Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Bendis is using the real world excuses though, and that's what I'm referencing. Fair enough if you're against it wholesale. Though I heartily disagree that its the same ballpark as those two examples. The Lois reveal, that was a very big deal, definitely. It affected the main dynamic of the mythos. But there was plenty of the secret ID left to go around that it wasn't a betrayal of the character overall. But at the end of the day we're obviously going to be at a staunch impasse. I think its a part of the character at its core. I don't find it negotiable. You don't and we agree to disagree on that. I guess we're going to eventually find out what the wider audience feels soon enough. If it goes over, if people prove be overall okay with this being removed, I can accept that and just understand I'm just a product of a bygone era when it comes to the character and the whole thing's passed me by. I'm very skeptical this will be the case, but again we will see.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-15-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm 24 and I prefer secret identities. Am I not young enough :P?

I dunno about "online trolling" I think people understand that anonymity can be both a good and bad thing. I don't think young people have an issue buying into a secret identity if it's a core aspect of the character. Like, I don't see people complaining about Batman's secret identity and while the MCU makes a complete joke about it I think most young people know Spider-Man (be he white or black) has a secret identity. Even the movie Wonder Woman established Diana Prince.

I do find it interesting/concerning how for it WB corporate was.

Oh, and some of that Kara art .
    Sorry for the off-topic moment, but you're 24? Ever since I joined you sounded like someone older, like in the 30's 'cause of the way you write.

Guess that'll be the plot twist of my day lol.

Either way, I'm someone who prefers to see a story before judging, since even stories that sound bad can be good, but I'll admit, I'm biased against the idea of Supes revealing his secret identity, because the whole point of secret identity, is to give a hero their "normal" life that is unrelated to super heroing, and most times when a super hero loses 'em, they lose this "normal" part of their life, and Supes, one of the things I love about the character is that he's someone who likes having a normal life without saving the day, not saying that this means "Clark is who I am" crap, 'cause I prefer the interpretation of both Superman and Clark Kent being who he is, and losing his secret identity can possibly mean he's gonna lose his normal/human side, and, I'm not okay with that.

Still it's better to wait and see, but again, I'd be lying if I said I'm not biased.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I don't agree. Nothing is really forcing to take this choice. There are just many little details, but nothing definitive.
    Well, bendis gave jor el and his lies as one reason that's forcing clark. Another, is his son being gone. Clark is fairly not the laid back guy in rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, bendis gave jor el and his lies as one reason that's forcing clark. Another, is his son being gone. Clark is fairly not the laid back guy in rebirth.
    That's not how Bendis characterized it though. He's not being "forced" to do anything. He saw the ramifications of his father's lies and the lies of the circle and that's making him reevaluate things. Jon's leaving hasn't factored into it yet beyond just being an emotional blow. It's possible that it will - given that's a shoe that's been set to drop since Superman #7, but nothing so far has forced him. It's being presented as a decision that he's going to make himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That's not how Bendis characterized it though. He's not being "forced" to do anything. He saw the ramifications of his father's lies and the lies of the circle and that's making him reevaluate things. Jon's leaving hasn't factored into it yet beyond just being an emotional blow. It's possible that it will - given that's a shoe that's been set to drop since Superman #7, but nothing so far has forced him. It's being presented as a decision that he's going to make himself.
    Well, that's still doesn't feel like a natural next step.Just something that shook clark causing him to do something he normally wouldn't.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-15-2019 at 04:24 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Man.....Jimmy's great. He's just great. The idea that Superman would finally reveal his identity to him and Jimmy just laughs it off and immediately goes for the selfie is gold.

I also love the little details in the art and the special care Clark takes with telling people. Like Clark tells Perry in his office, but before that he checks his heart. Or how Superman tells Jimmy he's Clark Kent rather than Clark telling Jimmy he's Superman. Those are details that not ever creative team would bother with, but they super matter because it shows that these people were his close friends and family, and he's mindful of his relationship with each of them.

I also dig what seems to be Clark taking one last look over his desk, and Superman confidently doing his walk on air trick before flashing a refreshed smile and taking off, lighter than air, as if to symbolize the shedding of a weight. And Bendis wasn't lying when he said Reis was going IN on this issue. Good lord!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Thanks for anticipating what I would have answered.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    The truth is the exact opposite. Some villain wants to pick a fight with Superman? Put some pressure on his friends at the Planet or his wife. Some villain want revenge on Superman? Attack and kill his friends and associates. Need a hostage to keep Superman away? Why settle for Joe Random when you can go after Ron Troupe or Jimmy Olsen? Superman is a target, therefore everyone who is close to him is a target. That is literally the whole point of the Superman identity, to keep Clark's use of his abilities and the dangers that involves entirely separate from his personal life.

The Superman identity will literally become redundant once it's out in the open. It serves no further purpose.

If you don't think anonymity is useful, try asking people who get doxxed and suddenly have crazy protesters camped out on their private residence whether or not being unknown was a good thing.
    Between the numerous superheroes he is friends and allies with and the government figures that respect him, Superman would have a pretty easy time protecting his friends and family from supervillain attacks.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Thought some people want want to know this.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...88614111264769

Bendis: "i'm sending a lettered pdf of this to some of my peers tonight. especially those who might have issue with the choice. (those are the notes I need tonight) #superman18thetruth"

and

Bendis: "BTW- this went REALLY well. great notes from great people! all headed your way!"

THis is pretty dope to hear.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Thought some people want want to know this.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...88614111264769

Bendis: "i'm sending a lettered pdf of this to some of my peers tonight. especially those who might have issue with the choice. (those are the notes I need tonight) #superman18thetruth"

and

Bendis: "BTW- this went REALLY well. great notes from great people! all headed your way!"

THis is pretty dope to hear.
    Wow! He really tweeted an old govinda hindi movie with a superman song.Well, i didn't know that was this famous.