Page 333 of 602 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334335336337343383433 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,995 of 9028
  1. #4981
    Spectacular Member Zauriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    OK, I might be persuaded to agree with the guy's policies, but do you really want more Democrats in this Primary? Wouldn't his time be better spent supporting the front-runner whose opinions are closest to his? That's what Julian Castro is doing, and he at least had better name recognition than Delaney.
    Hillary Clinton had better name recognition than Barack Obama who won the democratic nomination.

    Gerald Ford had better name recognition than Jimmy Carter who won the presidential election

    George H.W. Bush had better name recognition than Bill Clinton who won the presidential election


    John Delaney could be the Dark Horse candidate that the DNC is looking for. Unless he has a trick up his sleeve, he could lose the race.

  2. #4982
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    7,887

    Default

    A co-worker today asked me what I thought of politics. Just politics in general. I told him that for me, politics is like washing the dishes. No one really wants to do it, but it has to get done. If you don't wash the dishes, sooner or later, you're eating off of vermin infested plates with rotten crusted utensils, and getting sick from it. No one really likes politics, but without it, you'll either have anarchy or dictatorship, and most people want those things even less than they want politics.

  3. #4983
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    7,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Hillary Clinton had better name recognition than Barack Obama who won the democratic nomination.

    Gerald Ford had better name recognition than Jimmy Carter who won the presidential election

    George H.W. Bush had better name recognition than Bill Clinton who won the presidential election


    John Delaney could be the Dark Horse candidate that the DNC is looking for. Unless he has a trick up his sleeve, he could lose the race.
    But Barack Obama's numbers, Jimmy Carter's numbers and Bill Clinton's numbers all steadily went up. John Delaney's numbers have hovered between 0% and 1%.

  4. #4984
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    OK, I might be persuaded to agree with the guy's policies, but do you really want more Democrats in this Primary? Wouldn't his time be better spent supporting the front-runner whose opinions are closest to his? That's what Julian Castro is doing, and he at least had better name recognition than Delaney.
    I'd be just fine with him, and some of the folks who have dropped out, being in until Iowa.

    As for the guy himself, I'd rather have him saying what he said in that interview.

    It's easily more constructive than challenging a guy to a push up contest.

  5. #4985
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Well, while nobody really "likes" taxes, realistically we all know they are a fact of life, and most of us are able to understand that common goods like roads and public education are paid for by them ... and as well, we know we can more easily afford to manage paying out slightly more in many small amounts in general, than we can just outright pay large amounts like school loans or large medical bills, when those are needed. I mean, I think most people can appreciate how much they would benefit, if the larger weight of these things could really be mitigated ... and I think they'd be willing to pay out more in taxes, to accomplish that.
    I'd like to think so too but -- again -- people didn't even show up to protect the gains in health care that we already had under Obama.



    It's hard for me to accept that suddenly there will be this new groundswell of voters who will support an even more expensive option.

    So, again, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-24-2020 at 01:09 AM.

  6. #4986
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I'd like to think so too but -- again -- people didn't even show up to protect the gains in health care that we already had under Obama.



    It's hard for me to accept that suddenly there will be this new groundswell of voters who will support an even more expensive option.

    So, again, I'll believe it when I see it.
    If you still have people being denied coverage, "Gains" might be a stretch.

    Certainly not something where folks are going to come running to the polling place to make sure that they can deep getting denied coverage.

    While I'm not going to say it's not any better, folks aren't supporting candidates running on "Medicare For All..." because for-profit insurance has been a great deal for the consumer.

  7. #4987
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you still have people being denied coverage, "Gains" might be a stretch.
    I know it was a gain because I "gained" affordable coverage after losing my job -- and health care -- due to injury, which was much better than paying -- or rather failing to pay -- $688 a month for COBRA while unemployed.

    It's only a "stretch" to you because you don't want to admit that "moderates" can make any "progress" on the issues you claim to care about.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-24-2020 at 02:29 AM.

  8. #4988
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I know it was a gain because I "gained" affordable coverage after losing my job -- and health care -- due to injury, which was much better than paying -- or rather failing to pay -- $688 a month for COBRA while unemployed.

    It's only a "stretch" to you because you don't want to admit that "moderates" can make any "progress" on the issues you claim to care about.
    And that is a single instance.

