Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does Bendis really not like secret identities? I didn't think so before, but taking his work as a whole it kind of seems like he doesn't care for them much given how often he outs characters or just has every person or villain know who the hero really is.
    Well, Jessica Jones and Ironheart don't have secret identities. Ultimate Peter Parker was only outed when he was killed off though, and Miles's identity is still secret (though his parents know, plus Ganke and about a dozen superheroes).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I do agree with this.

Can't say I'm worked up about it, either. Firstly, I already quit reading for other reasons, and I'm not going to start reading again in the near future unless there are significant changes. Secondly, I don't think it'll last. Thirdly, we have that whole 5G thing coming up and I have a lot more unanswered questions on that timeline than about this.

But I do like secret identities. Even Wally and Diana's.

So, I already jumped off this ride, unlike you, but this, while not to my taste, would not make me do so. There are so many worse things that have already been done, IMO.
    I mean, I know that saying “I’ve been burned so much worse before” feels like faint praise. LOL.

But I guess that’s where I’m at. I survived the new 52 treating Lois Lane like absolute trash for 5 years. I survived Didio and Lee and so many people publicly throwing Lois and the marriage to the wolves, scapegoating her, treating her like yesterday’s garbage. It was one of the most sexist rollouts of a status quo change ever. I’m not saying I like this. I don’t. But I have my priorities straight and, at this juncture, so long as there isn’t some kind of extremely crappy sexism also about to pummel us....I can deal. Again, the bar is low. LOL.

Daredevil is a B-list character, the entire freaking Universe doesn't revolve around him.

This will last longer than Truth, but it isn't to be the status quo for anything close to fifteen years.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-solici...-january-2020/

The tribute to Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow is fire. Leviathan working with Lex has me kind of buggin'. Looks like Conner's gonna meet Clark. Shout outs to the president Superman confirm. So hype.

Superman: Heroes #1 is next level "exactly what I need from this sort of thing." I LOVE that we can just get these one-shots when big sh!t goes down. I love the idea of doing another one of these jam session issues focused on Superman's world. Loving that we're gonna get reactions from all around. And I love that issue 19 is the aftermath.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

The tribute to Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow is fire. Leviathan working with Lex has me kind of buggin'. Looks like Conner's gonna meet Clark. Shout outs to the president Superman confirm. So hype.

Superman: Heroes #1 is next level "exactly what I need from this sort of thing." I LOVE that we can just get these one-shots when big sh!t goes down. I love the idea of doing another one of these jam session issues focused on Superman's world. Loving that we're gonna get reactions from all around. And I love that issue 19 is the aftermath.
    God I need Matt Fraction to write a “To Have and To Hold” Lois and Clark issue. That Peter/MJ issue cemented those two as OTP for me, I need Fraction to do something similar while he’s still at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
    Eh, It'll be interesting for a few months. I'm sure the status quo/secret identity will be restored when the new Crisis DC has been teasing wraps up.
    There's going to be a reboot.

There's so much DC has to clean up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Nice to see Jody Houser as part of the team too. Great to have a female writer in there for once as a contributor.

They still felt the need to pull this same stunt in dc you on the nonmarried, childless Superman. Not everything revolves around the protagonist’s relationship status.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Nice to see Jody Houser as part of the team too. Great to have a female writer in there for once as a contributor.
    Perks of Eddie being out of the Super Office. She’s taking over Supergirl too which I’m looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    And there is absolutely nothing wrong with Superman being a father either unless you are operating under patriarchal storytelling standards which push the idea that powerful men must be alone to serve and care and/or you are operating under the equally flawed and crappy assumption like Frank Miller that superpowered heroes are too “godly” to live with mere mortals. The secret identity is extremely important but it had to be able to evolve so evolve it did.
    Not being a husband or father ≠ Being alone

