Page 1017 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 175179179671007101310141015101610171018101910201021102710671117 ... LastLast
Results 15,241 to 15,255 of 17573

Joe Rogan just said that he would vote for Trump over Biden. Why would anyone in the Democratic Party have ever touted this man’s endorsement?
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    "No one but me is worthy!"
    It’s as Lee Atwater, a key member of Reagan’s White House and campaign, said:

For a number of people, it isn’t about wanting to be lifted up. They don’t care to be lifted up if they know that there is no one beneath them. They don’t just want a shift to occur so the bottom rung of the ladder is moved up. They want to be the second step on a ladder, even if that rung has to be lower than it otherwise would be.
    Last edited by TheDarman; 04-04-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Fantastic Member

I often wonder how Trump can have any hope of winning reelection and then I come here and realize just how insane his opposition is.

Anyhow, I figured ya'll could use a break from the outrage du jour so I thought I'd mention a few major international developments that have been little discussed but will be of great importance down the line:

-Benjamin Netanyahu will remain Israel's PM after forming a unity govt. with Gantz.

-The EU's movement towards irrelevance continues unabated, hell it's probably accelerated. Britain officially leaving was already hurting them but since the virus hit it's gone full "every country for itself". They've suspended Schengen and their decision to let Italy burn has pretty much guaranteed a major Italian push towards leaving in the near future.

-Taiwan has been improving it's ties with the rest of the world, taking advantage of the anger against China and the WHO. Taiwan is barred from joining the WHO due to china's insistence that's it's just a break away province, incidentally they were one of the only countries not relying on the WHO for information and have probably done better than anybody else in fighting the virus.

-Saudi Arabia and Russia appear close to coming to an agreement about oil production but will need the US to also agree to cut production.

-The Federal Reserve is basically the world bank right now and is struggling to keep up with the demand for dollars. The dollar is pretty much guaranteed to remain the primary reserve currency for another generation or three.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Joe Rogan just said that he would vote for Trump over Biden. Why would anyone in the Democratic Party have ever touted this man’s endorsement?
    Because at points he acts same, then, for some inexplicable reasons, loses that ability to do so it seems. So my guess is that people want the Joe that is sane, not the nutty one voting for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Probably not. On the right, the pundits are the only ones upset that these programs exist at all. The rank and file right wing voter is upset that 'undeserving people' are getting benefits.

If you heard that last sentence as a dog whistle, you're probably correct.
    Harkening back to Ronald Reagan's infamous "Welfare Queens" narrative.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    I often wonder how Trump can have any hope of winning reelection and then I come here and realize just how insane his opposition is.
    That anyone could even remotely be aware of the things Trump has been saying daily and come to this conclusion defies all reason.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Anyhow, I figured ya'll could use a break from the outrage du jour so I thought I'd mention a few major international developments that have been little discussed but will be of great importance down the line:

-Benjamin Netanyahu will remain Israel's PM after forming a unity govt. with Gantz.

-The EU's movement towards irrelevance continues unabated, hell it's probably accelerated. Britain officially leaving was already hurting them but since the virus hit it's gone full "every country for itself". They've suspended Schengen and their decision to let Italy burn has pretty much guaranteed a major Italian push towards leaving in the near future.

-Taiwan has been improving it's ties with the rest of the world, taking advantage of the anger against China and the WHO. Taiwan is barred from joining the WHO due to china's insistence that's it's just a break away province, incidentally they were one of the only countries not relying on the WHO for information and have probably done better than anybody else in fighting the virus.

-Saudi Arabia and Russia appear close to coming to an agreement about oil production but will need the US to also agree to cut production.

-The Federal Reserve is basically the world bank right now and is struggling to keep up with the demand for dollars. The dollar is pretty much guaranteed to remain the primary reserve currency for another generation or three.
    Totally insane to think that giving people health care would be a more effective means of combating the virus than building a border wall. Also it's not surprising that right wing dickheads would be using the virus as cover for geopolitical ratfucking rather than trying to actually help people, unfortunately for them it's only going to cause them more headaches down the line when people figure out that none of their policies actually work.

The entire point of nominating Biden was that he was supposed to appeal to working class white voters, most of whom are pretty similar to Rogan politically, so if he's lost them too, why exactly are we nominating him again?
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 04-04-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Because if we can't have Medicare for all, I would rather have someone who destroys the system and kills more Americans, than someone who wants change building on Obamacare. Or something like that.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

1. Not gonna happen because of his trial and people are already exhausted from the whole voting process. Seems more than likely that Gantz will probably have to deal with it. Not to mention that he cant govern from jail.

