    So, what does bendis intends to do here. Does he Make the post crisis clark kent or precrisis clark kent, come out? If its precrisis then the persona will be gone. If its postcrisis, there isn't persona to go to begin with. Clark is entirely the guy that sits behind a desk.

If we go by postcrisis there won't be much of a loss cause there wasn't a persona. superman was clark kent in tights. But, that ain't the case. Bendis specifically goes for precrisis stuff.And no, Clark kent isn't a creation of kal el-pre crisis history. The persona is. Clark kent is his earth identity.superman was the real kal el . In goldenage clark kent is his main identity. But he still had the persona. Superman was the real clark kent. So, the question still remains. For postcrisis guy, it isn't much of a loss.clark is nerdy, clumsy.. Etc guy. There wasn't an act. But,the others didn't. Clark kent the persona is an act. He isn't the guy that would get mocked by lois. He was the guy that winked at camera.in postcrisis, the former barely existed and thereby no existence of dynamic.
    So, what does bendis intends to do here. Does he Make the post crisis clark kent or precrisis clark kent, come out? If its precrisis then the persona will be gone. If its postcrisis, there isn't persona to go to begin with. Clark is entirely the guy that sits behind a desk.
    When did Bendis state that his Superman was specifically pre-Crisis? In all the many Word Balloon interviews he's done, Bendis has been pretty clear that his Superman is pulling from all eras of the character.

As for the Bronze Age Superman, Elliot S. Maggin was the one who explicitly said that the Clark Kent we saw in Metropolis was Superman's "favorite creation". While I think that worked for that particular incarnation of the character, I don't think that's necessarily the approach Bendis is taking, just as he's not using Byrne's idea either.

When did Bendis state that his Superman was specifically pre-Crisis? In all the many Word Balloon interviews he's done, Bendis has been pretty clear that his Superman is pulling from all eras of the character.

As for the Bronze Age Superman, Elliot S. Maggin was the one who explicitly said that the Clark Kent we saw in Metropolis was Superman's "favorite creation". While I think that worked for that particular incarnation of the character, I don't think that's necessarily the approach Bendis is taking, just as he's not using Byrne's idea either.
    Bendis is definitely more a fan of the Pre-Crisis weirdness of the character as opposed to the more toned down normality of Post Crisis. But he’s definitely drawing on all eras like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Fourteen years until Superman enters public domain. This might be the beginning of the end.

[Being intentionally melodramatic]
    I'll be shocked if Disney and Warner Brothers don't find a way to delay it even more through elaborate (and possibly shady) legal maneuvers.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Well, for one the way Bendis's clark is characterised in daily planet/action comics. Remember the poor clark thing when lois "left" with the kid. Bendis's Clark does the entire fumbling with words and being timid thing.That wouldn't be the case if postcrisis interpretation was in effect.
    Yes, maggin did state that. He was talking about the persona. It is his favourite creation. He called it clark kent because let's face it, what else do you call it?
    The way i see it there are three parts to superman puzzle

Clark kent/kal el - one of this is his major identity depending on Clark/kal's memories.
    The unnamed persona- this didn't exist post crisis. This guys is called "clark kent" causing confusion and many a times cynicism towards the character. (the whole parodying humanity thing)
    Superman-this is a title given to the real him that is clark or kal.

The unnamed persona is his favourite creation because (this is strictly my interpretation). have you ever watched naruto?Ok, the persona is like hinata to clark's naruto. The yin to the yang. at first clark, didn't think much of the persona. It was just a tool. But, then Clark begins to feels deep respect for the terrfied guy trying to do the right thing. It's like naruto's QUOTE "i thought you were gloomy, timid, terrified and basically completely wierd. But, i like people like you". Then it began to influence Clark's own real personality.This is how interpret the wierd dichotomy.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-15-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bendis is definitely more a fan of the Pre-Crisis weirdness of the character as opposed to the more toned down normality of Post Crisis. But he’s definitely drawing on all eras like you said.
    DC's approach in the last few years seems to be a combination of pre-Crisis and post-Crisis. Even Tomasi, as heavy handed with the family stuff as he was, pulled from some concepts and traits we'd consider to be more "pre-Crisis" than post-.

And Bendis most definitely takes from everything and mixes it together. It's probably why his Superman feels so honest and accurate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

For everyone who thinks secret identities are outdated, do you use your real name on a message board like this, or a screen name? Do you use a photo of yourself, or an avatar that is not you?

I think this whole idea breaks down one of the original core concepts that Superman is built around, and I don't have any enthusiasm for it. The stories we've seen in the past where bad things happen once people know Clark and Superman are the same person illustrate the problems inherent when an individual with powerful enemies like the ones that Superman has made over the years is no longer able to shield friends and family behind the anonymity of a secret identity. Who is Superman protecting? Literally every friend, family member and associate that has ever been connected with the Clark Kent persona. They'll all be targets now, if this story is told honestly. I'm not sure it will be.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If you try to pin the Bendis character to one era it falls apart pretty quickly. I feel a little lapsed myself with all this but I can say Bendis has improved with nuance and character dialogue so even if it might have seemed that way, the convo with Lois managed to take on and display the rounded character.

And very well said, andersonh.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The “danger” his friends and family are in is as contrived as anything else though. It’s ridiculous to say the Daily Planet is now a target because they now know Superman literally works there instead of just spending 90% of his apparent free time hanging out on the roof. Arguably the DP, Lois, Jimmy, Perry and the rest are safer now that the connection is explicit as opposed to assumed. As Bendis established early on the Invisible Mafia wouldn’t even say Lois’ name because of the perceived connection.