Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 143 of 143
  1. #136
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    3,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    His personality doesn't need to be changed or anything.
    Not what I'm talking about. Wally post-Rebirth is someone no one remembered, knew, or even missed. No milestone in his career is his anymore, his uniform sucks, his stories have been absorbed by his predecessor. Fix all of those things first, and then you think about what needs to be changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    But Wally West starring in "A FLASH SPINOFF" is, by necessity, going to be a different animal to Wally West starring in "THE FLASH".

    Whatever it is needs to be a worthwhile spin-off IP, with its own hook, not just "more of the same".
    As long as it's built from Wally west the Flash, not Wally West the time displaced sidekick that editorial tried to screw one too many times, again, fine. First you make Wally WALLY, than you go about mucking things.

    Nothing has been done, aside from a new costume. Everything has been on a story-by-story basis. No effort has been made to establish a long-term status quo or mission statement for the character.
    A lot has been done:

    - We had "Wally with a pace maker", which would be spun as "The Flash who can't run"
    - We had Wally remembering his lost family, which would be spun as "The sad Flash"
    - We had Wally killing a bunch of people and almost joining Suicide Squad, which would be spun as "The criminal Flash".
    - And now we have Wally with a big cosmic stick, which apparently will be spun as "The Flash who hops the multiverse, so no other character has to talk about him or interact with him ever".

    All of those (except for the last one) directions failed because they're crap, and they're built from the premise of "making the character suck to distinguish from Barry." That's what I'm saying; FIRST, you make Wally his former awesome self. You secure his status among the super-hero community, you give him back his relationships (as many as possible), a decent uniform, his most relevant feats. And THEN you think about setting him apart from his uncle.

    What has been done sop far, and what they apparently are trying to do, as I said, is crap and should be (and, thankfully, has been) treated as crap.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  2. #137
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Continuity has already been re-written to make Thawne the original Reverse-Flash again. Daniel West was a later Reverse-Flash.

    Daniel is Iris's brother and Wallace's father. What is the advantage in making something more complicated than it needs to be, especially for the sake of a character who is dead? What is the advantage of stacking fixes on top of fixes, when the current fix already functions?
    Having Daniel exist in the main universe already messed up the West family and erased their Iris’ sister and Wally’s cousins that existed before so this would only be correcting what was changed in the reboot. Also they can still have the new Wally exist in some capacity though I’d argue that it would be better if he had a different name and wasn’t related to the Wests of the main universe. So he could either be the son of Daniel who is from a different universe or just not a West. That would make a lot more sense than the current explanation we have.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  3. #138
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    And let's be honest - Wally needs to adapt and change too, otherwise he will become irrelevant. Every character needs to be as distinct as possible and have a well defined role in order to thrive.

    Some fans don't want to hear this. Back when Barry Allen returned there was a lot of teeth gnashing and harrumphing that Wally didn't need a new costume - "he has a slightly different belt, his eyes are green, nobody will be confused!"

    There's overlap between Barry and Wally. There's overlap between Wally and Wallace. Barry's role is clearly defined as The Flash, the series headliner. Wallace's role is clearly defined as Kid Flash, the sidekick. Wally is the character most in need of something new, something built to last.
    Wally had an ACTUAL FAMILY that made him different than Barry. Yet DC don’t want non Batman heroes to have their own families.

  4. #139
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    A lot has been done:

    - We had "Wally with a pace maker", which would be spun as "The Flash who can't run"
    - We had Wally remembering his lost family, which would be spun as "The sad Flash"
    - We had Wally killing a bunch of people and almost joining Suicide Squad, which would be spun as "The criminal Flash".
    - And now we have Wally with a big cosmic stick, which apparently will be spun as "The Flash who hops the multiverse, so no other character has to talk about him or interact with him ever".
    Most of the above are story arcs, not long term status quo. Wally's gone from story to story, but he's not been given a long term premise with any stability to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Having Daniel exist in the main universe already messed up the West family and erased their Iris’ sister and Wally’s cousins that existed before so this would only be correcting what was changed in the reboot. Also they can still have the new Wally exist in some capacity though I’d argue that it would be better if he had a different name and wasn’t related to the Wests of the main universe. So he could either be the son of Daniel who is from a different universe or just not a West. That would make a lot more sense than the current explanation we have.
    That's convoluted. What would be gained from doing that? How does that fit into Iris's history with Daniel and Wallace? Where does the character go from there? Why undo an element of Flash: Year One so soon after its publication?

  5. #140
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Wally had an ACTUAL FAMILY that made him different than Barry. Yet DC don’t want non Batman heroes to have their own families.
    But you want to separate him from his cousin?

  6. #141
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    3,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Most of the above are story arcs, not long term status quo. Wally's gone from story to story, but he's not been given a long term premise with any stability to it.
    All of those are failed premises. The sad, pace-maker ridden or criminal Flash would each have been a long term direction had reaction not been an universal "this is crap" from those who care. Not seeing this is naive.

    Which is thew point I"m trying to make here: from where he is now, nothing worthwhile can be done, because every attempt so far was based on the premise of "make him inferior". You have to first fix him, and then change stuff.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 10-23-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  7. #142
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Some would prefer to just erase the damn character and call it a day. Lol Then in the race war of Infinite Speedsters where speedsters are racing till infinity to save reality a hand will emerge from a speed force portal....

  8. #143
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    All of those are failed premises. The sad, pace-maker ridden or criminal Flash would each have been a long term direction had reaction not been an universal "this is crap" from those who care. Not seeing this is naive.
    His missing children aren't a long-term status quo. The moment they introduced that plot thread, they knew it was a story line with an endpoint. There's currently no indication that the Multiverse adventurer angle will extend beyond the mini-series (but we do know it will segue into the next DC event). The heart condition was an adversity to overcome, but it alone wasn't something that could define his role in the DC Universe.

    With Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash and others, we know what the status quo is. We know the foundations of those characters and those comics and what they're about. We know who they are, where they live, what they do, why they do it, what their abilities are, who their supporting cast is, how they relate to them. We know the high concept, the genre, the themes, the tone, the look, the feel. And when a creative team diverges from that status quo, we know it's a divergence, we can see what the twist is.

    Since being brought back, Wally has had stories, but he hasn't had foundation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •