Page 110 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 10601001061071081091101111121131141201602106101110 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 17573

Steve Bannon and U.S. ultra-conservatives take aim at Pope Francis

VATICAN CITY — Strolling through St. Peter’s Square, the heart of the Roman Catholic Church, Steve Bannon surveyed the enemy camp.

The populist political consultant has a new target in his crusade against “globalism” — Pope Francis.

“He’s the administrator of the church, and he’s also a politician,” said Bannon, a former adviser to President Donald Trump. “This is the problem. ... He’s constantly putting all the faults in the world on the populist nationalist movement.”
    Since becoming pope in 2013, Francis has expressed a consistent message on the type of “America First” nationalism championed by Bannon.

Two years ago, the pope cautioned against growing populism in Europe, warning it could lead to the election of leaders like Hitler.

He has called for compassion toward migrants, saying that fearing them "makes us crazy," as well as other marginalized groups including the poor and gay people. He has also defended diversity.

Bannon alleges that Francis has mismanaged numerous sex abuse scandals roiling the church, and says the pope is not treating the issue seriously enough.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Bannon and those dolts need to pick their battles better. Going up against perhaps THE most popular Pope since John Paul is a fool's errand, and one they're bound to lose. Also, the hypocrisy is strong here since conservatives, and, by extension, the GOP ignore the issue of sex abuse in their party almost completely, what with all the scandals Republicans have been involved in over the years.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Summary of the first 2 hours of the impeachment hearing:

-Lt. Col. Vindman is extremely likable. He has detailed a meeting that Sondland was pushing for investigations into the Bidens so hard on Trump's behalf that John Bolton walked out in disgust, on top of his accounts of not just the "Do me a favor..." phone call, but that the White House kept editing his notes for the final transcript to claim that corruption was discussed (it wasn't), and kept editing out Burisma (which was definitely discussed).
    - Jennifer Williams is a lifelong Republican, worked for the Bush 43 White House, and now works for Pence. And she's confirming Vindman's account of the phone call.

-Schiff and Goldman are asking all the right questions to get the witness' previous testimony reiterated for public consumption.
    - Devin Nunes is alternating from tin-foil hat wearing conspiracies, to outright trying to embarrass the whistleblower. It's ridiculous.
    - Steve Castor really, really sucks at trying to poke holes in the witnesses' testimony. He's only furthered their credibility, and frequently spends minutes chasing his tail in lines of questioning to try and discredit witnesses before giving up without any payoff.

No one in the GOP has attacked Vindman yet as to his family's emigration to the United States 40 years ago, or his Ukrainian birth.

YET...
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

And, as if on cue, Jim Jordan has decided to take the helm to attack Vindman, a Purple Heart winner.

And, Jordan is trying to out the whistleblower.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 11-19-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Astonishing Member

Senior Trump admin official Mina Chang resigns after embellishing resumé

WASHINGTON — Senior Trump administration official Mina Chang resigned from her job at the State Department two and a half hours after NBC News went to her spokesperson to ask about newly discovered false claims she had made about her charity work.

NBC News had previously reported that Chang, the deputy assistant secretary in the State Department's Bureau of Conflict and Stability Operations, had embellished her resume with misleading claims about her educational achievements and the scope of her nonprofit's work — even posting a fake cover of Time magazine with her face on it.

"It is essential that my resignation be seen as a protest and not as surrender because I will not surrender my commitment to serve, my fidelity to the truth, or my love of country," Chang wrote in her resignation letter to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. "Indeed, I intend to fight for those things as a citizen in the days and years to come."

Chang said she had been "unfairly maligned, unprotected by my superiors, and exposed to a media with an insatiable desire for gossip and scandal, genuine or otherwise."
    LOL this chick is hilarious. She mad her superiors didn't support her and say what? Fake News, her Photoshop Time cover is real in alternate reality America?

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    And, as if on cue, Jim Jordan has decided to take the helm to attack Vindman, a Purple Heart winner.

And, Jordan is trying to out the whistleblower.
    Follow up: Democratic Rep. Jim Himes of Connecticut just effectively shamed Jim Jordan and Devin Nunes for attacking the media and a Purple Heart winner, as well as calling out Trump for trying to intimidate both witnesses in Tweets by labeling them "NeverTrumpers".

Vindman said he would not describe himself "NeverTrumper", but more like "Never Partisan".

(This is not going well for the GOP.)

Planning on watching the reruns on CSpan when I have time later today.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

So far, Rep. Devin Nunes called Lt. Col Vindman "MISTER Vindman" and got called out for not recognizing his rank, and then Rep. Chris Stewart started giving Vindman s*** for wearing his service uniform to the hearing.

The GOP sure are winning all the veterans' votes today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Planning on watching the reruns on CSpan when I have time later today.
    C-Span is the best. No talking head and they label who everyone is. I like it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    So far, Rep. Devin Nunes called Lt. Col Vindman "MISTER Vindman" and got called out for not recognizing his rank, and then Rep. Chris Stewart started giving Vindman s*** for wearing his service uniform to the hearing.

The GOP sure are winning all the veterans' votes today.
    Isn't he active duty?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Isn't he active duty?
    Sure, but even if he's retired, you're still supposed to show respect by referring to him by the rank which he earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Sure, but even if he's retired, you're still supposed to show respect by referring to him by the rank which he earned.
    I'm referring to wearing the uniform. It's a requirement for him. The rank thing is just the GOP being assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised. Chick-fil-A can't afford to piss off the legions of intolerant assholes who support the chain because of their deplorable stand. Oh, well, go right ahead, I'll continue spending my fast food dollars elsewhere.
    Agreed.
    Their food may be ok, but their hatefull philosophy leaves a bitter after-taste.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Isn't he active duty?
    From what I can find online... YES. Lt. Col. Vindman is still active duty, and was last promoted in 2015.

Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney just read the Republicans on the committee the riot act for claiming Vindman has "dual loyalties", and ridiculing him for wearing his uniform to the hearing. Spontaneous applause at the end of his five mintues of time.

Holy f***, the Republicans are stepping on all the rakes.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 11-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

I just don't see how this can possibly play well with the American public at large. Even trump supporters know he lies all the time. Is it worth it attacking a decorated active duty officer to make trump smile at the tv? I mean really?