Is your "feminism" so white and paper-thin that you can't imagine Superman living a patriarchy defying non-normative lifestyle that doesn't include a wife and biological kid? Putting those that want to queer Superman's life in the same box as those who want a loner unemotional Superman is gross.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm still not convinced this won't be undone when whatever the next "Crisis" is. Which we know they are planning for next year. This has a very Wonder Woman: Odyssey feel to it. They know a change is coming so they're just kind of throwing everything out for the time being running out the clock until the next reboot. And, yes, you could make the same argument about "Truth". I didn't see anything in the article that suggested that this is designed to be a permanent status quo. Other than other writers are already on board and working around it. For all we know this new "Crisis" could carry over well into 2021 giving them plenty of time work with this until Bendis decides he wants to work on Batman or something.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Hard to see how this is overlooking Truth when that's repeatedly acknowledged right in the announcement. No belief that this is genuinely the new status quo forever and ever, but if Bendis wants to keep it up for the remainder of his time with the character and maybe the next writer or two picks it up, I'm down with seeing what that looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out what reality Bendis lives in where the very start of his time on these books counts as "not stirring things up right away".
    He'll have over 40 Superman comics under his belt by the time this drops.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm still not convinced this won't be undone when whatever the next "Crisis" is. Which we know they are planning for next year. This has a very Wonder Woman: Odyssey feel to it. They know a change is coming so they're just kind of throwing everything out for the time being running out the clock until the next reboot. And, yes, you could make the same argument about "Truth". I didn't see anything in the article that suggested that this is designed to be a permanent status quo. Other than other writers are already on board and working around it. For all we know this new "Crisis" could carry over well into 2021 giving them plenty of time work with this until Bendis decides he wants to work on Batman or something.
    The next Crisis is too soon for them to abandon this plotline. After 5G winds down is when we can expect things to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Not being a husband or father ≠ Being alone

Is your "feminism" so white and paper-thin that you can't imagine Superman living a patriarchy defying non-normative lifestyle that doesn't include a wife and biological kid? Putting those that want to queer Superman's life in the same box as those who want a loner unemotional Superman is gross.
    Most of the people who didn't want Superman to be married with a child weren't interested in queering his life or felt that him not being married was defying patriarchy. They either hated Lois, thought married characters were boring, wanted Superman to be some superpowered cassanova or like Frank Miller wanted him to hook up with Wonder Woman. Nelliebly's comment was directed at those people and they even mention Frank Miller who certainly cannot be argued was interested in keeping Superman single or defying patriarchal norms.

I only see a chance of it being erased if this next Crisis isn't a lead in for 5G. But all indications are it is, and if so its not going anywhere. It would be part of the backbone of what 5G is trying to achieve (the classic character moving on to something else so some legacy can take over), so if the Crisis is the lead-in to that, then its not stopping there.

Most of the people who didn't want Superman to be married with a child weren't interested in queering his life or felt that him not being married was defying patriarchy. They either hated Lois, thought married characters were boring, wanted Superman to be some superpowered cassanova or like Frank Miller wanted him to hook up with Wonder Woman. Nelliebly's comment was directed at those people and they even mention Frank Miller who certainly cannot be argued was interested in keeping Superman single or defying patriarchal norms.
    I want it gone for none of those reasons. In just the marriage specific, I don't find ALL superhero marriages boring, but this one is. I liked the Peter/MJ marriage for instance, in all its imperfections. Once Lois and Clark got married though, it was just a largely Rockwellian life. Amped up to 11 with the kid and Tomasi's run in fact. But beyond that, I want it gone so Superman can go back to having to deal with his dual identity on his own, with no one to rely on. Is that a little lonely, a little sad? Yes. But its also depth, conflict, things that make a character interesting. The pitfalls that come with necessity of not being able to completely be himself in one way or another at all times adds so much. I think that makes for the most nuanced, intriguing version of the character. And that doesn't equal wanting him to be a brooding sadsack. Quite the opposite. That he is generally a happy, positive man who deals with his hardships is also part of his appeal. He can and should have relationships too, friends, try at romance. But all the same ones he has to keep at least somewhat at a distance. Can't completely let them in. Its the price he pays for being who he is. Being dour is not who he is nor what I want. But I do want emotional challenge in his very unique life. Phenomenal cosmic powers...itty bitty living space. To quote a famous genie.

Of course to those who disagree and look to the character for something else, to each their own.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-18-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El