Page 652 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 1525526026426486496506516526536546556566627027521152 ... LastLast
Results 9,766 to 9,780 of 17573

The Issues: The most comprehensive guide anywhere to the issues shaping the 2020 Democratic presidential primary. Search by candidate, issue or category.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Alberta is also where a group of anti-vax people hurt and killed a lot of children with measles.
    True, Canada is not as perfect as people outside think. Both the Three Prarie Provinces and Quebec want to separate (Alberta and Quebec constantly threaten to leave to get their own ways). Heck, even Newfoundland has explored the option of separation in recent years.

In New Brunswick the government almost closed all rural emergency services in hospitals (between 10:00 pm and 9:00 am), I kid you not. People would have been an hour and one-half drive (on average) by ambulance from the nearest ER. Even Toronto briefly ran out of hospital beds this summer due to cutbacks.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-24-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Being a dual citizen of Canada I can tell you the Candian System isn't perfect either. But don't take my word for it, ask our Native Peoples -

OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) arrest 10 demonstrators at Tyendinaga blockade site, charges pending

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tye...ades-1.5473490
    This reminds me of a quote from the youtube channel One Hit Wonderland with Todd In The Shadows talking about Beds Are Burning by Midnight Oil - he mentions how the US historically screwed over blacks and natives, and that Australia's natives ARE black so the government there was able to combine both prejudices and screw them over even more effectively.

And it's virtually impossible to discuss Midnight Oil without discussing Australian politics - that was pretty much the band's whole thing.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    This reminds me of a quote from the youtube channel One Hit Wonderland with Todd In The Shadows talking about Beds Are Burning by Midnight Oil - he mentions how the US historically screwed over blacks and natives, and that Australia's natives ARE black so the government there was able to combine both prejudices and screw them over even more effectively.

And it's virtually impossible to discuss Midnight Oil without discussing Australian politics - that was pretty much the band's whole thing.
    Speaking of our Prime Minister here is what one Native leader recently said about him and the latest crisis -

The Mohawk Council of Kahnawake put out a statement condemning the OPP's actions at Tyendinaga, and Trudeau's comments Friday.

"The MCK feels strongly that today's police actions would not have taken place had Prime Minister Trudeau not made his inflammatory statements on Friday, leaving no doubt about his planned course of action," says the statement.

We cannot state strongly enough our extreme disappointment in the absolute lack of good faith shown by a prime minister who continually expresses his government's priority is improving its relationship with Indigenous Peoples. What has happened over the past few days has, in fact, undone progress in building relations with Indigenous Peoples."

Something else you might all find interesting that plays heavily into this dispute -

Trudeau government appeals ruling on compensation to First Nations children

https://globalnews.ca/news/5991248/a...ldren-welfare/

Extraordinary Member

Being a dual citizen of Canada I can tell you the Candian System isn't perfect either. But don't take my word for it, ask our Native Peoples -

OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) arrest 10 demonstrators at Tyendinaga blockade site, charges pending

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tye...ades-1.5473490
    Honestly trust us, if we did that experiment for like 5 years, I can almost guarantee the South would turn into a third world hell hole that is in a constant economic depression and without any allies globally. It wouldn't last all that long. They'd be crawling back

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Ha! It's not a bad strategy, if he survives and we can call it anything better than a "bloodbath" or a "bludgeoning" it's a win for him.
    It really is a no win situation. Biden, Buttigieg, Bloomberg, and Buttigieg would be complete fools if they didn't find a way to turn every question into a Bernie hatefest. If whoever is preparing them isn't saying "go after Bernie, go after Bernie, go after Bernie" they should be hung. Healthcare? "We can't talk about healthcare without bringing up how crazy Medicare for All is". Education? "Bernie wants rich kids to get tax money to go to college". Foreign policy? ".... **** the Iraq War was really the right move and Bernie is a fool". I don't care anything. Scream Castro. Scream Communist. Scream Russia. Scream guns.

Because I'll tell you right now, this is the election for many of those people on stage. They won't be viable after Super Tuesday if things go the way they have been.

Also, the area around Hudson Bay is nicknamed the "Ozarks of Canada" and mostly Native people live there. Take Attawapiskat for example, the community has been in crisis for years upon years, and it is but one of many. So, this dispute I've posted about has deep roots in Canada's imperfect past and present. -

Attawapiskat declares state of emergency over water quality

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/a...ency-1.5204652

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

One of the Bloomberg campaign's reaction's to sites being vandalized has an appropriate response.

Vandalism is bad, but it's very tone deaf for the Bloomberg campaign to cry foul about an "Eat the Rich" sign on their office in Flint, Michigan of all places, especially given they had windows smashed in another place. They've also hacked inactive accounts and replied to the campaign account with generic responses.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The Issues: The most comprehensive guide anywhere to the issues shaping the 2020 Democratic presidential primary. Search by candidate, issue or category.
    I sent them a request to include Richard Ojeda. If they bothered to add Eric Swallwell and Deval Patrick, at least include the first dropout.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's not about calling Republicans names, it's about using whatever means necessary to accomplish our policy goals. For example, Trump's judicial appointments MUST be booted from their seats, through legal means or otherwise, unless we drag out all those sorry bastards kicking and screaming, every attempt at reform will die a quick death in the courts.
    What means are you referring to?

And what's the appropriate response to likely pushback? For example, the Supreme Court is going to be united on the idea that members shouldn't be impeached for shits and giggles.

You didn't answer my question. How far are you willing to go?

The separation of powers is fundamental to American Democracy anyone should think long and hard before they tamper with that balance. Often times the road to Hell is paved with the best of intentions. Today you are getting rid of judges you feel are "problematic", maybe in a few years you are putting people in prison for joking about your leadership or their policies because Free Speech is also "problematic".
    And then there's the prospect of how Donald Trump Jr might use that power a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how this would work, either. What happens next time Republicans gain power again because some people just don't want to vote Democrat unless THEIR candidate is the nominee and they fall for the intellectually lazy fallacy that 'BoTh PaRtIeS aRe JuSt As BaD'? Do we need to ask if Republicans would hesitate to impeach or recall all of the Democratic appointed judges? Heck, they probably wouldn't stop until they had a completely conservative Supreme Court, citing 'Democrats did it first'!
    Say what you will about McConnell, he used tools at his disposal. He arguably violated norms, but not laws.

****, I'm OK with letting the whole experiment fail! This system doesn't work for most people. Many are just too stupid to admit it because their tribal mentality always informs them that everything is always the fault of the other side. Let conservatives live with the government that they want! I'm all for becoming part of Canada at this point! There are stupid people everywhere, but the U.S. is the prime dumbf#%k breeding ground.

Attachment 93629
    So you would want Republicans to control most of the United States forever?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It just keeps coming and coming

Bernie Staffer Mocked Warren’s Looks, Pete’s Sexuality on Private Twitter Account

During the most recent presidential primary debate in Las Vegas, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) suggested that critiques of some of his most antagonistic online supporters are largely unfounded and unfair, proposing that some of the worst offenders might actually be Russian trolls on a mission to sow disunity in the field.

But the private Twitter account of a newly promoted campaign staffer indicates that despite his condemnation of online harassment, at least some of the Vermont senator’s most toxic support is coming from inside the house.

Using the account @perma_ben, Ben Mora, a regional field director for Sanders’ campaign based in Michigan, has attacked other Democrats in the field—as well as their family members, surrogates, journalists, and politically active celebrities—in deeply personal terms, mocking their physical appearance, gender, and sexuality, among other things.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Mora has tweeted, “looks like her name: pained, chunky, [and] confused origin/purpose.” Former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg “is what happens when the therapist botches the conversion,” and his husband, Chasten, Mora predicts, will be “busted for running a meth racket” in 10 years. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), a frequent subject of Mora’s private account, is called a “dumb Okie,” “an adult diaper fetishist” who “looks like ****” and who lied about having Native American ancestry “to get into Harvard.”

And now this

LEAKED AUDIO: Mike Bloomberg mocked Obama and said he would use drone strikes on enemies if elected in 2020

Yet another recording has emerged of former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg as the billionaire campaigns for the presidency.

“Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg said at a private event in 2016 that his presidential campaign platform would have been to “defend the banks” and also labeled the progressive movement and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, now a rival for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, as ‘scary,'” CNN reported Monday.

Spectacular Member

****, I'm OK with letting the whole experiment fail! This system doesn't work for most people. Many are just too stupid to admit it because their tribal mentality always informs them that everything is always the fault of the other side. Let conservatives live with the government that they want! I'm all for becoming part of Canada at this point! There are stupid people everywhere, but the U.S. is the prime dumbf#%k breeding ground.
    Fun fact: There is no proper separation of church and state in Canada. Ontario (one of the most liberal provinces, if not the most liberal) has public Catholic schools paid by tax dollars and Christianity runs deep there. Even the idea that millions of tax dollars shouldn't go directly into Catholic coffers is utterly foreign to the majority there.

#National @MorningConsult Post Nevada Poll

Among Blacks:
    Sanders 30%
    Biden 25%
    Bloomberg 25%
    Warren 5%
    Buttigieg 3%

Hispanic:
    Sanders 45%
    Bloomberg 16%
    Warren 14%
    Biden 9%
    Buttigieg 8%

Whites:
    Sanders 29%
    Bloomberg 17%
    Biden 15%
    Warren 13%
    Buttigieg 12%

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/s...45060927217666
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Fun fact: There is no proper separation of church and state in Canada. Ontario (one of the most liberal provinces, if not the most liberal) has public Catholic schools paid by tax dollars and Christianity runs deep there. Even the idea that millions of tax dollars shouldn't go directly into Catholic coffers is utterly foreign to the majority there.
    Yup, I can attest this is 100% true. My cousin attended such a school when she was growing up.