Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default What if Wallace West/new 52 Kid Flash/ Black Wally West was from another earth ?

Given the Flash’s ability to travel to multiple earths: What if the African American Wallace West/Kid Flash was from another Earth and came here regressed to relearn his Flash abilities before returning home ?

I mean to me this is crazy enough to make sense when given the Flash’s current abilities to mess up with those closest to him.

if they retcon him to another Earth I'd be pissed, full stop. to me it would read as them trying to placate whiny Caucasian American Wally West/Flash III fans who've already died down in the Wallace hate. it would be indicative of DC's inability to manage their characters and further evidence that they truly either don't know or don't care what fans of color want to see in comics. would it make me stop reading DC? probably not immediately but I would be one step closer to reading exclusively Marvel.

moving Wallace to another earth or changing his origin to another Earth would do nothing for the character except make him easier to be ignored or killed. the only thing DC needs to do with Wallace is give him opportunities to continue to grow and define his identity as a character, not just being Kid Flash. let him lead something, or play a central role in a major event, or get a solo mini or something but making him of another earth would be a superficial change that is liable to only do more harm than good (considering how DC's been moving) if it does anything for him at all.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-18-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if they retcon him to another Earth I'd be pissed, full stop. to me it would read as them trying to placate whiny Caucasian American Wally West/Flash III fans who've already died down in the Wallace hate. it would be indicative of DC's inability to manage their characters and further evidence that they truly either don't know or don't care what fans of color want to see in comics. would it make me stop reading DC? probably not immediately but I would be one step closer to reading exclusively Marvel.
    To be fair, Wallace himself is an example of DC being unable to manage their characters, considering his original purpose. Dude's situation is still a fuzzy mess that we all just kind of have to ignore for how weird it is.

It's just be more convoluted and screw up continuity more. Keep him a nephew - maybe change his middle name in next reboot if you're keeping Wally's dad Rudolph, but even that's unnecessary.

Also, I loathe age-regression - if accompanied by memory-regression, it's destroying the person that used to exist. Touched on here, though that's Bat-fam specific.

Thirdly - why would he need to go to another planet to relearn Flash abilities? Every first Flash on every world (and numerous other speedsters) learned just fine with no one to teach them. It doesn't make logical sense.

Then, of course, he'd want to, you know, return home. So he'd be removed from the main universe. Or still here and stuck away from loved ones.

To be fair, Wallace himself is an example of DC being unable to manage their characters, considering his original purpose. Dude's situation is still a fuzzy mess that we all just kind of have to ignore for how weird it is.
    This is true.

I agree with everything above.
    What I think Wallace really needs is character development and stories focused around him just like Wally and Bart had to make them such beloved characters. Wallace has been kicked out of the Flash books and punted around to different writers with no real goal in mind for what to do with him in such a short amount of time that the character just hasn't gotten room to breath. Rather than another retcon to try and hook people they need to move the character and his relationships with other characters forward.

Astonishing Member

What would be the point of that? What would be gained?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    It's just be more convoluted and screw up continuity more. Keep him a nephew - maybe change his middle name in next reboot if you're keeping Wally's dad Rudolph, but even that's unnecessary.

Also, I loathe age-regression - if accompanied by memory-regression, it's destroying the person that used to exist. Touched on here, though that's Bat-fam specific.

Thirdly - why would he need to go to another planet to relearn Flash abilities? Every first Flash on every world (and numerous other speedsters) learned just fine with no one to teach them. It doesn't make logical sense.

Then, of course, he'd want to, you know, return home. So he'd be removed from the main universe. Or still here and stuck away from loved ones.
    All I’m saying is that given his already messed origins and original purpose of creation: Why not retcon him from another Earth, but suffered Age regression and memory loss to fit this new Earth. I mean a similar thing is happening to Miles Morales over at Marvel in a sense.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What would be the point of that? What would be gained?
    You get rid of a mistake YOU caused in the first dang place.

We are seeing the Wallace, Duke, Jessica, Simon and so on show up because of ISSUES of bias, agenda and LOL Gators-politics being forced into comics.

None of them would be around if issues towards John, Wally and others were not there.

What if the African American Wallace West/Kid Flash was from another Earth and came here regressed to relearn his Flash abilities before returning home ?
    Isn't that Bart's story?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    All I’m saying is that given his already messed origins and original purpose of creation: Why not retcon him from another Earth, but suffered Age regression and memory loss to fit this new Earth. I mean a similar thing is happening to Miles Morales over at Marvel in a sense.
    Miles had his own BOOK and 4 years of building up since day one. Even with backlash.

Wallace can't even be well written in Flash book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Isn't that Bart's story?
    Bart is time travel mess and given the Flash history with that subject is another can of worms considering Bart’s origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Bart is time travel mess and given the Flash history with that subject is another can of worms considering Bart’s origins.
    That's true. I like Bart, but even from the beginning, his origin was very weak - his dad's conception (and Iris being alive in future) was very shoe-horned in.

Wallace is in a pickle because he's so hideously derivative and ALSO hideously mismanaged that he's just kind of "There" now. Having him on a team would be good but DC cant even do that right. Dude needs a niche

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    I agree with everything above.
    What I think Wallace really needs is character development and stories focused around him just like Wally and Bart had to make them such beloved characters. Wallace has been kicked out of the Flash books and punted around to different writers with no real goal in mind for what to do with him in such a short amount of time that the character just hasn't gotten room to breath. Rather than another retcon to try and hook people they need to move the character and his relationships with other characters forward.
    You can say this for any character. Heck, you can say this for Jenni and Iris and Jai (though I admit Jenni is more a Legion character than Flash), who all came before and all got screwed harder, and who all fit better and make more sense and whose origins can't be summed as "DC fucked up." Wallace leap frogged all of them, and Bart included really, all because anything else would be seen as racist when DC already racistly deleted every minority Flash character before him.
    Last edited by Dred; 10-18-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You get rid of a mistake YOU caused in the first dang place.
    Excuse me?

moving Wallace to another earth or changing his origin to another Earth would do nothing for the character except make him easier to be ignored or killed. the only thing DC needs to do with Wallace is give him opportunities to continue to grow and define his identity as a character, not just being Kid Flash. let him lead something, or play a central role in a major event, or get a solo mini or something but making him of another earth would be a superficial change that is liable to only do more harm than good (considering how DC's been moving) if it does anything for him at all.
    Yeah, basically this.

And I say it as a white dude. From Europe.