Default Action Comics #1016 Spoilers & Discussion

Good issue. So the fact that Red Cloud can go toe to toe with Superman is what prompts the Invisible Mafia to come out of hiding. I can see the logic, although it doesn’t look like everyone within the Mafia might be on board with that. The guy briefing Leone at the end seemed incredibly nervous and wanted Red Cloud punishes it looks like. Wonder if the upcoming Invisible War will have people within the Mafia fighting? Naomi’s cameo was fun, if you enjoyed Season One you’ll enjoy it here. Bendis is still building up STAR Labs doing something but I’m not sure if it’s related to Leviathan or if it’s a completely separate plot thread.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've found the whole Invisible Empire stuff to be amongst the most satisfying additions during Bendis's run, so I'm really looking forward to reading how this all plays out. I also liked the framing device Bendis used to show the fight. One of the things that Bendis has really nailed has been how differently Superman both acts compared to other superheroes and how differently he's perceived by the people of Metropolis. He's not just any other costumed hero getting into yet another punch-up. Superman is unique and I'm continually impressed by how well Bendis and his artistic collaborators have gotten that across.

I liked Superman and Batman's reactions to Naomi a lot more than I like Naomi.

I know it's pointless to say this (but I will anyway!) regarding modern comic books, let alone anything written by Bendis, but the Naomi appearance *really* could have been contained to one issue, and we could have spent this issue getting more Invisible Mafia set up, leading into the upcoming war... but I digress.

I disliked this issue. This is Bendis cramming his new pet character down his readers' collective throats. I have zero interest in Naomi when I come to Action Comics just for Superman's stories. And I'm beyond tired of Leviathan. I hate events as a general rule, and this event sucks.

I liked the interaction between Superman, Batman and Naomi & her mom a lot. The fight with Red Cloud was nice as well.

The one thing I didn’t like was the way Loene seemed to do a complete 180 in the whole “invisible” thing. She’s had like a dozen people killed and blew up her own house to keep things secret. But cause Red Cloud went public she’s like “well I guess we’re the regular mafia now!” That seemed so out of left field and kinda odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I liked the interaction between Superman, Batman and Naomi & her mom a lot. The fight with Red Cloud was nice as well.

The one thing I didn’t like was the way Loene seemed to do a complete 180 in the whole “invisible” thing. She’s had like a dozen people killed and blew up her own house to keep things secret. But cause Red Cloud went public she’s like “well I guess we’re the regular mafia now!” That seemed so out of left field and kinda odd.
    I think it was less RC going public and more “damn I’ve got someone who can go toe to toe with Superman now, and she’s already been outed? Screw it, might as well strike while the iron is hot because Big Blue is about to be breathing down our necks anyway”. Least that’s how I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think it was less RC going public and more “damn I’ve got someone who can go toe to toe with Superman now, and she’s already been outed? Screw it, might as well strike while the iron is hot because Big Blue is about to be breathing down our necks anyway”. Least that’s how I saw it.
    Yes, that was also my vibe. Also, she knows that Leviathian is wreaking havoc left and right, so I suspect she kind of want to use it to strike now. If Superman's attention is divided, he won't be able to defend himself correctly.