Page 1 of 1172 1234511511015011001 ... LastLast

Default All purpose news and politics thread part v: The quickening

Continued from ALL PURPOSE NEWS AND POLITICS THREAD PART IV: THE CENTER CANNOT HOLD

(And please, don't ask me why the forum "corrected" my post to take away several letters that were capitalized at random in the thread title.)
    Last edited by worstblogever; 10-19-2019 at 05:39 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

With each act of immaturity and ignorance I lower the age i think Trump acts. I first thought he acted like he was in High School, then 8th Grade, then 5th. Now I think he acts like a 3rd Grader, pretending to know what he is talking about but really just imitating what he sees others do.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

A senior US official and the top Kurdish commander both tell @NBCNews
    that the US-Turkish ceasefire is NOT holding. They say Turkey is using the ceasefire to continue to advance and take territory in and around the border city of Ras al-Ayn.
    Twitter Link

---------

Trump-Erdogan-Meme-rev.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    With each act of immaturity and ignorance I lower the age i think Trump acts. I first thought he acted like he was in High School, then 8th Grade, then 5th. Now I think he acts like a 3rd Grader, pretending to know what he is talking about but really just imitating what he sees others do.
    His speeches often sound like an oral report given by a student who forgot to read the source material.

Well, David Duke just endorsed Tulsi for president.

https://www.newsweek.com/tulsi-gabba...oycott-1318365

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Well, David Duke just endorsed Tulsi for president.

https://www.newsweek.com/tulsi-gabba...oycott-1318365
    As if we didn't need enough reasons why Tulsi should not get the nomination.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I had thought limits for threads was over for now ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

I'm not surprised that trump conned his followers into calling the impeachment a coup.

In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace

The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009.

Both Protestantism and Catholicism are experiencing losses of population share. Currently, 43% of U.S. adults identify with Protestantism, down from 51% in 2009. And one-in-five adults (20%) are Catholic, down from 23% in 2009. Meanwhile, all subsets of the religiously unaffiliated population – a group also known as religious “nones” – have seen their numbers swell. Self-described atheists now account for 4% of U.S. adults, up modestly but significantly from 2% in 2009; agnostics make up 5% of U.S. adults, up from 3% a decade ago; and 17% of Americans now describe their religion as “nothing in particular,” up from 12% in 2009. Members of non-Christian religions also have grown modestly as a share of the adult population.

Sadly, the one religious affiliation that NEEDS to die out - ‘born again’/evangelical Protestant - is holding steady. A bastion against reason and compassion, in the name of a god whose voice they seem not to care about...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace

The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009.

Both Protestantism and Catholicism are experiencing losses of population share. Currently, 43% of U.S. adults identify with Protestantism, down from 51% in 2009. And one-in-five adults (20%) are Catholic, down from 23% in 2009. Meanwhile, all subsets of the religiously unaffiliated population – a group also known as religious “nones” – have seen their numbers swell. Self-described atheists now account for 4% of U.S. adults, up modestly but significantly from 2% in 2009; agnostics make up 5% of U.S. adults, up from 3% a decade ago; and 17% of Americans now describe their religion as “nothing in particular,” up from 12% in 2009. Members of non-Christian religions also have grown modestly as a share of the adult population.

Curious to know how many of that 17% still profess belief in a christian god and are simply unaffiliated with any organized religion or refer to themselves as spiritual? I sometimes think these numbers are used to send certain xtians into a panic over "godlessness" and a delusional threat of atheism running rampant in the US, despite the overwhelming majority they continue to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Sadly, the one religious affiliation that NEEDS to die out - ‘born again’/evangelical Protestant - is holding steady. A bastion against reason and compassion, in the name of a god whose voice they seem not to care about...
    Makes sense. The information age has made it easier for thinking people to question the precepts of Bronze Age religions. But people who don't accept science or reality will hold on to their fantasies longer.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Makes sense. The information age has made it easier for thinking people to question the precepts of Bronze Age religions. But people who don't accept science or reality will hold on to their fantasies longer.
    Yeah. I had hoped that the inevitable progress that comes of having kids in the world would help push that crap into the wastebin faster. But I guess having an iron grip on your children, their minds, and their possibility and potential, in the form of home-schooling and religious private schools - like the one I was forced to attend instead of a normal high school - make it hard to break free and escape the hate and stupidity bubble.
    Last edited by zinderel; 10-19-2019 at 12:26 PM.