Page 837 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 337737787827833834835836837838839840841847887937 ... LastLast
Results 12,541 to 12,555 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    maybe i'm missing something but.......what's the point of the travel band when the virus is already here?
    What's the point of quarantine after you show symptoms when you may have already infected several others? That's why testing is so important, which is another thing trump doesn't understand.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    The fact that so many people are pretty much saying they can't organize and push pressure on the government anymore now that Bernie isn't going to get the nomination shows that folks weren't in this for change and were just in it for the cult of personality
    Eh...I'd say that's perhaps half right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I'm really trying to figure out this travel ban politically Obviously it doesn't do anything for the thousands likely already affected in the US and won't effect the spread within the country. So who does this appeal to? I mean even Trumps dumb racist followers would be looking for the Asia or Africa (despite the lack of outbreaks) before Europe right, and even then the UK exemption means what exactly?

It's a policy that can't work, appeals to not even his hard core supporters, and is already contradictory.
    Europe is run by people critical of Trump, so it has some appeal to him and his worshippers.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Okay, what the hell was that?! How many drugs was he on?!

He’s probably heavily sedated as you just know he threw the temper tantrum of a lifetime right before this. He was forced to go on tv and contradict everything he’s been saying about the virus. As we all know, he only thinks about how things will effect him. Having to fake compassion is way too hard to do without a ton of sedatives.

Man, if I’m every having trouble sleeping I can just play this video and his monotone droning will put me right out. You can tell which words were underlined for him.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-11-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I'm really trying to figure out this travel ban politically Obviously it doesn't do anything for the thousands likely already affected in the US and won't effect the spread within the country. So who does this appeal to? I mean even Trumps dumb racist followers would be looking for the Asia or Africa (despite the lack of outbreaks) before Europe right, and even then the UK exemption means what exactly?

It's a policy that can't work, appeals to not even his hard core supporters, and is already contradictory.
    The only thing I can think of is when campaigning he can say i took drastic measures! I mean it is drastic, and late. And he will just not talk about the contradiction of playing it all off and not taking it remotely seriously until he HAD too and its so late in the game now.

Just yesterday Faux News was talking about this is a Hoax. He's been saying its going to clear up when its warm. Its warm in Australia and Tom freaking Hanks got it.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Jeezus. This guy is such a sociopath.

WE're so screwed.

Kemp is up to shenanigans again.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R), who was accused of winning office through voter suppression, is now facing similar accusations for canceling a state supreme court election that was scheduled for May 19.
    Kemp was the Secretary of State when he ran for governor in 2018, and his office was criticized for voter purges, closing or moving polling stations, and other decisions. And the governor’s recent actions led Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to cancel the upcoming supreme court election.
    Kemp told Raffensperger that he would fill the seat by appointment, even though the seat won’t be vacant for another nine months. And his appointee won’t have to stand for reelection until 2022.
    The two candidates who had planned to run for the seat have filed lawsuits to force Raffensperger to reopen the filing process. Former U.S. Rep. John Barrow (D) wanted to run for the seat being left vacant by Justice Keith Blackwell, whose term concludes at the end of the year. He called the canceling of the election “an unprecedented power grab” and “the ultimate act of voter suppression.”
    Rather than run for reelection, Blackwell announced he is leaving the court in November, weeks before the end of his term. (Columnist Bill Torpy pointed out that Blackwell would qualify for his 10-year state pension in November.)
    According to Kemp, Blackwell’s announcement means that he can fill the “vacant” seat and cancel the election. Rather than the voters deciding who will replace Blackwell, Kemp will choose.
    https://thesupremecourts.org/2020/03...XOTg4yMIjs8EWM

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Europe is run by people critical of Trump, so it has some appeal to him and his worshippers.
    I don’t think it is even that deep. I think Trump is trying to whitewash the ban so that when he bans travel in from majority non-white countries, he can say he did it to Europe first.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    While I do like the idea that the Democratic party can be accused of massive institutional sexism, that's likely exxaggerated as a problem for Hillary and Warren. Would a Henry Rodham with a similar resume (let's substitute being a senior adviser to Bill Clinton rather than first lady) or Eric Warren with the same resume and attitude as Elizabeth Warren really done better?
    In the primaries? Hell no. As usual, biases don't operate independently of one another. Being white male is the impediment to catching fire in the primaries. Being a minority or a woman makes you suffer harder for certain types of mistakes, but until you make them the fact that you're not a white male gives you a boost. Hillary Clinton had plenty of supporters who were swayed significantly by the idea of breaking the highest glass ceiling.

It's a plus if you check the box, and a minus if you play to stereotype too much, and a minus if you're lack any of the stereotypical qualities of the people of the boxes you check, and a plus to use just the right amount of the stereotype to accentuate your style. Social rules can get weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

One of the guest though suggests that Biden is addressing both racial and econonic issues and that's why he's more appealing to black voters and I disagree. Biden's mostly been running on " I can beat Trump."

Also, look at the comments section. You'll get an interesting look at what the black folks ( most of which at probably 30+) who watch Roland's show think.
    Those comments are eating him alive for supporting Biden over Bernie. Pretty cool to see, honestly.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Those comments are eating him alive for supporting Biden over Bernie. Pretty cool to see, honestly.
    At this part of the race the two groups should be unifying behind Biden, the fight's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    At this part of the race the two groups should be unifying behind Biden, the fight's over.
    Yeah, unity is needed at this point, definitely ... I just don't know if, "I hope you realize how wrong you were for supporting Sanders!" is going to make that happen.

I mean, what if it wasn't just a "cult of personality" thing? What if it wasn't people just blindly supporting Bernie out of some weird quasi-religious zeal for him, or irrational aversion to the other Dem candidates? What if millions supported Bernie because they thought his campaign seemed to represent the best chance of the issues they cared about becoming central to the political agenda of the country, and the world?

If that's the case ... Biden's campaign would need to address that, to bring all those voters on board.

... or maybe COVID-19 will wreak such havoc that Trump's re-election will just implode. That could happen too, I guess.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yeah, unity is needed at this point, definitely ... I just don't know if, "I hope you realize how wrong you were for supporting Sanders!" is going to make that happen.
    This is why Sanders should be wrapping this up themselves, had it been anyone else they'd have quit by now.

I mean, what if it wasn't just a "cult of personality" thing? What if it wasn't people just blindly supporting Bernie out of some weird quasi-religious zeal for him, or irrational aversion to the other Dem candidates? What if millions supported Bernie because they thought his campaign seemed to represent the best chance of the issues they cared about becoming central to the political agenda of the country, and the world?

If that's the case ... Biden's campaign would need to address that, to bring all those voters on board.

... or maybe COVID-19 will wreak such havoc that Trump's re-election will just implode. That could happen too, I guess.
    That's certainly true and Sanders is going to do the absolute minimum to help with this.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 03-11-2020 at 11:44 PM.