Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default Any '5G' Superman lineup ideas?

Pretty sure 5G is bull, or at most an imprint, but assuming a timejump leading into Jon as Superman being the status quo *was* something that happened, any thoughts on what you'd like that lineup to look like?

Off the top of my head, I've thought for awhile I've love to see Milk Wars' Gerard Way/Steve Orlando team do a future Jon book; as far as I'm concerned Jon as Superman should capture the feeling Batman 666 did of the central iconography on speed and fired through a railgun, and I think they'd be a pair to get it there, with maybe Mikel Janin on art. And a Tom Taylor/Bruno Redono Action Comics as the more 'traditional' character-driven alternative. Have Bendis continue his run with a President Superman title showing what Clark's up to these days, a concept that meets pretty neatly at the nexus of what he's doing on Superman and Action right now; Doc Shaner should be done with Strange Adventures by the time this would hit, so he'd be ideal. With a rotating team on the requisite flashback classic Superman adventures title, or Jeff Loveness and Juan Feyerra if sticking to a single pair. And Magdalene Visaggio somewhere, whether on a third Jon book or a Conner Kent title of some kind since I recall she's a fan. And if a Superman/Batman title came out of this, put Tynion on it since he did Luke Fox - our rumored new Batman - really well in Detective and I'm sure he'd do fine with Jon.

Other ideas for who to put on these, or even directions if you feel like sharing? Ideas for who among Lois/Jimmy/Supergirl/etc. would also still merit a title in this theoretical brave new world?
    Buh-bye

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It would be wierd to have superman/batman with jon/luke when Damian's around.

My first idea is, don't do it.

On the lemon and lemonade si de of things, keep Clark active, don't kill or de power him, make it that he stop as Superman on Earth, leaving Jon to take care of things, while he focus on more cosmic adventures.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I sure hope it's an imprint and not the DCU as a whole. However, from what I've read and taking from Dan's comment "this is the DC Universe going forward, and Jon completely replaces Clark...not interested. We can have Jon working alongside Clark, whomever alongside Diana, Luke alongside Bruce...but completely instead of...not interested in the least. These latest rounds of announcements solidifies my opinion that Dan Didio has no clue what makes the DC Universe and it's characters so popular and to have had such longevity.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I posted this in the DC forum but it's applicable here...

I'm just not remotely interested in reading a Superman that isn't Clark Kent, a Batman that isn't Bruce Wayne, and/or a Wonder Woman that isn't Diana Prince.

Sorry, folks. Maybe that makes me part of the problem with comics right now, and maybe it'll be wildly successful despite my lack of interest. I saw Marvel try this a few years ago and it didn't work, so I have no reason to believe it'll work for DC. But if this is the direction they want to go in more power to them. I just won't be a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    My first idea is, don't do it.
    This. So much this.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

I'm just not remotely interested in reading a Superman that isn't Clark Kent, a Batman that isn't Bruce Wayne, and/or a Wonder Woman that isn't Diana Prince.

Sorry, folks. Maybe that makes me part of the problem with comics right now, and maybe it'll be wildly successful despite my lack of interest. I saw Marvel try this a few years ago and it didn't work, so I have no reason to believe it'll work for DC. But if this is the direction they want to go in more power to them. I just won't be a part of it.
    And a million times this.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

AMEN!! I agree with you!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I sure hope it's an imprint and not the DCU as a whole. However, from what I've read and taking from Dan's comment "this is the DC Universe going forward, and Jon completely replaces Clark...not interested. We can have Jon working alongside Clark, whomever alongside Diana, Luke alongside Bruce...but completely instead of...not interested in the least. These latest rounds of announcements solidifies my opinion that Dan Didio has no clue what makes the DC Universe and it's characters so popular and to have had such longevity.
    I've always thought Didio doesn't have a clue!! It always seems he's trying to replace the long running characters fans love with darker characters and to change the Dc universe into a dark universe!! Void of happiness, filled with nothing but pain and suffering!! That his idea of great characters and great storytelling!

Void of happiness, filled with nothing but pain and suffering!! That his idea of great characters and great storytelling!
    A lot of people seem to feel that way. Many say "dark" like it equals "good" when talking about shows or books or whatnot. And of the most highly praised (by fans or critics) comic book stories, how many are grim or involve killing off or torturing main characters? How many even have mostly happy endings after the suffering?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    A lot of people seem to feel that way. Many say "dark" like it equals "good" when talking about shows or books or whatnot. And of the most highly praised (by fans or critics) comic book stories, how many are grim or involve killing off or torturing main characters? How many even have mostly happy endings after the suffering?
    That a sad statement!! That torturing and killing the main characters is thought of as good!! Speaking for myself!! Most tv shows, movies and comics turn me off!! Because they focus on darkness and human suffering. I think it's ashame that the main focus of most comics in general!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 10-08-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    That a sad statement!! That torturing and killing the main characters is thought of as good!! Speaking for myself!! Most tv shows, movies and comics turn me off!! Because they focus on darkness and human suffering. I think it's ashame that the main focus of most comics in general!!
    I agree you. I just don't think we're the majority, at least in the comic-consuming group. There's plenty of non-grim fare for the casual viewer (oddly, murder mysteries seem to have quite a few - cozy mysteries have a long history), but for those, like myself, who love continuity and heroes and good v. evil (without slapstick or cheese - played straight), there seems less of it.

What role would Kara and Kon have in this brave new world? Would Kara be Superwoman?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I've been enjoying Bendis' stuff,but if this ends up being the new status quo going forward (Jon replacing his dad) ,I'm probably out. I like the concept of Jon and I've liked both incarnations of him (Rebirth and Bendis), but I'm sorry,he's not Super man and he'll never be, and I'm not interested in reading a Superman comic without Superman I.

The ONLY exception is if this 5G thing ends up its own thing set in the future and we still get a book or two following the real Superman ,or it's clear from the start this replacement story is a short term thing (like 2 years max). If this 5G stuff is going to be like the New 52 and ends up being a protracted several year thing...that will probably signal me finally tapping out for good. I'm about to turn 40 and honestly the only comics I buy are Superman books. If Superman's gone,I'm gone.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I've been enjoying Bendis' stuff,but if this ends up being the new status quo going forward (Jon replacing his dad) ,I'm probably out. I like the concept of Jon and I've liked both incarnations of him (Rebirth and Bendis), but I'm sorry,he's not Super man and he'll never be, and I'm not interested in reading a Superman comic without Superman I.

The ONLY exception is if this 5G thing ends up its own thing set in the future and we still get a book or two following the real Superman ,or it's clear from the start this replacement story is a short term thing (like 2 years max). If this 5G stuff is going to be like the New 52 and ends up being a protracted several year thing...that will probably signal me finally tapping out for good. I'm about to turn 40 and honestly the only comics I buy are Superman books. If Superman's gone,I'm gone.
    I’m seeing this as a pretty common consensus all over the forums. If the plan here is for DC to try to reach a new audience they better hope it works or that might be it.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

...so that's a 'no'.
    Buh-bye