Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well, it arrived today. It's good, but not amazing. The biggest disappointment was the pages: I was hoping for pages more like the omnibus format (in texture, if not size) and this is more like regular (if a little bit thicker) paper.

Meh.

And I actually like the recoloring for comics old enough to benefit from it - but this doesn't look different to me (but maybe it's the paper).
    Last edited by JAK; 08-27-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    While I know many are not fans of recoloring on older comics I would like to see at least the Man Of Steel six-issue mini series get some type of deluxe treatment but with recoloring done properly and maybe some stuff like sketches, early pitches and such.
    That would be awesome, honestly. I’d love to see all of Byrne’s sketches, plus the promotional artwork created for the mini, as well as Byrne’s “Unreasonable Demands” pitch. I also want to see Wolfman’s pitch for Lex, as it was his idea to go for coporate Lex. I wonder what Byrne would have come up with, if he didn’t go the mogul route.

What would also be awesome is, Byrne and company’s World of (insert Superman location here) set of mini-series being collected. They were somewhat integral to the main Byrne series as they provided background to the location and the people living in them. It’s amazing how much Byrne fleshed his worlds out.

Quote Originally Posted by asiansupes View Post
    That would be awesome, honestly. I’d love to see all of Byrne’s sketches, plus the promotional artwork created for the mini, as well as Byrne’s “Unreasonable Demands” pitch. I also want to see Wolfman’s pitch for Lex, as it was his idea to go for coporate Lex. I wonder what Byrne would have come up with, if he didn’t go the mogul route.

What would also be awesome is, Byrne and company’s World of (insert Superman location here) set of mini-series being collected. They were somewhat integral to the main Byrne series as they provided background to the location and the people living in them. It’s amazing how much Byrne fleshed his worlds out.
    This. ALL of this.

I also think that pictures and a proper "history/making of" book for the Triangle Era would be amazing.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just read the first issue of the original mini-series. I think it's the first time in 30 years. I am surprised how less jarring re-reading this book feels. So many of the ideas are just part of the fabric today. I am looking forward to the next issue. I do wish it were oversized pages!

Got mine a few days ago and I really, really love the format. Fits in perfectly in the collection and can be read without a bible-stand too!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    This. ALL of this.

I also think that pictures and a proper "history/making of" book for the Triangle Era would be amazing.
    I would love that. Most of the principles are still around and working, that I’d love to see a retrospective format on how the creative teams feel now, compared to how they felt at the time, following Byrne and making decisions that worked and back-fired at times. I’d love to hear from Stern, Weezie, and Kesel the most, as they brought an interesting set of supporting characters and fleshed out Metropolis in a major way. I’d love to get into Bog and Janke’s mindset of illustrating Supes as their style went from a bit more tight line to a bit more lively and loose. Jon is an artist that influenced me greatly.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I just read the first issue of the original mini-series. I think it's the first time in 30 years. I am surprised how less jarring re-reading this book feels. So many of the ideas are just part of the fabric today. I am looking forward to the next issue. I do wish it were oversized pages!
    It is amazing even with all the continuity tweaks and stuff how much of what Byrne and Wolfman established then is still part of the fabric of the character,for better or worse. Even the New 52 version which attempted to make a hard turn back to the precrisis version of Superman kept a lot of this era as part of the landscape. At this point Byrne's original MOS mini is still the spiritual touchstone from which everything that followed sprung from.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-16-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It is amazing even with all the continuity tweaks and stuff how much of what Byrne and Wolfman established then is still part of the fabric of the character,for better or worse. Even the New 52 version which attempted to make a hard turn back to the precrisis version of Superman kept a lot of this era as part of the landscape. At this point Byrne's original MOS mini is still the spiritual touchstone from which everything that followed sprung from.
    Definitely, i have read so many Superman Origins and Reboots since this book but this one still feels definitive.