Page 938 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 4388388889289349359369379389399409419429489881038 ... LastLast
Results 14,056 to 14,070 of 17573
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Biden campaign has a solid informational video on the coronavirus and what we could do, punctuated by credentialed criticism of the Trump administration.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1241416531684331526
    So does Bernie Sanders. This is a time for them both to work together for the good of the country. I get that Biden may be the nominee, but don't **** on all ideas that make sense.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...es-2000-direct

Extraordinary Member

If Andrew Cuomo had the nom right now, there wouldn’t even be a question about this election

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    The issue is that the way we fund schools is by stripping schools of money if they test poorly and allow for students with the means to leave to get vouchers to go to “better” schools. Meanwhile, high-performing schools get excess money to spend on curriculum and the like and thus it gets dumped into chrome books and the like. The ideal situation would be to stop throwing money at successful schools, which are likely doing well because of high property taxes (the main revenue stream for public schools) anyway and start directing more state funds to schools that are underperforming to get the much-needed curriculum updates.
    It is a problem when the government gives additional resources to schools that don't need it. But it can also be a problem if the government just tries throwing more money at schools that don't know how to use it.

One potential mistake I do want to avoid making is looking at this in a one size fits all way, when what applies to one district may not apply elsewhere (rural Kentucky will have different needs than urban immigrant communities, etc.) There may certainly be funding problems in some states, but money won't help a school if the teachers are terrible, if there is no way to remove disruptive students or if standards are determined by people who have no experience with a particular age group.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    About Bloomberg?
    Yeah, **** that guy.
    Not Bloomberg, nobody likes him. The man got gutted on national TV to raucous applause, and paid a billion dollars for the privilege.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Authorities in Lagos said on Friday that hospitals had seen cases of chloroquine poisoning after Donald Trump touted the drug as a treatment against the coronavirus

Get that man off twitter. Get that monster out of the Oval Office. Get that party onto the trash heap of history. STAT.
    How long before cases of chloroquine poisoning turn up in the States? I fear it’s only a matter of time.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It is a problem when the government gives additional resources to schools that don't need it. But it can also be a problem if the government just tries throwing more money at schools that don't know how to use it.
    Most schools that are struggling do know how to use it. As they ask for assistance, they almost always say they want to use it for updated text books and to update their curriculum. They operating on years of being on the back foot as a result of funds being taken from them to go to religious charters or private schools.

One potential mistake I do want to avoid making is looking at this in a one size fits all way, when what applies to one district may not apply elsewhere (rural Kentucky will have different needs than urban immigrant communities, etc.) There may certainly be funding problems in some states, but money won't help a school if the teachers are terrible, if there is no way to remove disruptive students or if standards are determined by people who have no experience with a particular age group.
    This is all true, but curriculum experts and high level district employees should be the ones who understand these things and are holding the system, schools, and educators accountable for teaching to their population. Theoretically, these should be graduates with stellar degrees and a history of working within the system they are trying to hold accountable. Of course, this isn’t always true, but there isn’t a single system that yields perfect outcomes, but I think there are plenty that offer better ones.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Football specifically gets a lot of money because in many schools the football program actually generates money used for other sports. Athletic departments are often dependent on the football program to determine how much they can spend for the rest of the year.
    It's why so many smaller colleges play the role of cupcakes to go and get beaten up by larger schools. It's $300-400K that funds the rest of the athletics that year. Sucks for the players of those teams as it's a morale killer, but schools deliberately do it. Hell, UConn is going to take advantage of it as being THE cupcake for FBS schools that are beholden by conference standards to not play FCS programs now that they moved all their other programs back to the Big East and decided that football was not worth investing in for wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    One of the things I say I miss about the 80's. I mean Philly had it rockin when I went to school there. How times have changed. Not saying it's terrible, but so many of the things I had at Parkway and Sayre, and Heston, even Penn State, were things they don't have now. I graduated in 1992 and I don't think they send kids overseas anymore. They might but I don't know which schools do.

It's amazing that in order to pass the Home Ec class, not only did we have to show a gain in money, but we actively had to use the account and maintain 5% above the minimum PA gave us which as 25 bucks.

That's the thing I don't get about America. I've had an education here and in Japan, and the Japanese definitely don't skimp on Education. I went to Kanagawa Sohgoh High and they were the **** lol. I don't understand why schools just don't receive money based on body count, and not on some polticians biases liberal, or conservative.

Art makes life liveable. I remember going to plays, shows, historical tours, Overseas trips, etc. Just to learn and enjoy another country. We've seemed to progress and regress at the same time.
    It's not that schools get more money due to liberal/conservative bias per say... it's more an issue of schools getting their money from property tax. Wealthier neighborhoods obviously generate more property tax, thus generate more income for the school. Inherently, they system itself produces disparities. In many states the wealtiest districts spent two to three times what the poorest ones can spend per student. But a lot of states do try and off set that. Obviously more needs to be done.

BANNED

Gamestop Y'all gamestop... my

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's not that schools get more money due to liberal/conservative bias per say... it's more an issue of schools getting their money from property tax. Wealthier neighborhoods obviously generate more property tax, thus generate more income for the school. Inherently, they system itself produces disparities. In many states the wealtiest districts spent two to three times what the poorest ones can spend per student. But a lot of states do try and off set that. Obviously more needs to be done.
    That's true, I agree with that. I wish they treated all children the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Paying more for worse outcomes is definitely the American Way.

And yet many schools are underfunded and starving.
    There is undeniably a nationwide disparity between predominantly white and minority districts, but depending who you ask, white privilege doesn't exist.
    Closing your eyes when reality doesn't fit the nationalist narrative is also the American way
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    There is undeniably a nationwide disparity between predominantly white and minority districts, but depending who you ask, white privilege doesn't exist.
    Closing your eyes when reality doesn't fit the nationalist narrative is also the American way
    The reason that many white people don't think white privilege exists is that to a lot of us, it's invisible. For instance, when I walk around a convenience store deciding what snack to purchase, I don't have to also think about the store manager looking over my shoulder to make sure I'm not shoplifting. But I don't think of that as privilege. But to a Black man walking around that same convenience store, where his skin color might automatically make him suspicious to the store manager, it is an example of white privilege.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Though they won't say so out loud, certainly not in mixed company, some people think the disparity is justified because minorities are in fact inferior. The worst of them really think it's a biological difference, but even the less ignorant and outright, anachronistically racist may be aware there is no biological factor, but will instead think there is something culturally wrong -- not valuing education or something, absent fathers, whatever -- that explains why children in minority districts may struggle in comparison to their white counterparts.

To be clear, such a perspective is just as racist as believing in biological inferiority/superiority. To speak on the black community in particular, I honestly don't believe the core values of said community are fundamentally different from the larger, generalized American culture. It's certainly not as if African-American culture somehow developed independently from the wider US culture.

Poor communities exist in the US not because the people there are somehow inherently pathological, but because you need poor communities to exist, if other communities are going to accumulate impressive wealth. If some people are not being underpaid and overcharged, where exactly would that excess wealth come from?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    It's why so many smaller colleges play the role of cupcakes to go and get beaten up by larger schools. It's $300-400K that funds the rest of the athletics that year. Sucks for the players of those teams as it's a morale killer, but schools deliberately do it. Hell, UConn is going to take advantage of it as being THE cupcake for FBS schools that are beholden by conference standards to not play FCS programs now that they moved all their other programs back to the Big East and decided that football was not worth investing in for wins.
    The SWAC & MEAC basketball teams are perfect examples of this. They take those checks to fund the ENTIRE athletic department. It's why when you look at those school you see a LOT of 0-12 and losing records going into conference play (mainly the SWAC). Those schools tend to NOT play Non- conference games at home against D1 schools. They also tend to have the toughest Out of conference game schedules in the nation.

Now the MEAC records tend to be better then the SWAC because those schools are in places where basketball hotbeds in the East. And come tournament time-it's not a shock that one of those school beats a team in the NCAA, NIT, CBI or other tourneys.