Page 1038 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 385389389881028103410351036103710381039104010411042104810881138 ... LastLast
Results 15,556 to 15,570 of 17573
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I could however see them having a grievance with the lead up to Super Tuesday and how that situation played out but that’s about it
    That would be them relying on conspiracy theories since their egos can't acknowledge Sanders lost, fair and square. Among all the bases among candidates running, they're by far the most fragile when it comes to their guy losing elections. This is why Sanders should have educated them on the system more than he has and not wound them up so much so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I saw your reply, but I'm not bothering with it.
    That's completely fine.

That said, someone on the previous page of this thread just pointed out that they won't put a dime or a second into trying to get Biden elected.

If you are putting even a moment into telegraphing blaming Sanders' supporters after someone has told you that?

You should be able to realistically ask yourself if your priorities might not be misplaced.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 04-08-2020 at 08:15 PM.

My only point is if you sit out this election, you don't get to complain about Trump when he gets reelected.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That would be them relying on conspiracy theories since their egos can't acknowledge Sanders lost, fair and square. Among all the bases among candidates running, they're by far the most fragile when it comes to their guy losing elections. This is why Sanders should have educated them on the system more than he has and not wound them up so much so quickly.
    It’s not really a conspiracy. The party consolidated around Biden at that last minute in a pretty clear effort to give the moderate a better shot at winning when it looked like a progressive was going to win.

Also Sanders who had more independent voters had less supporters vote for Trump than Hillary voters who went for McCain. A fact that gets constantly ignored in this silly narrative.

It’s a losers mentality.

It’s on Biden now. You can’t complain that Sanders stayed in and was an obstacle. Biden has over half a year to win those people over. If he can’t, just like you criticized younger Sanders voters for not coming out enough as expected for imo, Biden has to prove he can get those people to come out for him in a general. It’s his job now. You can’t always keep an excuse in your back pocket. He got the nom, you know where those people stand, he can get them or not get them, but it’s about his ability to do so now. If he can, good he becomes President. If he can’t, he didn’t do his job

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Sure. But it was the same thing as if Warren had dropped out and endorsed Sanders. That didn’t happen, but, if it had, it isn’t like they would’ve said it was “dirty politics”. It sucks when the wing fighting against you coalesces to defeat you. I get that, but it just turned out this way this time when a progressive ran against the former Vice President of the most popular recent president and politician in the party. It was also an uphill battle to defeat Biden, just as it was to defeat H.W. Bush for the Republican nomination in 1988. But I think that it will be a more wide open field without a clear establishment favorite in 2024. And that will make for an interesting contest.
    I think you have to put yourself in their perspective. Right before Super Tuesday (like literally a few days before)

-Sanders was up in every poll and set to have a big night
    -Biden was struggling with a divided moderate camp.
    -Buttigieg won a state and was a close second in another (aka he really had a claim to being the default moderate pick of Biden stumbled)
    -Klobuchar was poised to win her state and had a few good showings
    -Warren underperformed at nearly every level, was doing worse I’m each contests, did terrible in a border state to hers, and was poised to lose her own state.

Even if Sanders got killed that day regardless, Warren was in the weakest position of the major candidates (I think it was pretty apparent Bloomberg flopped by that point and wasn’t going to win).

But I’m not even saying Warren should have dropped out, I’m saying that two people in a much stronger position had a last minute drop out pretty much 24 hours before to endorse and rally for Biden in what was a pretty unprecedented last ditch effort to save Biden and prevent Bernie from taking an insurmountable lead the polls indicated he was poised to take.

There’s nothing wrong with that. I totally understand how a hardcore dug in Bernie supporter is going to look at that and say “oh they really were more scared of Bernie winning then seeing if they could rally back, when they were in a stronger position than two people who stayed in. Also I think optically when it’s one guy who kept saying the thought of Sanders having the nom terrified him, and a woman who said that she wouldn’t support any of his campaign proposals in the Senate, it’s going to leave them questioning where there place is. That move was a pretty clear “we definitely don’t want Sanders or his policies on this ticket”. Now their job is to work to reconcile that.

It’ll be interesting to see how that goes. Hillary tried to do it by going more left. She also had more baggage though which hurt. I don’t know if I can see Biden going more left.

Tbh it might not even matter, with the coronavirus and the economy, it could make the primary irrelevant come November, this might be the most volatile election lead up ever

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It’s not really a conspiracy. The party consolidated around Biden at that last minute in a pretty clear effort to give the moderate a better shot at winning when it looked like a progressive was going to win.
    It isn't a conspiracy but they view it as one since they don't have the experience to lower their expectations correctly. This was how the "rigged" narrate got started in '16. That's just good politics, not a conspiracy and Sanders likely would have had Warren in his corner doing that right now had he not burnt that bridge to the ground.

Also Sanders who had more independent voters had less supporters vote for Trump than Hillary voters who went for McCain. A fact that gets constantly ignored in this silly narrative.
    This being true does not disprove what I'm saying.

It’s a losers mentality.
    It's not the nominee's who have a problem with losing.

It’s on Biden now. You can’t complain that Sanders stayed in and was an obstacle. Biden has over half a year to win those people over. If he can’t, just like you criticized younger Sanders voters for not coming out enough as expected for imo, Biden has to prove he can get those people to come out for him in a general. It’s his job now. You can’t always keep an excuse in your back pocket. He got the nom, you know where those people stand, he can get them or not get them, but it’s about his ability to do so now. If he can, good he becomes President. If he can’t, he didn’t do his job
    Placing all the whole burden on Biden isn't how this goes, sure he deserves some of it since he is the nominee but Sanders and his followers have their own agency and responsibilities in this process, they're not passive bystanders in elections. Sanders himself sets the tone for how Biden can reach his supporters and he's horrible at doing that for other candidates, his followers do that in spite of him not because of him. It's not an "excuse" it's how politics works in America, no-one is able to avoid the consequence of a Republican president. He can't do that job if Sanders sabotages him from doing it, Sanders isn't that great at forming coalitions which effects transitions like this - he knows how to rev people up but he's clueless into knowing how to cool them down. Sanders' supporters adamant refusal to acknowledge they can do anything wrong is frustrating.

Heard someone on a news show actually float Katie Porter's name in the "VP..." discussion tonight.

That actually ain't the worst idea anyone has ever had. While I'd thought that Booker might be the best person to lay out what Biden is seemingly going for, Porter might actually be the best option I've heard yet on that particular front.

She'd also be something like Warren without having to pull Warren out of Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Re: Joe Biden being Last Man Standing:

I do not ‘like’ Biden.

I think he is DEEPLY problematic on more than a few points.

I am not happy he was foisted on us by the Democratic Party leadership.

I think - no, I KNOW - they could have done better for themselves and the rest of us.

I will not donate money or time to his campaign.

However, despite being deeply problematic, he is not NEARLY as problematic as the man currently in power.

Democrats are NOT ‘just as bad as’/‘the same thing as’ Republicans just because Biden is the last man standing. They aren’t great, I’m not gonna lie...but it takes deliberately manipulative skewing of facts, a disconnect with reality, and/or shameful naivety to say they are ‘the same’.

I will vote for him this year, because no matter what else he is, he isn’t Trump, he isn’t a Republican, he isn’t a far right Christian zealot, and those points alone make him a better choice than another 4 years of the nonsense we’ve put up with over the thousand year reign of madness that has been the last 4...

That is all.
    If Biden wins, I'll probably have something to criticize about him something like 2 or 3 times a month. That said, I fully support him, and I might even donate to his campaign if he picks someone like, say, Michigan Governor Gretchen Witmer as his VP.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Frankly this is why Sanders shouldnt of ran in the first place imo. When your involved in as big a debacle as Trump then DO IT AGAIN its....frustrating to say the least. Especially with his fanbase. You dont see Warren/Pete etc fans going "This is a conspiracy I'm sitting out"

Warren would now be my first choice for VP. Going with cold emotionless logic for a second here and just thinking about what Biden needs the most. The primaries showed that he still has very strong support with black voters and if Obama campaigns for him, that will make support even stronger. Hispanics in the West (mostly Mexican Americans) really got behind Bernie, but there’s no way they vote for Trump. Obviously choosing a woman as VP will increase his popularity with female voters (Trump is already doing poorly with them anyways). Biden generally does well with older voters and I think he is still doing ok with mid western white voters. So the thing be truly lacks is support from the progressive wing of the party. Despite the dust ups with Bernie and his supporters, Warren still has a lot of progressive cred.

Just from personal experience, me and my more liberal friends and family aren’t excited about Biden but will definitely vote for him because he’s not Trump. If Warren was on the ticket it would create some excitement for the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Warren would now be my first choice for VP. Going with cold emotionless logic for a second here and just thinking about what Biden needs the most. The primaries showed that he still has very strong support with black voters and if Obama campaigns for him, that will make support even stronger. Hispanics in the West (mostly Mexican Americans) really got behind Bernie, but there’s no way they vote for Trump. Obviously choosing a woman as VP will increase his popularity with female voters (Trump is already doing poorly with them anyways). Biden generally does well with older voters and I think he is still doing ok with mid western white voters. So the thing be truly lacks is support from the progressive wing of the party. Despite the dust ups with Bernie and his supporters, Warren still has a lot of progressive cred.

Just from personal experience, me and my more liberal friends and family aren’t excited about Biden but will definitely vote for him because he’s not Trump. If Warren was on the ticket it would create some excitement for the ticket.
    I don't think he'll pick a Senator as a running mate. I wouldn't trade a sitting Senator for their weight in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I don't think he'll pick a Senator as a running mate. I wouldn't trade a sitting Senator for their weight in gold.
    I think he only picks a Senator is they will be replaced by another Democrat. Warren might be the exception, but she will probably tell him to avoid picking anyone in her position, herself included. I only see her accepting if Biden convinces her she is the best choice to unite the left without alienating swing voters.
    Dark does not mean deep.

The bulk of the supposed blowback against Joe Biden regarding women is going to be forgotten the minute he picks a female VP candidate and Trump goes on a sexist tirade, only to have Biden respond, "She doesn't need me to defend her, but it's the honorable thing to do. You're a piece of garbage for having said that."

If Biden chooses Warren, expect him to put a foot in Trump's ass if he starts calling her a racial slur (again) and won't stand for it. That's going to look real sympathetic to independent female voters, and a hell of a lot better than "Grab 'Em By the *****" ogre, and all his issues with women.

And whatever woman Biden picks as a VP... Trump will not be able to resist attacking her. Whether it's Kamala, Stacey Abrams, Warren, Klobuchar... he's going to blunder into a sexist attack, whether he makes it himself, or retweets a "joke".
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of Virginia State Senator Dick Black, a man whose voting record included support for welfare drug testing, statistically unnecessary voter ID laws, medically unnecessary ultrasounds for women seeking abortions, and trying to allow adoption agencies to deny gay couples the ability to adopt children based on “religious principles”. But where Black truly stands out is a series of comments through the years he’s made. Black is a former military prosecutor who has stated his feeling that rape was “as predictable as human nature”, and once argued that he wouldn’t prosecute spousal rape because women “wear nighties”. Black also has referred to birth control as “baby pesticide”, blamed the Columbine Massacre on children not being forced to respect their elders by calling them “ma’am or sir” in school, and argued against the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” because he felt it would cause HIV and AIDS to spread through our military’s ranks. He’s also ranted about illegal immigrants spreading the Ebola Virus, praised Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, compared abortion to the Holocaust, and sent tiny dolls of fetuses to the entire Virginia State Assembly, asking them if they would “kill the child” he had sent them by voting against an anti-abortion bill. To put it succinctly, this guy is a friggin’ loon (there’s WAY more in that original entry).

Black made a run at a seat in Congress in 2014, trying to represent Virginia's 10th Congressional District, and failed, and going into the 2019 elections, he's probably going to be more concerned about holding onto ANY seat. Black was regrettably re-elected in the 2015 election in Virginia, with views on social issues more appropriate to 1820. This may have had a lot to do with the fact that he exploited paranoid fears over Planned Parenthood based on a certain faux "sting" video created by the Center for Medical Progress and accused his opponent, a pediatrician named Jill McCabe, of being in favor of late term abortions because she "supports late term abortions. Larger baby parts are more profitable." That was enough of a lie to earn a "Pants on Fire" rating from Politifact, but still dragged Dick Black to the finish line, where he won with 52% of the vote.

In 2016, Black was trying to ban “sexually explicit” instructional material from public schools in Virginia, supporting HB 516, and the main offending work that outraged a parent and moved the bill forward was Toni Morrison’s “Beloved”, but critics of the bill noted that the ban could have applied to any book that included sexual themes, at all. So watch out, huffing and puffing at the door of obscenity was Dick Black, who went online to rail against “Beloved” and its scene where “a hunchbacked older man fantasizes in detail about raping a little girl and leaving her in a pool of her own blood”, continuing, “If it's so graphic that Gwaker can't even print it for their adult readers, then parents should have the right to know.”.… but apparently attacked the wrong Toni Morrison book, discussing explicit content from her first book, “The Bluest Eye”, and misidentifying the online news site Gawker.com with a glaring typo. And Gawker was just not going to let that stand, not only correcting him, but highlighting Twitter users that point out the Bible has scenes where graphic drunken incest and prostitutes being dismembered are written about, and that’s not a problem for Dick Black.

Again, Black supported HB 516, but Gov. Terry McAuliffe was there with a veto stamp to save the day, because it was a glaring violation of our First Amendment and all that. Dick Black spent the 2016 elections to get Ted Cruz nominated as the GOP's pick for president. During that failed effort, he managed to pop off and again brazenly lie about a lady running for office. this time claiming that Hillary Clinton's immigration policy, that she supported the idea, amounted to "ethnic cleansing", ranting in particular about Muslims coming into our country from the Middle East. So you would think that railing against ethnic cleansing would mean Dick Black is disgusted by dictators who kill their own people by the thousands, right? HA! Remember, we're talking about a deranged moron who has previously praised Bashar-al-Assad. That made it a bit less surprising that in January of 2017, Black openly praised the president of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, for carrying out a brutal "war on drugs" that was just a cover for executing thousands of homeless people in his country. Black regarded these Duterte death squads as a good thing, because here in the U.S., we just allow people to smoke marijuana cigarettes. Almost immediately after we ran our last profile of Dick Black, he made the news in Virginia again by going out of his way to make statements about how Syrian dictator Bashar-al-Assad could not have ordered nerve gas to be used against his own people because he has “no motive” to do so: Yes, Dick Black is trying to make people believe that the poor Assad regime is just being framed by ISIS. Mercifully, Dick Black opted to not run for re-election in 2019, and as such, we’ll profile another wacky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 849-45, since this was established in July 2014.)
    Last edited by worstblogever; 04-09-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Guy Reschenthaler

Welcome to what is the 849th original profile here at “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day”, where we’ll be discussing Guy Reschenthaler, the freshman U.S. House Representative from Pennsylvania’s 14th Congressional District and a former member of the Pennsylvania State Senate. Reschenthaler’s reputation as a young up-and-comer in the GOP stems from his work as serving as the defense in a military trial for a Navy SEAL accused of covering up the assault of Ahmad Hashim Abd al-Isawi while he was being detained prior to his execution. And if there’s anything the Republican Party loves right now, it’d defending war crimes.

Anyway, Reschenthaler’s political career is somewhat miraculous given what he was doing upon returning home from Iraq… he was the co-host of a radio show with white nationalist Carl Higbie, who on-air, likes to comment about how African Americans don’t “contribute equally to society”, and that “the black race is lazier than the white race”. And Reschenthaler would like to distance himself from his old racist, sexist, homophobic buddy from conservative radio, and pretend that he barely even knows the guy… and yet he wrote the forward for Higbie’s book, which contains discussions about Hurricane Katrina survivors ("human parasites"), slavery ("I certainly don't agree with slavery, but I do think that you should play the hand you are dealt, and good physical genetics are definitely dealt to many blacks"), Puerto Ricans ("If you are so proud of your old country, then go back"), LGBTQ people ("widespread acceptance is wrong"), Muslims ("it is also my right to be suspicious" of someone wearing a turban), and undocumented immigrants (those who attempt to cross the border should be shot "dead"). When called out for it, Reschenthaler insisted he hadn’t read the book he wrote a glowing forward for.

It will not be surprising to you, then, that Guy Reschenthaler is also a huge cheerleader for Donald Trump, to the extent that it seems to be what he spends most of his energy on since he arrived in Washington, D.C. Whether is was how he rolled up his sleeves to Soviet-esque when he testified before Congress or spread conspiracy theories about his investigation into Donald Trump , (while choosing to not attend hearings to actually try and defend the president). As late as February 12th, 2020, Reschenthaler was giddy as he went on Fox Business to declare “Donald Trump is doing better than ever!”, which lines up on the timeline of a stretch where Trump was ignoring warnings about COVID-19 while hitting the links, and on the precipice of a looming Stock Market Crash due to it.

Pennsylvania’s 14th Congressional District has a +14 Republican lean in the Cook Partisan Voting Index, and in November will face off against William Marx, a civics teacher, veteran, and union member with a Master’s Degree from the University of Pittsburgh. We’re definitely hoping for an upset, but Marx will have a big hill to climb.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 04-09-2020 at 01:53 AM.