2. EU is fine. Italy, for all it's screaming is not going anywhere because should it, it would probably break up into a bunch of little states again. And, given the situation they need the EUs help with the fall out from this. Everyone for themselves comes from lack of medical supplies because we have not had a pandemic in years. Wait, you want another 100 year war?

3. Taiwan will be fine. Hell Hong Kong and this may get people to leave China faster with manufacturing and bring some back here. It's never gonna connect back with China. Maybe they can push for being seen as independent of the two china rules.

4. Russia and SA oil may become irrelevant the further cars go with electricity and hydrogen, or steam. So big whip on them striking a deal. Two murders became buddies. No surprise.

5. Thus why I still think the US needs to bring back the bank Jefferson cut. It would help out.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Totally insane to think that giving people health care would be a more effective means of combating the virus than building a border wall. Also it's not surprising that right wing dickheads would be using the virus as cover for geopolitical ratfucking rather than trying to actually help people, unfortunately for them it's only going to cause them more headaches down the line when people figure out that none of their policies actually work.

The entire point of nominating Biden was that he was supposed to appeal to working class white voters, most of whom are pretty similar to Rogan politically, so if he's lost them too, why exactly are we nominating him again?
    Unpopular opinion: Universal healthcare in Italy, Spain and the UK did nothing to slow down the spread of the virus.

In a situation like this, government strategy and the quality of hospital care is essential. South Korea showed the world how effective early, wide spread testing can be. Germany has the lowest death rate because they have a lot of ICUs and have done a relatively good job of "firewalling" the elderly population.

So basically, it looks like politicizing a crisis when Bernie and his Bros are using the epidemic as an argument to bring M4A now. Whether you are for the concept or not, it is a non-sequitur as far as a global pandemic is concerned.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

A couple of weeks ago I posted about how Mitch McConnell has been asking some of the elderly judges to retire for the election.

Yesterday afternoon Trump nominated a McConnell ally and a former clerk to Justice Kavanaugh to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia

President Donald Trump is nominating a 37-year-old judge and former clerk to Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh to a seat on the powerful U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

Justin Walker of Kentucky has been on the federal bench less than six months and is one of the youngest federal judges in the country, with deep ties to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican who hailed Trump's nomination of "a rising Kentucky star, born and raised in Louisville, to refresh the second-most-important federal court in the country.''
    Some facts about Justin Walker

Trump nominated him last year for a federal judge appointment in Kentucky and he was given a "not qualified" rating from the American Bar Association. Now after serving as a Federal Judge for 6 months, they are "promoting" him to what is considered the "second most important federal court in the country" The first appointment appears to have been just a pit stop so that it could be added to his credentials for this higher court. When Chuck Schumer knocked his credentials last fall, he pointed out his meager experience on the Senate Floor last October: "“Mr. Walker is less than 10 years out of law school, has never tried a case, has never served as co-counsel, and it’s not clear how much of his 10 years has even been spent practicing law,''

Activist Christopher Kang wants an investigation to find out if the retiring judge was pressured into it by McConnell, who very openly mentioned getting judges to retire is one of his goals before the election. This will probably be hard to prove and get nowhere. But keep an eye out for any more upcoming retirements.

Yeah! We’re totally insane! We want health care for people and we want to ensure that the national crisis (caused in part by Trump’s refusal to act on intelligence reports from January—look at South Korea and how well they are doing) doesn’t derail the economy and cost people their lives separate from the direct impact of the virus.

Meanwhile, Trump has been ensuring that the federal stockpile, which is paid for by tax payers disproportionately from blue states, can be employed for states he needs for re-election while pleading with governors to say nice things about him that he can use in campaign ads in November. And that’s just in the last two weeks. But that isn’t insane.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Then why are people still voting for Republicans when 30 years of Reaganomocs has failed?

I doubt working class white voters are like Rogan. He is a libertarian atheist. Biden can peal away some white males and more white females from Trump. Do you think Bernie appeals to working class male voters?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Unpopular opinion: Universal healthcare in Italy, Spain and the UK did nothing to slow down the spread of the virus.

In a situation like this, government strategy and the quality of hospital care is essential. South Korea showed the world how effective early, wide spread testing can be. Germany has the lowest death rate because they have a lot of ICUs and have done a relatively good job of "firewalling" the elderly population.
    Having some sort of mix would work here for a start, and, lowering the cost of things by making it where CEOS can't be rewarded with higher pay than X would work. Also having workers have stock in the company and let them vote on options for the company would help.

Also great point about Earlier testing. Moon at least was on top of it, unlike Abe.

Because in order to win a presidential election you need to be able to persuade people who would consider voting for the other guy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets