Page 169 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 691191591651661671681691701711721731792192696691169 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Exactly. You don't see any of them willing to go to a Mitt Romney rally. Trump has a noxious group of followers who believe everything that Fox News feeds them. They are the Walking Brain Dead.
    Though a certain percentage of those at Trump's Rally's are paid actors.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I could actually see a repeal of the 22nd amendment. If Trump wins reelection (maybe Biden has some really bad interviews where it looks like he doesn't know where he is, or Sanders or Warren just seem too left-wing for swing state voters) Republican legislators might be backed into supporting it because they're afraid of pissing off Trump.

And Democrats would have their own reason to support it, with the recognition that any repeal of the 22nd amendment allows Obama to have another term in the White House.
    Modern day Democrats tend to have an aversion to tampering with things like that. Obama doesn't want to be President again, and no other Dem wants to be President for more than two terms. Except perhaps for Tulsi Gabbard, I wonder about her lately.

Mitch McConnell: Everything I do during this, I’m coordinating with White House Counsel. There will be no difference between the President’s position and our position as to how to handle this
    Twitter Link with Video

Isn't that like half the jury asking the Defense Lawyers how they should vote in the trial?

Josh Barro sees a connection to the British election and 2020.

Yes, I do expect this result to repeat: A widely unpopular leader who drags down his party's support from levels you would expect based on fundamentals, Donald Trump, will lose to a lovable, doofy insider politician with a history of making up weird stories, Joe Biden.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    People **** in their pants and act like Trump is Satan himself. He’s just a lowbrow, orange skinned, bloviating moron, it’s his base that has Republicans terrified. Like I’ve said before, and I believe this wholeheartedly, the GOP knows Trump’s followers are more loyal to him instead of the party, if they lose him, they lose his supporters, and without them, they lose any chance of retaining the White House.
    This is a pretty divided country (the highest percentage of the popular vote any President got in my lifetime was 53.4%), so even if the group of people who would stay home or vote third party if Trump told them to do that, that could definitely swing the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Modern day Democrats tend to have an aversion to tampering with things like that. Obama doesn't want to be President again, and no other Dem wants to be President for more than two terms. Except perhaps for Tulsi Gabbard, I wonder about her lately.
    I think repealing the 22nd amendment would be a bad idea, but I could imagine people on both sides going for it. I get that it's ridiculously unlikely.

I'm not a Democrat so I may be off on how Democrats think in general, but my sense is that there's no one out there at the moment who the majority of voters would prefer to more Obama. He is often referred to as a once in a generation talent, and if taken literally, that suggests we shouldn't expect anyone on his level for another few presidential cycles.

The Onion made fun of how a Bill Clinton primary run could be seen in 2008, and I do get the sense Democrats widely prefer Obama to Bill now, so the voters may very well find themselves able to back another candidate as passionately later.

https://politics.theonion.com/bill-c...ent-1819569570

To be fair to Obama, he doesn't have Bill Clinton's moral shortcomings.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Nadler sent everyone home to get some sleep, thatteh vote would be at 10 AM. Republicans are angry. Fighting with Democrats over this for 14 hours straight isn't enough.

Like a little kid who cries that he doesn't want to go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    People **** in their pants and act like Trump is Satan himself. He’s just a lowbrow, orange skinned, bloviating moron, it’s his base that has Republicans terrified. Like I’ve said before, and I believe this wholeheartedly, the GOP knows Trump’s followers are more loyal to him instead of the party, if they lose him, they lose his supporters, and without them, they lose any chance of retaining the White House.
    They don't need Trump in office forever, because whoever they find to run after him will be twice as bad.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Nadler sent everyone home to get some sleep, thatteh vote would be at 10 AM. Republicans are angry. Fighting with Democrats over this for 14 hours straight isn't enough.

Like a little kid who cries that he doesn't want to go to bed.
    I watched some of it but it got tiresome when the GOP would answer back with their weak counterpoints. It's been said many times but the simple test is replace Trump's name in the indictment with Obama's and you'd see all of them go hair on fire nuts ready to hang him.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    And maybe Ireland as well. I never thought I'd see the United Kingdom fall...
    All that has happened is that Tories won an election.

Apart from wishful thinking that was very predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

This result was predictable. I think Boris might be the second least popular politician in the UK, but Corbyn is the one guy ahead of him. If he wanted his party to have had a better chance, he needed to have stepped down before the election rather than after. Not sure if it would have changed the final result, but even a Yank like me who is only partly paying attention could see how unpopular Corbyn is.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    This result was predictable. I think Boris might be the second least popular politician in the UK, but Corbyn is the one guy ahead of him. If he wanted his party to have had a better chance, he needed to have stepped down before the election rather than after. Not sure if it would have changed the final result, but even a Yank like me who is only partly paying attention could see how unpopular Corbyn is.
    It really was a dire choice. I actually thought about not voting at all, which would have been a first for me.

I actually think in or out of EU...although clearly an important issue...is not the super massively important thing so many of us believe it is.

If UK manage to negotiate a reasonable trade deal (maybe a big if, given “competence” of UK politicians) then I think in a few years time every will wonder what all the angst was about.

I hope Scottish people reflect on Brexit debacle...and reflect that separating from UK has many of the same pros and cons as U.K. exiting EU.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Predictable, yeah, I'm really not surprised by anything anymore. Maybe I'm just being gloomy though, maybe your new government won't royally screw up the border dispute, alienate sizable chunks of the population, and gut everything they can to stuff their own pockets. It's what the GOP would do, but I'm just making assumption about how things work in the UK.

wh-wh-whaaaaat????

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politi...238320918.html

It’s not clear if Betty Carnes was killed by asphyxiation or by the eight blows to her head that Delmar Partin delivered with a metal pipe. The coroner couldn’t tell which killed the mother of three first, but it was very clear that her head was then chopped off and placed on her lap in a 55-gallon barrel that was destined for a toxic waste site.

On Monday, departing Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin pardoned and commuted the sentence of Partin, who was convicted of killing her at the factory where they both worked in Barbourville in 1994.

In his order, Bevin said he pardoned Partin because potential DNA evidence had not been tested.