Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ace. Can't go wrong with Winter Specials
    “Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.” -- Hellboy.
    “Dude, you’re embarrassing me in front of the Wizards.” -- Tony Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by timbolton View Post
    Ace. Can't go wrong with Winter Specials
    I'm really hoping the Sarah Jewell and Knights of Saint Hagan short stories are preludes to full miniseries of both.

Someone give me a quick refresher on the Knights. Sounds familiar, but I’m drawing a blank on where they are mentioned

Huh, I thought Seven Wives Club was this year's winter special in all but name.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Someone give me a quick refresher on the Knights. Sounds familiar, but I’m drawing a blank on where they are mentioned
    In the Chapel of Moloch and The Brides of Hell. If there are others, I can't think of them at the moment. Maybe I should do a quick Hell Notes on them prior to the release.

Ok, that’s starting to bring the memories back. Thanks!

Also a Hell Notes on them would be awesome. Though there doesn’t seem to be a ton to cover. Short article then?

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Ok, that’s starting to bring the memories back. Thanks!

Also a Hell Notes on them would be awesome. Though there doesn’t seem to be a ton to cover. Short article then?
    I think short articles are probably better for me at the moment. I've too many other commitments.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I'm really hoping the Sarah Jewell and Knights of Saint Hagan short stories are preludes to full miniseries of both.
    Yeah, that would be cool
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Found this year's Winter Special disappointing: the first story was fine, but the second and third, both lacking any Mignola (at least as credited) input, were not very entertaining, or (2nd story in particular) very coherent.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I enjoyed all 3 stories; the first was more classic Hellboy storytelling; spooky, funny, grounded in history, and more than a little sad. The second story centering around Sarah Jewell had more of a Dark Shadows/Hammer vibe going on with a nice Creepshow twist, which is always welcome. I was the most excited about the third story. I thought it was a solid sampler.

To me, the second and third stories weren't bad; but they were upstaged by the first, which was the strongest in the issue. I can't help but think that it might have been a more enjoyable issue if they had switched the story order around.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    To me, the second and third stories weren't bad; but they were upstaged by the first, which was the strongest in the issue. I can't help but think that it might have been a more enjoyable issue if they had switched the story order around.
    I'm inclined to agree.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Found this year's Winter Special disappointing: the first story was fine, but the second and third, both lacking any Mignola (at least as credited) input, were not very entertaining, or (2nd story in particular) very coherent.
    I'm in the same boat, while the first was the only real coherent story, I didn't care for the art at all which made it a bit of a downer and the others were little more than previews of what could be further stories which aren't very satisfying.