Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Yeah don't think Tony has ever cheated on anyone ever.

To answer the OP, it was a risk because despite having been an important character in-universe, it was an expensive movie on a character that had no major mainstream popularity before (unlike Spider-Man and X-Men who had popular cartoons in the past) starring an actor who had previously had a prison stint due to drug use. That alone shows you how questionable it was.

But as we've seen, the rest was history. Choosing Iron Man to be the lynchpin of their cinematic universe is honestly one of the greatest decisions Marvel ever made. Now Iron Man is one of the most popular superheroes in the world. Would never have believed this 15 years ago
    I was going to mention some of these points, but you already did it. Very well in fact. Everything that has come after in the MCU has to pay homage to the first Iron Man movie and RDJ.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 10-19-2019 at 11:44 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Yeah, Pepper and Maria had sex with him when he was literally suffering from progressive brain damage that made him incapable of remembering that he'd had sex with one before having sex with the other. If Stark had been a woman and Pepper and Maria men, they'd be done as characters.

Anyway, Stark has generally been a serial monogamist, not a womanizer. Which is to say, the same as most Marvel heroes.
    Umm ye, I guess we can say consent is in question here. That’s just disturbing. He still don’t remember his intimate moment with pepper right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Bendis was writing Iron-Man in his Avengers run, and he was very Downey JR-esque.
    I don’t think very many people talk about Bendis’s Iron Man from that era, though.

And if we’re honest, Bendis writes a lot of characters same-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I don’t think very many people talk about Bendis’s Iron Man from that era, though.

And if we’re honest, Bendis writes a lot of characters same-y.
    Bendis can’t write.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Umm ye, I guess we can say consent is in question here. That’s just disturbing. He still don’t remember his intimate moment with pepper right?
    No, all his memories are from a backup he created before any of that happened. He doesn't know that he was sexually assaulted by two close friends when he was unable to give consent. I doubt Marvel has the courage to do a story about Stark dealing with the emotional repercussions of him being sexually assaulted and deeply betrayed, so that will likely never be mentioned again.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    No, all his memories are from a backup he created before any of that happened. He doesn't know that he was sexually assaulted by two close friends when he was unable to give consent. I doubt Marvel has the courage to do a story about Stark dealing with the emotional repercussions of him being sexually assaulted and deeply betrayed, so that will likely never be mentioned again.
    Especially with Tony Stark, Marvel treats him like a horndog. I never liked Pepper tbh, low-key liked Maria but after this .. idk how to feel about it.

Wasn’t he also sexually assaulted by Sunset? He was underage right?

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Especially with Tony Stark, Marvel treats him like a horndog. I never liked Pepper tbh, low-key liked Maria but after this .. idk how to feel about it.

Wasn’t he also sexually assaulted by Sunset? He was underage right?
    He was still in his right senses when him and Hill did it. He even made the first move and said it wasn't appropriate, but he couldn't even remember who Happy was when him and Pepper slept together.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    He was still in his right senses when him and Hill did it. He even made the first move and said it wasn't appropriate, but he couldn't even remember who Happy was when him and Pepper slept together.
    Yea, Pepper set him up. Tony wouldn’t do that his bro, at least Hills name is cleared cuz I actually like her.

Pepper, Imslep

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Iron man was a big gamble for several reasons, not just due to the character itself.

Iron man within the comics was fairly well known, let's not pretend otherwise as the character enjoyed a lot of popularity which only teetered off in the 90's due to the excess of the era. He was in a few cartoons, made some guest appearances in others, he had a few games, and toys. It was as marketed as any other property. It did not by any means begin with the MCU but it certainly took advantage of its success. However when it came to the character itself and the aforementioned excess of the X-men and Spider properties of the time, the Ultimate reboot being a dud, and the incompetency of most of what went into the then Civil War, it's hard to generate hype. You can't really bank on comic fans to support a film but when your built in audience is being told that your newest project is being led by a character you've spent the last decade + telling us is a piece of crap, you've made your own problem. Iron man was and is still not a hard sell to the General Audience, but he would've been for the comic readers of the time.

Robert Downey Jr was also a known drug abuser who a lot of people hadn't known that much about. He'd done work but he wasn't that well known. That's not all that big a problem but a potential relapse is a huge risk.

The FX for Iron man had also been in its infancy where they honestly felt the need to build full suits and that is going to be costly on top of CGI (that's also something they never did again). Superhero CGI wasn't particularly good of the time and Iron man is FX heavy. It turning out as well as it did was a miracle.

You also have to realize that the money going into this was going to make or break them. If they failed that's it. No Marvel Studios or at least as we know it today. Iron man isn't nearly as safe as Spider-man (at least at the time).
    Bingo! The big gamble wasn't only the popularity of the character(he was a known character outside of comics, thanks to 90s animated series and capcom games, but not a powerhouse), it was technical difficulties(CGI and practical effect) and the bad reputation of RDJ. Hell, even i, when i saw the trailer, i was "at best, it could be decent like the first Fantastic Four Film" and it was much, much better. Even after 11 years, i still think it's the most complete MCU film to date.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius