Page 20 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430701205201020 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I didn't even take it to imply a direct connection, myself, and this is a HUGE botch by the NYT that I have to assume was done on purpose.
    The Times got the reporting from the Associated Press.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tu...ard-2019-10-24

The error comes from Hillary not saying the word Republicans, and describing a candidate as the favorite of Russians, right before she says Jill Stein is a Russian asset.

Plouffe: “So [Trump’s] gonna try and drive the people not to vote for him but just to say, ‘you know, you can’t vote for them either.’ And that seems to be, I think, to the extent that I can devine a strategy, their key strategy right now.”

Clinton: “Well, I think there’s gonna be two parts and I think it’s gonna be the same as 2016: ‘Don’t vote for the other guy. You don’t like me? Don’t vote for the other guy because the other guy is gonna do X, Y and Z or the other guy did such terrible things and I’m gonna show you in these, you know, flashing videos that appear and then disappear and they’re on the dark web, and nobody can find them, but you’re gonna see them and you’re gonna see that person do these horrible things.’

“They’re also gonna do third party again. And I’m not making any predictions but I think they’ve got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third party candidate. She’s the favorite of the Russians. They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far, and that’s assuming Jill Stein will give it up. Which she might not, ‘cause she’s also a Russian asset.”
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

House Unanimously Approves Bill to Make Animal Cruelty a Federal Offense

nimal cruelty would become a federal offense with a penalty of up to seven years in prison under a proposed expansion of an animal welfare law that won unanimous approval this week in the House of Representatives.

The Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act advanced through the House on Tuesday after a voice vote, which the law’s backers said they hoped would get the Senate to act soon on a companion bill.

Most of the animal cruelty laws on the books are at the state level, according to the Animal Legal Defense Fund.

The legislation would expand a 2010 law signed by President Barack Obama banning so-called crush videos that show animals being crushed, burned, drowned, suffocated, impaled or subjected to other forms of torture. In some of the videos, women with their faces hidden could be seen stamping on rabbits with spiked high heels.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

THIS is the thanks you get when you honorably serve your country in a foreign war:

Marine Corps vet who served in Iraq deported to El Salvador

Jose Segovia-Benitez, a 38-year-old Marine Corps combat veteran who served in Iraq, was deported to El Salvador - a country where he hasn't lived since he was a toddler - on Wednesday.

Segovia-Benitez's attorney Roy Petty told the Phoenix New Times that he didn't find out Segovia-Benitez had been deported until after he arrived for a planned meeting with his client at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility in Arizona where he was being held.

"Certainly, this is a surprise," he told the paper Wednesday. "ICE kept his deportation a secret. They kept it a secret from him, me, his other attorney, and they kept it a secret from his mother. It's not common practice."

"Generally, what ICE will do is they will notify the person so the person can make arrangements. They woke him up and put him on a plane," he continued.

An ICE spokeswoman confirmed Segovia-Benitez's deportation in a statement to The Hill on Wednesday.

"Mr. Segovia-Benitez was removed to his home country Oct. 23 in accordance with federal law and the policies and procedures of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement," she said.
    Segovia-Benitez served two tours in Iraq before he was honorably discharged in 2004, a year after he suffered a brain injury. The veteran also received a number of decorations for his service during his time in the military, according to NBC News.

But after he was discharged from the military, Segovia-Benitez began to self-medicate with alcohol, his family said, which led to trouble with authorities. He ended up serving time in prison for a variety of crimes, including assault with a deadly weapon and injuring a spouse, for which he received an eight-year prison sentence.

Segovia-Benitez's family members have said that while they do not condone his criminal actions, they believe the government failed to provide adequate care for him after he was discharged.

Brandee Dudzic, executive director of the group Repatriate our Patriots, told ABC News that Segovia-Benitez wasn't diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder until 2011, seven years after he was discharged from the military.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 10-24-2019 at 05:37 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Arguably, that's been the Republican Party strategy since the Government Shutdown of 2013.
    Since 2000, with the fake, angry Brooks Bros. mobs in Florida.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

He said the silent part outloud.

Cornyn: not a bad idea to get US troops out of the way if Turkey planned to ‘ethnically cleanse the Kurds' https://t.co/lNO5SGN3gP

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Holy shit thats....something.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    THIS is the thanks you get when you honorably serve your country in a foreign war:

Marine Corps vet who served in Iraq deported to El Salvador
    Is it a bad thing if the US deports a wife-beater?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

New York Times: Admits huge error.

Mister Mets: "No no, it was actually Hillary's error after all because BLIND HAAAAAATE!"
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    New York Times: Admits huge error.

Mister Mets: "No no, it was actually Hillary's error after all because BLIND HAAAAAATE!"
    My point was that the Times was going off someone else's reporting after Tendrin expressed a conspiratorial belief that it was intentional.

I then considered how someone may in good faith make the error. A factor is that if you just look at what Hillary said, she refers explicitly to Russians and not to Republicans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My point was that the Times was going off someone else's reporting after Tendrin expressed a conspiratorial belief that it was intentional.

I then considered how someone may in good faith make the error. A factor is that if you just look at what Hillary said, she refers explicitly to Russians and not to Republicans.
    Given the NYT's track record with regards to Hillary, you'll forgive me if I'm not simply assuming good faith without taking a more direct look. And they still chose to hire noted conspiracists like Schweitzer to write conspiratorial BS about Hillary Clinton.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Given the NYT's track record with regards to Hillary, you'll forgive me if I'm not simply assuming good faith without taking a more direct look. And they still chose to hire noted conspiracists like Schweitzer to write conspiratorial BS about Hillary Clinton.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Mighty Member

Depends, do they deport European immigrant wife beaters too?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

How dare you follow the rules we set in 2015!!

NEWS: @LindseyGrahamSC and @senatemajldr will introduce Senate resolution condemning House impeachment inquiry today

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Well, as we all know, impeachment isn't supposed to be used to remove a President who subverted the democratic process or used his office to profit from his health code violating hotel. It's supposed to be used to harass a President who cheated on his wife in the Oval Office. Everyone knows that.

Extraordinary Member

Was he a Wife-Beater BEFORE he was diagnosed with PTSD and a Brain Injury that he got in his country's service?