    On the other hand, I caught a woman on a PBS call in segment who was talking about that premiums for her family policy had more than doubled after the ACA was in place.

    Again...

    If it was a really "Night"/"Day" set of gains, "Medicare For All..." proposals would be spinning their wheels in the mud because a better private alternative was in place.

    Far as I can tell, that is not the case.

  9. #4989
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I know it was a gain because I "gained" affordable coverage after losing my job -- and health care -- due to injury, which was much better than paying -- or rather failing to pay -- $688 a month for COBRA while unemployed.

    I then took a job in management where I worked 10 hour days and often six days a week just so I could get full coverage again -- even then my first plan had a $400 copay on an X-Ray, so I had to work there another full year just to change my plan to one where I could actually afford the medical care I needed.


    It's only a "stretch" to you because you don't want to admit that "moderates" can make any "progress" on the issues you claim to care about.
    As for what's in blue...

    That is the case for "Medicare For All..."

  10. #4990
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    And that is a single instance.
    There are millions of other stories like mine out there -- it's not just a "single instance".

    Some people couldn't even get coverage due to preconditions prior to the ACA -- those are "gains" no matter how much you try to deny them.

    I'm not even going to bother to argue with you tonight -- you want to prove me wrong, then actually show up to vote for what you claim to support.

    Whether it's initiated by a "moderate" or a "progressive" doesn't matter, so long as progress is made.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-24-2020 at 02:38 AM.

  11. #4991
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,562

    Default

    Duplicate post.

  12. #4992
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    19,904

    Default

    Adam Schiff: ‘Dangerous’ Trump Must Be Removed Because He Won’t Put America First

    “The American people deserve a president they can count on to put their interests first,” the House impeachment manager argued at Trump’s Senate trial.

    **********

    Trump Impeachment Trial Features Bipartisan Laughs At Rudy Giuliani’s Expense

    Republican and Democratic senators laughed at a clip of a former Trump adviser saying that hiring the former New York mayor was a way to “impeach oneself.” Good to know there's SOMETHING Republicans and Democrats can be in unison about.

    **********

    U.S. Declines British Request To Extradite Diplomat’s Wife Who Killed Teen

    The State Department said it will not extradite Anne Sacoolas to the U.K. because she is allegedly protected by “diplomatic immunity” in the death of Harry Dunn. In short, this bitch is LITERALLY getting away with murder.

    **********

    Trump’s Doral Resort Spikes Its Room Rates Ahead Of His RNC Visit

    The doubling of rates may have increased taxpayer costs for housing Secret Service and other staff who traveled there ahead of the president’s trip. The Grifter-in-Chief continues fleecing the rubes. Big surprise, right?

    **********

    China Confirms 1st Coronavirus Death Outside Of Outbreak’s Epicenter

    The number of deaths from the virus has risen to 25 and at least one man from a province bordering Beijing has died after visiting Wuhan. How long before the virus expands beyond China?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  13. #4993
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    There are millions of other stories like mine out there -- it's not just a "single instance".

    Some people couldn't even get coverage due to preconditions prior to the ACA -- those are "gains" no matter how much you try to deny them.

    I'm not even going to bother to argue with you tonight -- you want to prove me wrong, then actually show up to vote for what you claim to support.
    There's this one that Martin Luther King Jr. said about a seat at a lunch counter not being worth much if you can't even afford a hamburger.

    If you aren't refusing to cover diabetes but it still makes sense for diabetics to go to another country to buy insulin? That you have an actual "Gain..." is up for debate.

  14. #4994
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    There's this one that Martin Luther King Jr. said about a seat at a lunch counter not being worth much if you can't even afford a hamburger.
    I could afford a hamburger -- what I couldn't afford was health care.

    That changed under the ACA.

    I have no idea why you waste so much time arguing against progress just because everything doesn't magically transform to your liking overnight.

    Progress takes time and hard work -- not dreams and ideals based on believing the majority of Americans will choose to pay more for better health care.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-24-2020 at 02:48 AM.

  15. #4995
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I could afford a hamburger -- what I couldn't afford was health care.

    That changed under the ACA.

    I have no idea why you waste so much time arguing against progress just because everything doesn't magically transform to your liking overnight.

    Progress takes time and hard work -- not dreams and ideals based on believing the majority of Americans will choose to pay more for better health care.
    We'd never have had social security if there hadn't been a Townsend movement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •