Page 650 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 1505506006406466476486496506516526536546607007501150 ... LastLast
Results 9,736 to 9,750 of 17573
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    By constantly making fun of him..(and incidentally I’d also be doubting his physical courage...as he most likely dodged military service and asking him where the wall is to establish the point he’s a blatant liar)..you increase the chances of him completely losing it in televised debates...and generally looking like a twerp.

It’s not the safest tactic. But everybody on these boards (much to my amazement) regards him as favourite to win whoever wins the Democratic nomination...so it’s maybe not the right time to play safe.
    I think a professional take down in that vein how Warren handled the entire stage is right on. She didn't get into name calling she just used actual facts and actual words and actions Bloomberg has taken in his career to great success in terms of taking the wind out of his sails metaphorically speaking.

There is plenty of ammunition to use but trump is bulletproof in that way.

He can stand up there and lie on the spot about verifiable truths and nothing will happen to him in terms of his voters. We all know he lies a lot. He lies about what he said and did and he will lie about what Democrats say and want. The voters you need to do something about it and vote him out already know.

Nothing anyone says on a debate stage against him is going to move his supporters

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think slinging mud with Trump is doomed to fail as he loves getting down in the dirt and tagging his opponents with nicknames and negative catchphrases. Don't take the bait doing so is a loser's game.
    The only thing I would say on a debate stage with him would be that I stopped those type of childish taunts back on the playground when I was in elementary school. Beyond that, yeah, the best recourse is to smile and just ignore it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The only thing I would say on a debate stage with him would be that I stopped those type of childish taunts back on the playground when I was in elementary school. Beyond that, yeah, the best recourse is to smile and just ignore it.
    Agreed, namecalling with Trump is useless and more often than not harms his opponent far more than it does him.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Tomorrow night will be one of the first real tests for Bernie. All the eyes are on him. All the daggers pointed at him. A debate hosted by BET and before the first state with a large black voting bloc.

Bernie has largely avoided mis-steps and traps, but he hasn't been challenged like he is likely to be tomorrow. I hope he is tested, for his own benefit, and I am curious to see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    When he's in insult mode, the best rebukes I've heard have been when people immediately ask him a hot-take like, "Do you support the Sunnis or Shiites?"

And then his answer is totally unabashed and not what his party thinks.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    When he's in insult mode, the best rebukes I've heard have been when people immediately ask him a hot-take like, "Do you support the Sunnis or Shiites?"

And then his answer is totally unabashed and not what his party thinks.
    That can work. The key is not losing one's cool and falling into the mudslinging trap. It is difficult not to get angry when constantly insulted and belitted but it is the best course of action when dealing with Buzz Saw Trump.

BANNED

It's not about calling Republicans names, it's about using whatever means necessary to accomplish our policy goals. For example, Trump's judicial appointments MUST be booted from their seats, through legal means or otherwise, unless we drag out all those sorry bastards kicking and screaming, every attempt at reform will die a quick death in the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's not about calling Republicans names, it's about using whatever means necessary to accomplish our policy goals. For example, Trump's judicial appointments MUST be booted from their seats, through legal means or otherwise, unless we drag out all those sorry bastards kicking and screaming, every attempt at reform will die a quick death in the courts.
    I'm curious what are these "whatever means necessary to accomplish our policy goals"? Do you forcibly retire them if a recall (where appropriate ) fails or other legal means fails? Say, that doesn't work - do you execute them or put them in prison?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Tomorrow night will be one of the first real tests for Bernie. All the eyes are on him. All the daggers pointed at him. A debate hosted by BET and before the first state with a large black voting bloc.

Bernie has largely avoided mis-steps and traps, but he hasn't been challenged like he is likely to be tomorrow. I hope he is tested, for his own benefit, and I am curious to see how it works out.
    Really Bernie should fake a state emergency in Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Only if one is to ignore all of the other ways in which they are different......like legislation that they vote for, judges they appoint, etc. What tactics candidates use are often probably a result of focus group data which informs the candidates what has worked in the past, even among people who say that they supposedly don't like said tactics.
    Except both some is such a big deal now people are getting suckered. What they need to do is be calm, cool and collected. State the facts, point out his failings but never in a mean spirited personal way like Trump does. Keep hammering his staff turnover, endless lies, corruption etc.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I think slinging mud with Trump is doomed to fail as he loves getting down in the dirt and tagging his opponents with nicknames and negative catchphrases. Don't take the bait doing so is a loser's game. The best strategy is to remain calm, explain your policies, and only hit back when need be. Trump is akin to General Grievous from Star Wars - all attack but no defense, he's a buzzsaw. Grievous lost when Obi-wan stonewalled his attacks until there was an opening.
    Agreed. Sinking to Trump’s level with insults and name calling is a fool’s errand because he can always sink lower than you. The only way to beat a bully is to be the adult, ignore the mudslinging, stick to the script, argue facts, policy, politics, the Constitution, things Trump is woefully inadequate at expressing without notes or a TelePrompTer.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

I'm curious what are these "whatever means necessary to accomplish our policy goals"? Do you forcibly retire them if a recall (where appropriate ) fails or other legal means fails? Say, that doesn't work - do you execute them or put them in prison?
    It's that old trolley problem once again, how many people will be harmed if we allow them to stay in office?

It's that old trolley problem once again, how many people will be harmed if we allow them to stay in office?
    You didn't answer my question. How far are you willing to go?

The separation of powers is fundamental to American Democracy anyone should think long and hard before they tamper with that balance. Often times the road to Hell is paved with the best of intentions. Today you are getting rid of judges you feel are "problematic", maybe in a few years you are putting people in prison for joking about your leadership or their policies because Free Speech is also "problematic".
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-24-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Agreed! It is unfortunate how many people still don't see that Elections have consequences that can be felt for generations.

There is no Democratic nominee, not even Bloomberg for chrissakes, who will do as much damage as Trump if he wins reelection. Not voting for the Democratic candidate means that someone is either a) OK with all of this, or b) feels that we haven't hit rock bottom yet and is under the grave misconception that once this President gets us there, EVERYONE will suddenly magically realize that the best way forward is by becoming the bestest most Progressive nation EVAR!
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this would work, either. What happens next time Republicans gain power again because some people just don't want to vote Democrat unless THEIR candidate is the nominee and they fall for the intellectually lazy fallacy that 'BoTh PaRtIeS aRe JuSt As BaD'? Do we need to ask if Republicans would hesitate to impeach or recall all of the Democratic appointed judges? Heck, they probably wouldn't stop until they had a completely conservative Supreme Court, citing 'Democrats did it first'!
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.