Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Wallace has been great in Priestroke and in Teen Titans. I don’t support this at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    It's just be more convoluted and screw up continuity more. Keep him a nephew - maybe change his middle name in next reboot if you're keeping Wally's dad Rudolph, but even that's unnecessary.
    Honestly, I don't know about retconning his origin, but maybe they should change his name. The Wally/Wallace thing is confusing. Say that he prefers to go by a new middle name instead of Wallace.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if they retcon him to another Earth I'd be pissed, full stop. to me it would read as them trying to placate whiny Caucasian American Wally West/Flash III fans who've already died down in the Wallace hate. it would be indicative of DC's inability to manage their characters and further evidence that they truly either don't know or don't care what fans of color want to see in comics. would it make me stop reading DC? probably not immediately but I would be one step closer to reading exclusively Marvel.

moving Wallace to another earth or changing his origin to another Earth would do nothing for the character except make him easier to be ignored or killed. the only thing DC needs to do with Wallace is give him opportunities to continue to grow and define his identity as a character, not just being Kid Flash. let him lead something, or play a central role in a major event, or get a solo mini or something but making him of another earth would be a superficial change that is liable to only do more harm than good (considering how DC's been moving) if it does anything for him at all.
    Believe me I do understand where you are coming from and I do agree with you completely, as an African American reader of comics I’m more annoyed with DC and how they treat their characters of different races. One of the main reasons I dropped out of DC comics was due to the events of Flashpoint and how they swept it under the rug and let Barry go with little to no punishment.

I mean both him and THawne deserves some punishment over the events of Flashpoint and its causes.

When I first heard of the African American Wally West I was a bit annoyed with how they tried it use him in the comics and when the original Wally came back it was complex further and it seems that it will be messed up further once Flash Forward ends unless We get a satisfy conclusions and one that doesn’t anger old school Wally fans any more than they already are.

Still I thought that given the Black President Superman from another Earth and how the rest of the Justice League members are black makes me think that MAYBE the Wallace West we’ve seen isn’t truthfully from the original DC Earth and is from any other Earth in the Multiverse, but was regress back to a kid and place on this Earth with its timeline. I know it’s far-fetch and a bit annoying, but given how DC has treated the Flash and Company as of late...it’s acceptable in a way its written.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You get rid of a mistake YOU caused in the first dang place.

We are seeing the Wallace, Duke, Jessica, Simon and so on show up because of ISSUES of bias, agenda and LOL Gators-politics being forced into comics.

None of them would be around if issues towards John, Wally and others were not there.
    THat is true and how DC just has TOO Many themed characters sharing the same space at once or twice via issues. One would think that Maybe the next reboot would THIN the HERD a bit more And we know they’ll do it either way.

Sure why don’t we put Barry in jail and kill every one aside from the main Leaguers. That seems like the perfect plan.

Thats not necessary what needs is STORIES behind him which is what he's been getting in TT. That's all you need with characters like him, build him up don't just toss him away.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I mean both him and THawne deserves some punishment over the events of Flashpoint and its causes.
    For me, the entire setup was unacceptable. A hero setting the past - one that had been warped by a villain - right should never, ever have had a negative impact. It should have been a triumphant victory and happy ending. And I love Barry, so making him a universe-destroyer was never going to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Why not retcon him from another Earth
    I think you have to answer why you would do this first.

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wallace has been great in Priestroke and in Teen Titans. I don’t support this at all.
    I disagree on Teen Titans. There he's just nerfed and used only to complain about everything going on around him. Despite all the issues he has with Damian he still answers to his agenda which he clearly doesn't support. He'd be better off just in Priest's hands since he's already talked wanting to write him more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Thats not necessary what needs is STORIES behind him which is what he's been getting in TT. That's all you need with characters like him, build him up don't just toss him away.
    I was never a fan of Damien Wayne and I’m still not to this day. The reason I mention this is because Wallace is in a similar situation and not everyone will be fooled by the writing of other writers for the same character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think you have to answer why you would do this first.
    Remember how Flash war ended and it was revealed by Wallace how he did not exist until now. That’s how my retcon idea starts...

