Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I remember Tomasi saying in an interview last year when someone asked why Wonder Woman wasn't as strong as Clark against Doomsday in the movie, and Tomasi said Superman was the first, implying he earned it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno, I think Clark got some pretty major moments in JLA. But then, everyone did. Morrison really did try to make sure everybody got their moment to shine, and aside from....maybe....Diana, I don't think he missed anyone. He was writing everyone at their most capable....which is also why characters sometime job to each other. Morrison has Clark move the moon (a huge feat for him in that era of post-Crisis) and wrestle a king angel to a standstill and lead the charge against Mageddon but also had Clark get sucker punched by Shazam and get blindsided by the Babylon protocols. And everyone else equally got some uneven treatment; Batman defeats white martians on his own, then gets taken down by one dude off panel.
    Ah... I realize I may be different and out of consensus on this. For me the why of his action and the how of the way he solves the issues both place ahead of feats. The team powerhouse is a cool role and the finale was great though, yeah. I guess I can admit anyway that mostly what I want ends up looking like too much Superman and sliding into the character imbalance that typically makes me like other team books less.

Wait, what famous encounter with a Superman cosplayer? I've never heard this story. Someone fill me in?
    https://www.newsarama.com/1335-all-s...uperman-1.html

It would be a much cooler story if it was JAK, though.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Oh, so you get to put in your positive perception (ie, your opinion), but put in a "let's not derail" for those who have a negative perception (ie opinions of people who disagree with you).
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Ah... I realize I may be different and out of consensus on this. For me the why of his action and the how of the way he solves the issues both place ahead of feats. The team powerhouse is a cool role and the finale was great though, yeah. I guess I can admit anyway that mostly what I want ends up looking like too much Superman and sliding into the character imbalance that typically makes me like other team books less.
    Generally I prefer character driven stuff over feats and plot points too. But in a League book? My only expectations as a reader (and that's just me) are: the biggest guns fighting stupid big threats that're worthy of such a team up, some decent back and forth dialogue, and good art. I basically look at the JLA with the same eyes as the MCU; were there big explosions, entertaining dialogue, and good costumes? Did everyone get written to their potential, without one overshadowing the other (in the grand scheme, not any individual page, because everyone needs their moment to be the boss). I'm pretty easy to satisfy with the League really, as long as the concepts are bigger than what I personally could dream up and no one gets shafted for anyone (Batgod) else.

So the only difference between us here is you just have higher standards.

Thanks for posting the link. That was a lot of fun to read about. Good timing too; I just finished studying a genocide for a history class and I needed something uplifting.

Yeah, it'd be cool if that had been JAK. And I know Morrison said he ran into the guy a few times afterwards. But I'm personally gonna go with the tulpa idea; Morrison was visited by the spirit of Superman, and was granted wisdom. Pretty sure that makes him a comic book saint.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Yup!

Generally I prefer character driven stuff over feats and plot points too. But in a League book? My only expectations as a reader (and that's just me) are: the biggest guns fighting stupid big threats that're worthy of such a team up, some decent back and forth dialogue, and good art. I basically look at the JLA with the same eyes as the MCU; were there big explosions, entertaining dialogue, and good costumes? Did everyone get written to their potential, without one overshadowing the other (in the grand scheme, not any individual page, because everyone needs their moment to be the boss). I'm pretty easy to satisfy with the League really, as long as the concepts are bigger than what I personally could dream up and no one gets shafted for anyone (Batgod) else.

So the only difference between us here is you just have higher standards.

Thanks for posting the link. That was a lot of fun to read about. Good timing too; I just finished studying a genocide for a history class and I needed something uplifting.

Yeah, it'd be cool if that had been JAK. And I know Morrison said he ran into the guy a few times afterwards. But I'm personally gonna go with the tulpa idea; Morrison was visited by the spirit of Superman, and was granted wisdom. Pretty sure that makes him a comic book saint.
    The tulpa thing is real. Superman definitely "exists" beyond the limits of our perception. The archetype exists and is active.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Aw, you guys're awesome. But no, it was not me, sadly. Either way though, I'm glad it worked!

Maybe someday, I'll meet Didio in costume - we fix him and we have a LOT fewer problems! To be fair: I have met him, but as Clark. It's not the same thing. lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Aw, you guys're awesome. But no, it was not me, sadly. Either way though, I'm glad it worked!

Maybe someday, I'll meet Didio in costume - we fix him and we have a LOT fewer problems! To be fair: I have met him, but as Clark. It's not the same thing. lol
    You do that, and I'll call *you* a comic book saint!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Please do that man, and while your at it, have him push warner bro's to give some more standalone animated series

Because he's the goddamn Superman, that's why.

BANNED

It comes down to what can Batman do when large entropy/dark matter waves spread all over the universe? Nothing except for dying. That's why Batman hasn't been able to play any significant role in any of the crises. In COIE he was on the sidelines. Same situation with Zero hour and he even dies in a time fissure ignominiously. In Identity Crisis he was turned into a victim(mind wiped) and didn't contribute anything towards the solving of the mystery even though it's a street level type of event where he had full scope of dominating the narrative. Then in Infinite Crisis he was treated like a rag doll by Mongul and got owned by Earth 2 Superman and again just sulks in his cave reconstructing the black box and then clearing up his own mess. In fact it's only under Morrison that he got any decent showing in one of the crises(Even then he spends most of the time as a helpless captive) when he uses his trauma as a weapon to take down his clones who can't bear it, inspires the mule to revolt and wounds Darkseid mortally before 'dying' showing even a god can be hurt by a mere human. Superman with all the powers he has at disposal naturally has fared better in such events though even he hasn't been able to do anything singlehandedly or been the singular lynchpin of a crisis until you guessed it Final Crisis. All the other Crises had him subservient to the cosmic characters who dominated the narrative like the Spectre, The Monitor etc. and of course he hasn't much of an arc in identity crisis it being a street level crisis. His showings are stronger in Infinite crisis and reach their zenith in Final Crisis. So actually Morrison has managed to do justice with both Superman and Batman at least in Final Crisis.
    Last edited by Desmark; 10-25-2019 at 02:38 PM.