Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Frank Cho Leaves "Wonder Woman"; Blames Greg Rucka's 'Political Agenda'

After only six issues, Frank Cho is walking away from "Wonder Woman," attributing his departure to Greg Rucka's feedback on his covers.

Full article here.

*enter Spider-Gwen "Outrage!" meme here*

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

The world needs more Frank Chos.

It is a shame since I liked Rucka's work on Punisher. Guess getting put on a "flagship" book went to his head.

I wouldn't necessarily say "censorship" and more "bizarrely nit-picky". The difference between the original and modified art is so minor i'm not even sure why they needed to change it.

My give a damn's busted Kevin T Brown's Avatar

There's a "don't get your panties in a wad" joke in there some place!

Fantastic Member

Am I the only one finding this both childish and prude

This is upsetting.
    I liked these variants.

I hope DC hires him for something else.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lolgaxe View Post
    The world needs more Frank Chos.

It is a shame since I liked Rucka's work on Punisher. Guess getting put on a "flagship" book went to his head.
    Sure, let's just take Frank's word for it. Sounds more like ego trip and pouting from Frank to me. Fake quote here but how I see it: "How DARE anyone make judgments on MY work. It always perfectly represents what I was hired for. How DARE they!!!!!!! Hurumph!!!!!!!!!!"

Just another view point.

Amazing Member

Frank Cho needs to go back to drawing Totally Awesome Hulk. He was perfect on that. Rucka has no right to censor anyone. Too many writers with political agendas these days. When you hire Cho to do variants or interiors, you know what you asking for. He draws women with curves. Nothing wrong with that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ducey13 View Post
    Frank Cho needs to go back to drawing Totally Awesome Hulk. He was perfect on that. Rucka has no right to censor anyone. Too many writers with political agendas these days. When you hire Cho to do variants or interiors, you know what you asking for. He draws women with curves. Nothing wrong with that.
    Absolutely agree here!!

Maybe the people upset about Cho's sometimes sexually charged art should look at the body types he draws for women. He's not stuck with just the usual big boobs and big butt art with both pointed the same way. He draws women of varying body types and unless the story calls for them to be unattractive, he shows beauty can come from a waif, a typical super woman body, and from the heavier set and muscular types. You'd think he'd be praised for showing beauty comes in all sizes but no. Heck, most artists draw Wonder Woman as if her strength is magical and independent of her musculature. Frank Cho's version looks like she realistically could throw down with Superman even!

Mighty Member

From Gail Simone's facebook:

"Watching a bunch of geniuses with zero experience working in comics and even less insider knowledge offer their astounding insights into what they are CERTAIN happened between a writer and and artist regarding a cover dispute.

Embarrassing. It’d take an hour to explain how that process goes and it wouldn’t change their brilliant insights anyway. Watching them completely mangle even the scant facts presented so far is both funny and sad.

Here, let me help. I’ve written 400 comics for DC. I know most of the people involved, I have written for that character extensively, and I had many, many disagreements with the direction of covers over the years (very little of it with the artists, I was usually arguing FOR cover concepts editorial didn’t like).

So, I actually DO know this process. And what do I know, what have I gleaned about this story, with that knowledge?
    Jack squat.

The story so far is one understandably upset artist who feels censored. While the writer is a good friend of mine, and I don’t know the artist personally, this is an unfortunate situation. I’m a fan of this artist (I’m not using names because this is not a singular event). I don’t like to see talented artists put in this position.

But beyond that, it all goes into a black well of details we don’t know. What these self-appointed experts are unaware of is, this stuff happens ALL THE TIME. Covers go past a LOT of eyes before approval. A-list writers are ROUTINELY asked for input on the covers. And a misstep between how a book is meant to be portrayed and the artist’s freedom is common. Beyond that, the writer has not spoken up, and DC WILL NOT speak up. They don’t talk about behind the scenes stuff and that’s good, in my opinion.

I get it, it’s fun to be outraged, and it’s fun to believe whatever narrative fits your belief system.

But if all you know is that one story, you don’t know much of anything. Neither do I.

Let’s all go ahead and make up weird theories, anyway, shall we?"

Personaly, im quiet fed up with everything becoming a clickbait fest infested with the opinions of morons. Drokk me if Frank Miller didnt forsee things to come with his dark knight strikes again...
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-15-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Fantastic Member

Just out of curiosity, if the variant covers are used to boost order numbers then why does the series writer have influence in that aspect of marketing of the book?

Then I saw the cover. That's it? A tiny bit of Wonder Woman's leotard is exposed. So, yeah, the swirl to alter the Cho art struck me as a bit irrational which is usually a sign of something personal -- beliefs or beef, who knows. However, if the image was moved for text, then, yeah, I get that.

Frank Cho's Wonder Woman fits him perfectly. She's powerful and eloquent. Cho can do "fine rendering" or strong and simple line work. I love that his Wonder Woman looks physically powerful like Darwyn Cooke's version and could squat a bus.
    Last edited by John Aston; 07-15-2016 at 12:12 PM.

All I know is I want DC to give him whatever he wants be it his own Wonder Woman book, Lots of covers, or what have you. He's a rare talent that I hope to see working at DC for years to come. He's the best get from Marvel in a very long time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    From Gail Simone's facebook:

"Watching a bunch of geniuses with zero experience working in comics and even less insider knowledge offer their astounding insights into what they are CERTAIN happened between a writer and and artist regarding a cover dispute.

Embarrassing. It’d take an hour to explain how that process goes and it wouldn’t change their brilliant insights anyway. Watching them completely mangle even the scant facts presented so far is both funny and sad.

Here, let me help. I’ve written 400 comics for DC. I know most of the people involved, I have written for that character extensively, and I had many, many disagreements with the direction of covers over the years (very little of it with the artists, I was usually arguing FOR cover concepts editorial didn’t like).

So, I actually DO know this process. And what do I know, what have I gleaned about this story, with that knowledge?
    Jack squat.

The story so far is one understandably upset artist who feels censored. While the writer is a good friend of mine, and I don’t know the artist personally, this is an unfortunate situation. I’m a fan of this artist (I’m not using names because this is not a singular event). I don’t like to see talented artists put in this position.

But beyond that, it all goes into a black well of details we don’t know. What these self-appointed experts are unaware of is, this stuff happens ALL THE TIME. Covers go past a LOT of eyes before approval. A-list writers are ROUTINELY asked for input on the covers. And a misstep between how a book is meant to be portrayed and the artist’s freedom is common. Beyond that, the writer has not spoken up, and DC WILL NOT speak up. They don’t talk about behind the scenes stuff and that’s good, in my opinion.

I get it, it’s fun to be outraged, and it’s fun to believe whatever narrative fits your belief system.

But if all you know is that one story, you don’t know much of anything. Neither do I.

Let’s all go ahead and make up weird theories, anyway, shall we?"
    I'm a too tempted to rewrite this into:

"Hey lets just pretend bad things that we can't change don't happen."