I was never a fan of Damien Wayne and I’m still not to this day. The reason I mention this is because Wallace is in a similar situation and not everyone will be fooled by the writing of other writers for the same character.
    Not every character is for everybody; you just got to deal with it. Also, how are the writers “fooling” anyone by writing good stories that develop characters?

I'd rather they just erase the character. The moment they tried to pawn him off as the real Wally West for the New 52 I was never going to buy into his character. That was such a stupid idea. They can try and change him to just being another Wally West, but to me he will always be a failed idea where they tried to reboot the Wally West character in the New 52 to be this new version to match him closer to the Flash TV show. They should have just changed his name the moment they decided to move on from trying to pass him off as the "real" Wally West, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if they retcon him to another Earth I'd be pissed, full stop..
    I basically agree with lemon's whole post here. I'm not sure if I'd be pissed, probably just apathetic (the whole thing has been a mess since the start) but I think at this point in the game it's not anything we're going to see gains from.

For one thing, okay the idea that Wallace is from another earth *could* be a great way to untangle the Wally/Wallace thing, except we've got characters from the main earth who've known Wallace his whole life, and who know his parents. I feel like in the end, this would just complicate things more. "Oh, Wallace? Yeah he's my not-nephew; an alt-reality Flash who came to our world, in the past, and made his mother give birth to him on our world so he could learn how to be a hero all over again." I dunno, that's not impossible to wrap your head around or anything, but it's just weird, and not necessarily in a good way. I mean, if you're an alt-earth Flash and you want to learn from Barry....why not just ask?

I *do* like the idea of a Flash coming to the main earth to learn from Barry. There's a good idea in there. But I don't see it helping Wallace. Just seems like it'd be trying to remove him from Wally's position, which isn't really a problem anymore (not in the narrative structure anyway), and that's only gonna appease the fans still harboring a grudge, not the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Honestly, I don't know about retconning his origin, but maybe they should change his name. The Wally/Wallace thing is confusing. Say that he prefers to go by a new middle name instead of Wallace.
    At this point I think the name thing is the biggest issue.

Wallace's early days were.....a struggle, let's say. But he's developed into his own character with his own history, relationships, and fanbase. He's moved on from those early stumbles and become rather distinct, but his name makes it confusing. I think DC can get away with the Wally/Wallace split, but it's not exactly a great solution and it could still be easy to confuse people, especially if someone a little formal (like J'onn, for instance) is talking about them.

What're the Wallys' middle names? Rudolph? Just have him decide he wants to be called Rudy. Rudy West, cousin of Wally West. Rudy and Wally and Barry. It works, right? Sounds like a "Flash family" name.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

when the original Wally came back it was complex further and it seems that it will be messed up further once Flash Forward ends unless We get a satisfy conclusions and one that doesn’t anger old school Wally fans any more than they already are.
    Haven't read Flash Forward yet but the solution seems pretty simple to me.

Wallace and Wally are cousins, both named after the same relative (Iris has two brothers, who each named their kid after this man). Wally met Flash through Iris and, through a fluke of Speed Force foolishness, became a hero called Kid Flash, who later on became The Flash during the years Barry was dead. After Barry returned, he met Wallace, Iris' other nephew, (because Barry was such a positive influence on Wally, why not try it again?) and Wallace too gained powers from.....I wasn't reading the book at the time, so whatever. If the power origin (lab accident) is too close to Wally's, fudge the history slightly and say Wallace got powers in the Speed Force storm. And Wallace became the newest Kid Flash.

Wallace is Barry's new sidekick, Wally is (at least as of right now?) a multiverse traveling Flash. Bart is.....Bart; he just kinda does his own thing, but can be considered yet another cousin I suppose.

Given the historic importance of the West family (see: Waid's run) it's not really a stretch to say two of its members got powers, several years apart. The Allens and Wests are still running well into the future so Wallace and Wally both being speedsters isn't making the mythos any more ridiculous, its just taking advantage of concepts that've been around and under-used since the 90's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.