Default Get Out Star Rebooting Barney in new movie!

The British actor said in a statement Friday that he is "excited to explore this compelling modern-day hero and see if his message of 'I love you, you love me' can stand the test of time.
    "Barney was a ubiquitous figure in many of our childhoods, then he disappeared into the shadows, left misunderstood,” Kaluuya added.
    “Working with Daniel Kaluuya will enable us to take a completely new approach to Barney that will surprise audiences and subvert expectations,” added Mattel Films' Robbie Brenner. “The project will speak to the nostalgia of the brand in a way that will resonate with adults, while entertaining today’s kids.”
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...lm/4023897002/

I don't even know what to say.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Speaking as someone who was already well into adulthood when Barney was on, I can say that it doesn't feel great to know that you're even too old for nostalgia.

Anyway, why not? I look forward to the Barney Cinematic Universe and the big crossover film, Barney vs. The Teletubbies: A Kiss From Me To You.

This isn't a joke? I grew up watching Barney the dinosaur and still have a soft spot for the character (still have that childhood push toy today). That said, I'm kinda trying to wrap my head around how they would do something like this? Is it meant to bring the character to a new generation of the same demographic the original targeted or is it meant to be something for the nostalgia of older viewers, a la the recent Dora the Explorer movie?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think the most random thing is Daniel Kaluuya being involved with this .

They're gonna go the Riverdale route. Barney will be sexually active, have an eating disorder and an opioid problem.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    They're gonna go the Riverdale route. Barney will be sexually active, have an eating disorder and an opioid problem.
    Bolded...doesn't the latter really affect the former?

Update on darker barney movie! "i love you" song is now sung by a depressed and sad barney knowing the world hates him!

Really.

https://www.cbr.com/barney-live-acti...aniel-kaluuya/

The theatrical adaptation was announced back in 2019. No casting details or release date have been announced, and plot details are scarce. Producer David Carrico hopes it will "get 'I love you, you love me' stuck in heads everywhere, yet again."

Black Panther and Get Out's Daniel Kaluuya said at the time, "Barney was a ubiquitous figure in many of our childhoods, then he disappeared into the shadows, left misunderstood. We're excited to explore this compelling modern-day hero and see if his message of 'I love you, you love me' can stand the test of time."

"Working with Daniel Kaluuya will enable us to take a completely new approach to Barney that will surprise audiences and subvert expectations," Robbie Brenner, head of Mattel films, previously said.

This has got to be a viral marketing campaign for something weird, like that time Joaquin Phoenix went feral for three years to promote I’m Still Here.

Barney dies alone in the background while the rest of the cast gathers in the foreground and sings "Seasons of Love." While wearing Covid masks, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Update on darker barney movie! "i love you" song is now sung by a depressed and sad barney knowing the world hates him!

Really.

https://www.cbr.com/barney-live-acti...aniel-kaluuya/
    ...I really don't think this is needed (not Barney, but a dark and depressing take on Barney).

This reminds me of when they tried to make the Banana Splits into a horror movie a while back.

Really feels like the people making the movie have zero understanding of the source material.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)