Page 87 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788899091971371875871087 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Luxemburg View Post
    Given the history of the CIA, it is more likely they are involved than not.

This is what they do.

Is there a chance they aren't involved? Sure, but there's no reason to assume they aren't.

Pinochet was an ambitious general, and he came to power in a CIA backed coup.
    Considering the disarray of the Trump administration, the current CIA just trying to keep it's head above water. Maybe in the past, but right now with the current incompetent leadership? I doubt it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Considering the disarray of the Trump administration, the current CIA just trying to keep it's head above water. Maybe in the past, but right now with the current incompetent leadership? I doubt it.
    The current CIA tried to stage a coup in Venezuela. The US was even calling Guaidó the rightful president of Venezuela.

And think of what you're saying. That Trump's incompetence is actually good for Latin America, because it prevents regime change.

Incompetence doesn't mean for a lack of trying. The hardcore right-wing Trump administration is far more likely to do regime change, just look at how they've been ramping up things with Iran.

Given the history of the CIA, it is more likely they are involved than not.

This is what they do.

Is there a chance they aren't involved? Sure, but there's no reason to assume they aren't.

Pinochet was an ambitious general, and he came to power in a CIA backed coup.
    I'm less convinced as the primary reason for most of the CIA backed coups was the fear of the Red Menace and other garbage of the Cold War, things that no longer apply.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm less convinced as the primary reason for most of the CIA backed coups was the fear of the Red Menace and other garbage of the Cold War, things that no longer apply.
    The Cold War ended decades ago, but the US has still been staging coups in other countries.

They aren't ousting leftist leaders because of some abstract fear of communism, but because those leaders were less likely to play ball with the US. They weren't going to just sit back and let the US plunder their resources.

In some cases, they didn't even have to be leftist.
    Last edited by Rosa Luxemburg; 11-11-2019 at 01:40 PM.

‘I watch Fox News every night’: Man says he stabbed Baby Trump balloon because it was ‘good vs. evil’

A man who allegedly stabbed a balloon figure protesting President Donald Trump says that he was fighting “evil.”

Over the weekend, 32-year-old Hoyt Deau Hutchinson was charged with felony first degree criminal mischief after he was seen slashing a “Baby Trump” balloon that activists were using to protest the president’s visit to Tuscaloosa for the LSU/Alabama football game.
    “I got so fired up when I rolled by the balloon and I rolled down the window and I said something to them and I figured they saw me,” he explained. “I figured only way I was going to get close enough to that balloon was to blend in. (I) went and bought me an Alabama shirt and walked up like I was walking to the game and like I was going to take a picture with [the Trump balloon].”
    “I was so fired up. I was shaking I was so mad,” Hutchinson added.

He went on to complain that “a lot of people my age don’t keep up with the news and politics.”

“I watch the news every night,” he insisted. “I watch Fox News every night. Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity are my favorite two anchors.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

If we didn't know this before, this just shows that the deep South is a lost cause. The fact that he equated Carlson and Hannity with newscasters tells all.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-11-2019 at 07:43 PM.

BANNED

If you're looking a for a perfect victim of a coup, you're never going to find one.

The most undemocratic BS thing he did was getting more votes than his opponent.
    His country voted to maintain term limits and he purposefully rigged a ruling to get back on the ballot. That is anti-democratic. Definitionally so.

I dont kbow if he then rigged the election or not but he never should have been on the ballot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    His country voted to maintain term limits and he purposefully rigged a ruling to get back on the ballot. That is anti-democratic. Definitionally so.

I dont kbow if he then rigged the election or not but he never should have been on the ballot.
    He did not rig the ruling, but all of that is of minuscule importance given the current situation.

There was a military coup, and everyone that was in the line of succession "resigned" until it was a right-winger that was next in line.

This is not some aberration for coups. The legitimacy of the head of state is challenged, and a coup takes place under the pretense of restoring democracy and order.

You know how when Trump does something monstrous, and people go "But her E-mails!' to mock the focus on Hillary's e-mails when she was running against a fascist? That sort of thing applies here to.

"But term limits" when there's been a military coup, some politicians arrested, others in hiding, their homes vandalized, and in some cases attacked in the streets.

Does this seem democratic to you?
    Last edited by Rosa Luxemburg; 11-11-2019 at 02:40 PM.

BANNED

You know you're on the right side when you're agreeing with this guy.

US President Donald Trump on Monday described the resignation of Mr Morales as "a significant moment for democracy in the Western Hemisphere".

In a statement, Mr Trump said the US "applauds the Bolivian people for demanding freedom and the Bolivian military for abiding by its oath to protect not just a single person, but Bolivia's constitution".
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50373722

You know you're on the right side when you're agreeing with this guy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50373722
    Trump also likes breathing air, and has as much interest in remembering Tiffany's birthday as I do. But thanks for the fallacy.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Trump also likes breathing air, and has as much interest in remembering Tiffany's birthday as I do. But thanks for the fallacy.
    Breathing air and remembering Tiffany's birthday aren't political.

Regime change is.

BANNED

So to be clear.

The US has been backing coups and doing regime change for decades.
    The US has backed past coups in Bolivia.
    A right-wing politician is now the interim President.
    The Trump administration openly supports the coup.

But the US is not involved this time. For some reason.

BANNED

He did not rig the ruling, but all of that is of minuscule importance given the current situation.

There was a military coup, and everyone that was in the line of succession "resigned" until it was a right-winger that was next in line.

This is not some aberration for coups. The legitimacy of the head of state is challenged, and a coup takes place under the pretense of restoring democracy and order.

You know how when Trump does something monstrous, and people go "But her E-mails!' to mock the focus on Hillary's e-mails when she was running against a fascist? That sort of thing applies here to.

"But term limits" when there's been a military coup, some politicians arrested, others in hiding, their homes vandalized, and in some cases attacked in the streets.

Does this seem democratic to you?
    The crisis that led to the coup IS directly related to public outcry against him seeking extra terms. A shady election night, legit or not it played out shady, was the icing on the cake. The public voted for him to be done, he manufactured a nonsense court decision to flout the will of the people.

Im not deflecting from a military coup, Im reading up on the timeline to this moment. However, dismissing it reveals your agenda. Others are revealing it as well. Fallacy, deflect, excuse, or whatever it takes to keep "your side" victimized. How very Trumpian of you.

BANNED

The crisis that led to the coup IS directly related to public outcry against him seeking extra terms. A shady election night, legit or not it played out shady, was the icing on the cake. The public voted for him to be done, he manufactured a nonsense court decision to flout the will of the people.

Im not deflecting from a military coup, Im reading up on the timeline to this moment. However, dismissing it reveals your agenda. Others are revealing it as well. Fallacy, deflect, excuse, or whatever it takes to keep "your side" victimized. How very Trumpian of you.
    Trump's siding with you, not me.

But whatever, I'm logging off before I get too heated.

Americans are fucking useless at holding their government accountable, and liberals will side with the right-wing rather than leftists.

I'm seeing more of this...

Dark does not mean deep.