Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I hope HBO Max will be what DC needs

I'm very excited for HBO Max to come out for a lot of reasons, such as the animation backlog, the HBO content itself, the originals, and being able to finally cancel my Netflix subscription once and for all. Another reason is that DC content is a major part of the Max lineup, and they're going to be treated with the kind of care and respect they deserve. First, they renewed DC Universe's best show, Doom Patrol. Second, they announced two major shows I'm looking forward to with Green Lantern and Strange Adventures (and DC Super Hero High but whatever). Plus, I'm sure the other DC Universe shows will migrate over here sooner rather than later.

I think there's finally a good platform for DC content to be delivered. HBO is a brand associated with prestige, high budget storytelling that's something more than what you can find elsewhere and a place where there are no limits in terms of what you can create. HBO Max essentially applies that, but on a wide scale. I think in the past DC has suffered from not having a good platform to work with (among other things). For the big theatrical movies, they were ran by corporate suits who had no idea what they were doing. That ended up giving us a bunch of bad movies that tanked their planned cinematic universe. For television, we only had the CW, which is a teen drama channel known for things like Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries, and that's not ideal for DC television either. For animation, there was only Cartoon Network, and as we all know, they're gone through a lot of crap and only air the worst DC show: Teen Titans Go!. DC tried a little too soon to cut the middleman with their DC Universe app, and it's not doing so hot.

Now they have HBO Max, the platform that can finally give us a new level of quality and storytelling, with larger budgets and better creatives than what was possible before. And we can get far more of it at a time. Best of all, any property can shine because any IP is a potential goldmine. Before, any fan would have to wait forever in vain hoping for something they like to come into fruition as a movie in their now-failed DCEU. But instead, they can just focus on making good stuff, and hire the right creators to do it. This being HBO Max, they can also be as adult as needed, not having to strive for PG-13 or TV-14 because of content limits by the MPAA or network. They don't need to be TV-MA in every case, but the option is always there.

Here are just some things I'd like to see:
    • Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld (this high fantasy series would be a deep cut, and so different from everything else that it's worth doing)
    • Blue Beetle (retool the movie that was planned for the DCEU into this, as I think a Jaime show with proper effects would be amazing)
    • Hellblazer (an actual John Constantine show; get Matt Ryan but otherwise reboot everything and go full TV-MA with it)
    • New Gods (I know a movie has been talked about, but I think something like this is better suited for a big budget TV series as it's too epic in scale)
    • Superman (an HBO Max series that does Superman well could be what we need for rebuilding him to the public after the DCEU)
    • WildStorm (an R-rated comic universe with untapped potential for a service with no limits? Come on, make it happen!)

Again, I could do this all day, but you get the idea. This is also before getting into the huge potential there is for the animated side of things, something DC always excelled at.

What do you guys think? Do you think we finally have the best platform for DC content and could a new golden era be upon us?

Discuss.

"The Question" - it doesn't have to be as dark as "True Detective," and it would be more episodic than one mystery a year, but HBO can make a high-brow, gritty detective show that's more about humanity and asks the bigger questions other than "whodunit?

Fantastic Member

I would absolutely love a live action miniseries of The New Frontier. I doubt it would be feasible, but it would be so cool.

I was thinking about how Doom Patrol can really blow up on HBO Max. It's the type of show that can really light up the internet for being so different and so mature compared to other superhero shows.

The only reason it hasn't was because Doom Patrol was exclusive to a niche service, yet the amount of buzz it got even then by sheer word of mouth is incredible. Now it can be exposed to such a wide audience that it'll get a lot more people talking about it and it could become a legit phenomenon.

Anyone else thinking this?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "The Question" - it doesn't have to be as dark as "True Detective," and it would be more episodic than one mystery a year, but HBO can make a high-brow, gritty detective show that's more about humanity and asks the bigger questions other than "whodunit?
    A The Question series could awfully good.

A few things I think could be really interesting for various reasons:

Planetary
    Top Ten
    Secret Six
    Fables

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I was thinking about how Doom Patrol can really blow up on HBO Max. It's the type of show that can really light up the internet for being so different and so mature compared to other superhero shows.
    Maybe before HBO's Watchmen, but not after. Doom Patrol is wonderful but it doesn't hold a candle to Watchmen in terms of being different or mature.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Maybe before HBO's Watchmen, but not after. Doom Patrol is wonderful but it doesn't hold a candle to Watchmen in terms of being different or mature.
    What do you mean? You're comparing apples and oranges I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I don't know, DP's pretty different and out there. And it's certainly more fun than "Watchmen." Not everything has to measure up to that - DP's clearly on its own distinct path.

What do you mean? You're comparing apples and oranges I think.
    Well, sure. Comparing anything to Doom Patrol OR Watchmen (the comics and/or TV) would be apples to oranges because each property is so indiosyncratic. I was responding to your post about Doom Patrol being "different" and more "mature" than other superhero properties and lighting up the internet for the fact of it being so different and mature vis-a-vis other comic book adaptations. Of course all adaptations apply in those comparisons.

Before I saw Watchmen I would have completely agreed with you. But no superhero/comic book adaptation has been more "different" or "mature" than Watchmen IMO. Like I said, I LOVE Doom Patrol. I just think Watchmen has taken a lot of wind out of those two particular sails (different, mature), much as its source material did back in the mid-1980s.

It's easy to think of the relative maturity of comic books through the lens of pre-Watchmen and post-Watchmen. I think the HBO series was so good that the same is now true of superhero/comic adaptations. There's what was true before HBO's Watchmen and what will be true after. The comparison doesn't make Doom Patrol less great but it does make it less extraordinary.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 12-16-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know, DP's pretty different and out there. And it's certainly more fun than "Watchmen." Not everything has to measure up to that - DP's clearly on its own distinct path.
    Of course my posts are only my opinions but I wasn't addressing which might be more fun. (For me, Watchmen was also more fun, but that doesn't mean DP isn't incredibly fun. I have them as 1A and 1B.) I was only reacting to the idea that Doom Patrol would "light up the internet" for standing out from the entirety of other superhero programming. I would have agreed before Watchmen, not after.

While HBO Max may be good for DC's exposure, I highly doubt HBO Max will be interested in turning out regular content based on lesser known comics.
    If DC Comics was to end up on HBO Max, they would likely become the least prominent part of their service and not so much of a priority in a bigger pond.

On the bright side, the contract that gives HBO first television rights to the movies would no longer handicap them.
    Providing they make more movies.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    While HBO Max may be good for DC's exposure, I highly doubt HBO Max will be interested in turning out regular content based on lesser known comics.
    If DC Comics was to end up on HBO Max, they would likely become the least prominent part of their service and not so much of a priority in a bigger pond.

On the bright side, the contract that gives HBO first television rights to the movies would no longer handicap them.
    Providing they make more movies.
    How do you figure that? They have a big superhero farm RIGHT THERE, and superheroes are kind of en vogue. It's known that it's a lot easier to get TV shows made on streaming than it is on cable, that's part of why streaming took off the way it did. Also, HBO Max is doing lesser-known novel adaptations, which isn't far off from doing lesser-known superheroes when you think about it. Streamers need content, and it's about presenting new ideas to please audiences and keep them coming back.

How do you figure that? They have a big superhero farm RIGHT THERE, and superheroes are kind of en vogue. It's known that it's a lot easier to get TV shows made on streaming than it is on cable, that's part of why streaming took off the way it did. Also, HBO Max is doing lesser-known novel adaptations, which isn't far off from doing lesser-known superheroes when you think about it. Streamers need content, and it's about presenting new ideas to please audiences and keep them coming back.
    Looking at that list of original shows you posted in the other thread, the number of DC heroes projects are less than a fraction of what they're producing.
    4 titles out of... about 75...
    Small fish meet big pond.
    They just won't be a priority.

The original shows may be better quality, because they'll have a bigger budget to work with, but they'll undoubtedly be less frequent than they were on DCUniverse.
    They'll have more non-superhero stuff to fill up their library.

And while they'll have access to the DCEU films, unless things change, they still won't have the CW shows.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

I'm very excited for HBO Max to come out for a lot of reasons, such as the animation backlog, the HBO content itself, the originals, and being able to finally cancel my Netflix subscription once and for all. Another reason is that DC content is a major part of the Max lineup, and they're going to be treated with the kind of care and respect they deserve. First, they renewed DC Universe's best show, Doom Patrol. Second, they announced two major shows I'm looking forward to with Green Lantern and Strange Adventures (and DC Super Hero High but whatever). Plus, I'm sure the other DC Universe shows will migrate over here sooner rather than later.

I think there's finally a good platform for DC content to be delivered. HBO is a brand associated with prestige, high budget storytelling that's something more than what you can find elsewhere and a place where there are no limits in terms of what you can create. HBO Max essentially applies that, but on a wide scale. I think in the past DC has suffered from not having a good platform to work with (among other things). For the big theatrical movies, they were ran by corporate suits who had no idea what they were doing. That ended up giving us a bunch of bad movies that tanked their planned cinematic universe. For television, we only had the CW, which is a teen drama channel known for things like Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries, and that's not ideal for DC television either. For animation, there was only Cartoon Network, and as we all know, they're gone through a lot of crap and only air the worst DC show: Teen Titans Go!. DC tried a little too soon to cut the middleman with their DC Universe app, and it's not doing so hot.

Now they have HBO Max, the platform that can finally give us a new level of quality and storytelling, with larger budgets and better creatives than what was possible before. And we can get far more of it at a time. Best of all, any property can shine because any IP is a potential goldmine. Before, any fan would have to wait forever in vain hoping for something they like to come into fruition as a movie in their now-failed DCEU. But instead, they can just focus on making good stuff, and hire the right creators to do it. This being HBO Max, they can also be as adult as needed, not having to strive for PG-13 or TV-14 because of content limits by the MPAA or network. They don't need to be TV-MA in every case, but the option is always there.

Here are just some things I'd like to see:
    • Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld (this high fantasy series would be a deep cut, and so different from everything else that it's worth doing)
    • Blue Beetle (retool the movie that was planned for the DCEU into this, as I think a Jaime show with proper effects would be amazing)
    • Hellblazer (an actual John Constantine show; get Matt Ryan but otherwise reboot everything and go full TV-MA with it)
    • New Gods (I know a movie has been talked about, but I think something like this is better suited for a big budget TV series as it's too epic in scale)
    • Superman (an HBO Max series that does Superman well could be what we need for rebuilding him to the public after the DCEU)
    • WildStorm (an R-rated comic universe with untapped potential for a service with no limits? Come on, make it happen!)

Again, I could do this all day, but you get the idea. This is also before getting into the huge potential there is for the animated side of things, something DC always excelled at.

What do you guys think? Do you think we finally have the best platform for DC content and could a new golden era be upon us?

Discuss.
    Your so delusional if you think hbomax is gonna liberate dc entertainment , the only thing their gonna do is reinforce the level of CW type content